English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 13 November 2015, 00:18   #1
mechanic_2
Mechanic

Send a message via Yahoo to mechanic_2
Using AmigaForever 2014!

Hello all,
I am back after 15 years or so. I am using AmigaForever 2014 right now. I plan on building an Amiga some time in the future. I want to transfer control from the .hdf to a real hard drive right after the Amiga starts to boot. How can I do this?
Thanks,
rich!
Old 13 November 2015, 17:50   #2
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Not sure I understand what you intend to do.

Do you want to keep the HDF and boot to a real HD or replace the HDF with the real HD?
Old 14 November 2015, 07:26   #3
mechanic_2
Mechanic

Turning control over to the files on a different partition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
Not sure I understand what you intend to do.

Do you want to keep the HDF and boot to a real HD or replace the HDF with the real HD?
Well I have installed OS3.9 on a harddrive that I call Amiga. The .HDF is supplied by AF but I want to be able to boot up and then immediately change the appropriate assigns and paths to point to the OS on the regular partition. I guess it is an experiment to help me relearn the Amiga. I hope this helps to explain it better.
Thanks,
rich!
Old 14 November 2015, 16:14   #4
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I'm sorry but I still don't fully understand.

Why not make a config that can boot from the OS3.9 Harddrive?
Old 15 November 2015, 03:15   #5
mechanic_2
Mechanic

Booting OS3.9 in AF!

Quote:
I'm sorry but I still don't fully understand.

Why not make a config that can boot from the OS3.9 Harddrive?
I don't know how to do this. Would you please walk me through the procedure?
Thanks,
rich!
Old 15 November 2015, 16:38   #6
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Firstly AF can't actually boot from an Amiga Formatted HardDrive. I've tried in the past and it always results in a blank WB screen.

There is a way to boot from your real HD using AF but it requires you to use WinUAE.

Make sure your real HD is attached to the PC.

Go to the tools, options tab and down the bottom of the panel tick 'F12 for runtime options'

Start the Workbench 3.x config and press F12

In WinUAE properties click on CD & Hard drives. Delete DH0 by highlighting the entry and clicking 'remove'. Click the 'add hard drives...' tab and select your Harddrive. ( it will be the one with RDB in the title). Move it to the top of the list above DH1.

Click on configurations and add a name for your config, eg... WB3.9 and click save.

Click reset and your HD should now load.

To use this config you need to start AF Workbench 3.x, press F12, select you config and click reset.

You can also download WinUAE as a standalone emu to AF (WinUAE does support using real Amiga Hardrives). You can use the config you just created to boot your HD. As you already have AF installed you already have all the stuff you need to use WinUAE out of the box. You just need to set WinUAE to use AF configuration and do a rom scan.

EDIT: If anyone's interested, you can use a USB pendrive (Fat32) as an Amiga drive just by copying the WB files to it and editing the AF rp9-manifest.xml file. Add this line for your Pendrive <harddrive root="root" undo="false">H:</harddrive> (change the H: to whatever your drive letter is)

Last edited by Arnie; 21 January 2016 at 12:56.
Old 16 November 2015, 11:18   #7
mechanic_2
Mechanic

Quote:
Firstly AF can't actually boot from an Amiga Formatted HardDrive. I've tried in the past and it always results in a blank WB screen.

There is a way to boot from your real HD using AF but it requires you to use WinUAE.

Make sure your real HD is attached to the PC.

Go to the tools, options tab and down the bottom of the panel tick 'F12 for runtime options'

Start the Workbench 3.x config and press F12

In WinUAE properties click on CD & Hard drives. Delete DH0 by highlighting the entry and clicking 'remove'. Click the 'add hard drives...' tab and select your Harddrive. ( it will be the one with RDB in the title). Move it to the top of the list above DH1.

Click on configurations and add a name for your config, eg... WB3.9 and click save.

Click reset and your HD should now load.

To use this config you need to start AF Workbench 3.x, press F12, select you config and click reset.

You can also download WinUAE as a standalone emu to AF (WinUAE does support using real Amiga Hardrives). You can use the config you just created to boot your HD. As you already have AF installed you already have all the stuff you need to use WinUAE out of the box. You just need to set WinUAE to use AF configuration and do a rom scan.

EDIT: If anyone's interested, you can use a USB pendrive (Fat32) as an Amiga drive just by copying the WB files to it and editing the AF rp9-manifest.xml file. Add this line for your Pendrive <harddrive root="root" undo="false">H:</harddrive> (change the H: to whatever your drive letter is)
Arnie,
I am using WinUAE in conjunction with AmigaForever. I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say to press this or that. What is the tools, options tab? What do you mean by WB3.x config and F12. So you're going to have to walk me through this.
I am getting ready to setup my SCSI drives to install the AmigOS on to. That will take a while as I back up and move files.
Thanks,
rich!
P.S. Are you in the US?
rich!
Old 16 November 2015, 13:56   #8
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Have you Installed WinUAE as well as AF or are you using WinUAE that was Installed by AF?
Old 16 November 2015, 14:00   #9
mechanic_2
Mechanic

Quote:
Have you Installed WinUAE as well as AF or are you using WinUAE that was Installed by AF?
Arnie,
I am using the WinUAE that was installed by AF.
Thanks,
rich!
Old 16 November 2015, 14:25   #10
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

When you start AF there are 4 drop down menus at the top: File, View, Tools, Help.

Click on the Tools tab and choose options from the drop down menu. At the bottom of the menu you will find the option 'F12 for runtime options'. This will enable the F12 key to bring up the WinUAE GUI. (You may already have this enabled if you are using WinUAE).

Underneath the 4 drop down menus you have the Games, DemoScene, Systems, Gallery, Videos tabs. If you click on the Systems tab you will find the Workbench 3.x entry.
This is an A4000 setup (ideal for WB3.9). Start the entry and press F12 when the screen goes black to enter the WinUAE GUI.
Old 16 November 2015, 15:08   #11
mechanic_2
Mechanic

Quote:
When you start AF there are 4 drop down menus at the top: File, View, Tools, Help.

Click on the Tools tab and choose options from the drop down menu. At the bottom of the menu you will find the option 'F12 for runtime options'. This will enable the F12 key to bring up the WinUAE GUI. (You may already have this enabled if you are using WinUAE).

Underneath the 4 drop down menus you have the Games, DemoScene, Systems, Gallery, Videos tabs. If you click on the Systems tab you will find the Workbench 3.x entry.
This is an A4000 setup (ideal for WB3.9). Start the entry and press F12 when the screen goes black to enter the WinUAE GUI.
Arnie,
I figured this part out. I am waiting for a bunch of files to be moved so that I can redo my SCSI drives. I should be able to boot from them without booting into XP Am I correct in this? I also would like to use the SFS file system so that AmigaOS can see large drives, partitions, and files. Where is the spell checker in this editor?
Thanks,
rich!
Old 16 November 2015, 20:44   #12
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic_2 View Post
Arnie,
I should be able to boot from them without booting into XP Am I correct in this?
rich!
If you mean setting AF to boot from HD then that's a different ballgame all together.

I have never successfully done this myself so I wouldn't know.
Old 16 November 2015, 20:51   #13
mechanic_2
Mechanic

Quote:
If you mean setting AF to boot from HD then that's a different ballgame all together.

I have never successfully done this myself so I wouldn't know.
Arnie,
So the best way is to do the configuration of WinUAE and then I can use OS3.9 and have my files setup as if I am using a real Amiga. Correct? Does this editor have a spell checker?
Thanks,
rich!
Old 16 November 2015, 21:17   #14
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Arnie,
So the best way is to do the configuration of WinUAE and then I can use OS3.9 and have my files setup as if I am using a real Amiga. Correct? Does this editor have a spell checker?
Thanks,
rich!
Yes, but you don't need a real HD for that you just create a new RP9 with a new HDF and Install OS3.9 to it. (you can also make a HDF image of your real HD)

What's with the spell checker?
Old 17 November 2015, 00:19   #15
mechanic_2
Mechanic

Arrow

Quote:
Yes, but you don't need a real HD for that you just create a new RP9 with a new HDF and Install OS3.9 to it. (you can also make a HDF image of your real HD)

What's with the spell checker?
Arnie,
I want to put my AmigaOS 3.9 on a drive partition and install work on a different partition. Can I do this and how? I am still very green at this. Is there a spell checker with this editor? If so how do I access it?
Thanks,
rich!
Old 17 November 2015, 00:31   #16
mechanic_2
Mechanic

Quote:
Arnie,
I want to put my AmigaOS 3.9 on a drive partition and install work on a different partition. Can I do this and how? I am still very green at this. Is there a spell checker with this editor? If so how do I access it?
Thanks,
rich!
Arnie,
Here is my next dumb question. How do I use SFS and format the drive?
Thanks,
rich!
Old 17 November 2015, 02:39   #17
ma693541
Computer Wizard

As I understand it, you want to replace the whole Windows boot up with a AmigaOS boot up, right? Well, if you have AmigaForever delivered on a DVD you can use that DVD to boot up your PC direct in a AmigaOS Workbench, but that boot up use first Linux with a Amiga emulator to emulate the AmigaOS. Only AROS and it's Distro's, very similar to AmigaOS, can be installed and run from a cold start on a PC, not AmigaOS itself. In that case use a old PC and not a brand new one. Different OS and architecture inside the machines. Don't bother to try to install a AmigaOS boot up on your real PC harddrive, it won't work and without a recovery partition you have maybe ruined your PC for good.
Old 17 November 2015, 03:16   #18
mechanic_2
Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma693541 View Post
As I understand it, you want to replace the whole Windows boot up with a AmigaOS boot up, right? Well, if you have AmigaForever delivered on a DVD you can use that DVD to boot up your PC direct in a AmigaOS Workbench, but that boot up use first Linux with a Amiga emulator to emulate the AmigaOS. Only AROS and it's Distro's, very similar to AmigaOS, can be installed and run from a cold start on a PC, not AmigaOS itself. In that case use a old PC and not a brand new one. Different OS and architecture inside the machines. Don't bother to try to install a AmigaOS boot up on your real PC harddrive, it won't work and without a recovery partition you have maybe ruined your PC for good.
ma693541,
Well this should help you to understand better. I am not going to install AmigaOS on my boot drive. I want to install it on one of my SCSI drives. I then would like to be able to boot into AmigaOS from that drive. Would I need to install Linux, UAE, and then the AmigaOS?
Thanks,
rich!
P.S. What is your name?
Thanks,
rich!
Old 18 November 2015, 11:39   #19
mechanic_2
Mechanic

Quote:
ma693541,
Well this should help you to understand better. I am not going to install AmigaOS on my boot drive. I want to install it on one of my SCSI drives. I then would like to be able to boot into AmigaOS from that drive. Would I need to install Linux, UAE, and then the AmigaOS?
Thanks,
rich!
P.S. What is your name?
Thanks,
rich!
Hello all,
This is where I am at. I have two SCSI drives that I want to use in AF. One of them will be the boot drive. I can install Linux on it and boot into that and then into AF. If not possible I would like to then install OS3.9 on it and just use play to execute AF. The other drive will would become Work.
The problem is that when I use HDToolBox with the uaescsi.device and I try to access this drive I get a crash report and the AMIGA side locks up. I can access the CD-Rom drives. So how do I proceed? I apologize for my lack of knowledge here. I am learning several different systems at the same time.
Thanks,
rich!
Old 20 November 2015, 16:10   #20
mechanic_2
Mechanic

Quote:
Hello all,
This is where I am at. I have two SCSI drives that I want to use in AF. One of them will be the boot drive. I can install Linux on it and boot into that and then into AF. If not possible I would like to then install OS3.9 on it and just use play to execute AF. The other drive will would become Work.
The problem is that when I use HDToolBox with the uaescsi.device and I try to access this drive I get a crash report and the AMIGA side locks up. I can access the CD-Rom drives. So how do I proceed? I apologize for my lack of knowledge here. I am learning several different systems at the same time.
Thanks,
rich!
Hello all,
Is there anyone here that can help me out?
Thanks,
rich!