English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL contributions

Old 30 November 2003, 21:34   #1
cebulba

Smile My first contributions to the HOL

hello folks.

While I write this I'm currently uploading missing boxscans to start contributing to the HOL (as promised a long time ago to one of the members).

These are:
SPACE CUTTER (with reference to another Thread)

missing box scans of Magnetic Scrolls games:
Corruption (US Cover Version)
Fish! (US Cover Version)
MYTH (one of the rarest games ever!)
Guild of Thieves
The Pawn
Wonderland

There is a different cover existing for THE PAWN - there is a small difference with the writing of the Title. I don't know if this belongs to another AMIGA version - but for PC there are...

While searching before Uploading I found out that there are TWO Wonderland data set entries - with no difference.
It might interest you that there is a 512K Version of this game existing - with the same cover than the 1MB Version. I uploaded the 512K Version - there's only a small sticker on it which differs from the 1MB Version....

MORE Scans will follow.
I'm scanning within the next weeks ALL missing Covers of the SSI games (US,UK and AUS Version....)
Old 30 November 2003, 22:04   #2
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Thanks for the scans, cebulba. I've added your name to the contributors' list.

Can you upload 'CorruptionUS-Front_XXL.jpg' again please? The file is only 511 bytes in size.

The two Wonderland names in the database point to the same entry, but I've removed one that is not needed.
Old 30 November 2003, 23:40   #3
cebulba

Quote:
Originally posted by CodyJarrett
Thanks for the scans, cebulba. I've added your name to the contributors' list.

Can you upload 'CorruptionUS-Front_XXL.jpg' again please? The file is only 511 bytes in size.
fixed!

Quote:
The two Wonderland names in the database point to the same entry, but I've removed one that is not needed.
Will you please add to the description below that there is a 512K version existing ("...needs 1MB RAM....")?

I can scan the full contents of the MAGNETIC SCOLLS games (e.g. maps, cards, contracts, newspaper, coins...) - need this?
or this has to be added to ACID - once it's finished...
Old 01 December 2003, 00:02   #4
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Okay, done.

Scans of those other things would be good!
Old 01 December 2003, 17:58   #5
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Re: My first contributions to the HOL

Quote:
Originally posted by cebulba
While searching before Uploading I found out that there are TWO Wonderland data set entries - with no difference.
A game in HOL can have multiple names (e.g. Wonderland, Wonderland: Dream the Dream) if it is identified that way in the game or its packaging, yet point to the same entry. The multiple names are included to increase the success of searches by HOL users.

Quote:
It might interest you that there is a 512K Version of this game existing - with the same cover than the 1MB Version. I uploaded the 512K Version - there's only a small sticker on it which differs from the 1MB Version....[/B]
Have you successfully loaded the 512k version of Wonderland on a 512k machine?

The reason I ask is that the instructions of my 1Mb original actually state:

1Mb ram minimum, the more the better.

What do your Amiga instructions say?

I decided to test my 1Mb original. When I booted it on a 512k A500 and selected the default graphics mode #1 (320x256 16 colours), it aborted the loading after a short while and said it couldn't allocate enough memory.

I'm just wondering if the game box you have is an Atari ST one with an Amiga sticker on it, because my instructions say it comes in 512k and 1Mb versions.

BTW thanks for the scans!

@Cody
Gotta be careful with the 255 character limit in the notes section of games. The Wonderland version info. got chopped off. Leave it for now until we suss out whether 512k and 1Mb versions actually exist.
Old 01 December 2003, 18:38   #6
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Re: Re: My first contributions to the HOL

Quote:
Originally posted by DrBong
@Cody
Gotta be careful with the 255 character limit in the notes section of games. The Wonderland version info. got chopped off. Leave it for now until we suss out whether 512k and 1Mb versions actually exist.
Ooops, I forgot about that. I've restored the original notes until we work it out.
Old 02 December 2003, 12:45   #7
cebulba

Quote:
Originally posted by DrBong
[B]A game in HOL can have multiple names (e.g. Wonderland, Wonderland: Dream the Dream) if it is identified that way in the game or its packaging, yet point to the same entry. The multiple names are included to increase the success of searches by HOL users.
so referring to the other Thread there are multiple games listed with each own ID!

Quote:

Have you successfully loaded the 512k version of Wonderland on a 512k machine?

The reason I ask is that the instructions of my 1Mb original actually state:

1Mb ram minimum, the more the better.

What do your Amiga instructions say?

I decided to test my 1Mb original. When I booted it on a 512k A500 and selected the default graphics mode #1 (320x256 16 colours), it aborted the loading after a short while and said it couldn't allocate enough memory.

I'm just wondering if the game box you have is an Atari ST one with an Amiga sticker on it, because my instructions say it comes in 512k and 1Mb versions.

BTW thanks for the scans!
no - not loaded, yet. The reason:
All my AMIGA machines (A600,A500,A1200,A2000,CDTV) have acceleration cards....but I may check this with the CDTV next days...

No, it's not an ATARI ST box (as you can see on the scan -which shows it's for AMIGA).
For the instructions - seems that mine are the same as yours.

no problem for the scans - more will follow :-)
Old 02 December 2003, 15:11   #8
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
so referring to the other Thread there are multiple games listed with each own ID!
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say here, but I'll try to explain it better.

The 2 Wonderland entries (Wonderland, Wonderland: Dream the Dream) that showed up in your HOL search before pointed to the same game ID or information page. You said yourself that there were no differences between the 2 entries, and that was the reason why.

Games like Whirligig/Spacecutter are different in terms of game content (i.e. probably just the titlescreen in this case). Consequently, they are assigned different game IDs or information pages.

The game names that show up in a search should not be mistaken for IDs. The IDs are numerical and are shown at the end of the URL for a specific game. For example, the ID for Typhoon Thompson/Typhoon Thompson In Search For The Sea Child is 1550. Click on the link and you will see.

Quote:
No, it's not an ATARI ST box (as you can see on the scan -which shows it's for AMIGA).
For the instructions - seems that mine are the same as yours.
It could be a box that was intended for an Atari ST version (which has 512k & 1Mb versions). The scan shows that it has an Amiga sticker attached, but that the info. about 512k & 1Mb versions is actually printed on the box itself. Maybe by mistake, the Amiga version was packed in the box instead of the Atari ST version, and an Amiga sticker was attached to it.

If your instructions say the game requires a minimum of 1Mb ram like mine, then I'm willing to bet that there is no 512k Amiga version of Wonderland. The only way to find out is if you can test your disk version on a 512k machine. If you can arrange it, we would be most grateful The HOL team continually strives to ensure that all information entered is correct.
Old 08 December 2003, 20:29   #9
cebulba

One short reply after the weekend break :-)

1). Thanks for pointing the "ID Problem" out. No I know exactly what you meant before....and I'm completely wrong ;-)

until next time...

2). On contributing boxscans I have one more question left:
Is there a need for boxscans on other versions?
e.g.:
There are two different box covers published for most LEVEL9 Adventures (UK and US Releases). On most games I do have the AMIGA boxes but where I wasn't able to find one (right now) I do have a C-64 Box - which is the same as the released AMIGA version (only the platform sticker is different - of course).
Do you want these C-64 scans?
To my opinion it's even better to have a "conversion" scan than none...and in addition the boxes are looking the same (for sure!).

3.) My apologize - haven't managed to test the 512K version, yet.
But as I have seen (and owned) it several times on Ebay - there must be a 512K version....

Will check this....or am I the only one who owns a 512K version?

4.) for the contents of the Magnetic Scrolls games or others: Right now I only want to scan missing boxes (which are quite a lot to come by)...but I want to send you some pictures on "unique" or "hard to find" items....think of T-Shirt pics (Shadow of the Beast 1&2) or the original "ACTIONWARE PHASER GUN"....

I'm actually scanning all SSI games with different versions (US,UK and AUS)....which means a lot!

I will upload the first ones right NOW :-) check the ftp server...

regards,
Olli K.

www.RingsofZilfin.de.vu
Old 08 December 2003, 20:54   #10
cebulba

second batch of scans

These are:

by SSI

Conflict Korea (original release)
Dungeon Master Assistant Vol.I (original release)
Hillsfar (original release)
Overrun! (original release)
Phantasie III (original release)
Storm Across Europe (original release)
Sword of Aragon (original release)
Waterloo (SSI release - it's the same game as published by PSS)

others:
Pipe Dream (Lucasfilm version)
Speedball (Us Version by Cinemaware/Spotlight) - I just scanned this one for kametyken (Gods-country.de)
btw does anybody know if the MIRROR SOFT version also came with poster? I had this one more than 6 times - but none had a poster...rumours told me that's originally had one...

"original release" means these are the SSI published ones.
Some of you may know there are other version published by US GOLD (mostly in a small white box, e.g. Hillsfar, Heroes of Lance) and in Australia ECP ("Entertaining australia...") re-released the Gold Boxes...(e.g. Pool of Radiance, but also Rebel Charge at Chikamauga and others...).

by for now.

Olli K.
Old 05 February 2004, 09:46   #11
Walker

Is it possible for you to rescan the SSI boxes in a higher resolution? The width of HOL scans should be 640, but the SSI boxes are all ~575.

I added Speedball and Pipe Dream though.
Old 05 February 2004, 11:00   #12
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
My apologize - haven't managed to test the 512K version, yet. But as I have seen (and owned) it several times on Ebay - there must be a 512K version....

Will check this....or am I the only one who owns a 512K version?
No problem, Cebulba. You were right.....there are 2 versions of Wonderland. I came across a review in CU Amiga and they mentioned that there were 512k and 1Mb versions released. They said the 512k version was missing features offered in the 1Mb version, but didn't elaborate as to what they were. Have to track down a 512k version to find out what it's missing I guess, since your manual appears to be the same as mine.

Thanks for letting me know about the 2 Wonderland versions in the first place