English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware pics

Old 11 July 2006, 21:54   #1
keropi

Big grin Just install a tiny push-button on my Amiga keyboard to control AGA/RTG !

Just installed this tiny button, it rox!

...and on the back of the keyboard is it's input cable!
It controls the Multimedia & Design digital monitor switch.
The button place seems a little odd, but only there it did not touch the keyboards circuits, it needed some space. but in works like a dream! (for a manual one that is....)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mon-swtch.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	11544  
Old 11 July 2006, 22:22   #2
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
Very nice, your gaming machine is almost a masterpiece now
I see your Competition Pro joypad lurking in the background like it's doing here between both of my A4000 keyboards
Old 11 July 2006, 22:31   #3
keropi

yeah, those joypads are great...

I still wait for the z4 med/zorro+winner tower combo ... that would be nice to works as it is said to, lol
even got an RBM keyboard adaptor from DoctorQ to get rid of the elbox adaptor that has some probs with multiple key-presses... wish me luck!
Old 11 July 2006, 23:33   #4
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keropi
wish me luck!

good luck
Old 12 July 2006, 07:23   #5
keropi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
good luck
mui gracias!
Old 17 July 2006, 22:07   #6
Gavilan
Amiga user & abuser

Send a message via ICQ to Gavilan Send a message via MSN to Gavilan
Keropi: i have the same model, but i dont know how to use it (the manual is in german, with no pictures, and i dont speak german). Would you tell what is the 10pin connector on the left of the card? I mean, what do you have to connect there???. and the 15 pin output, one is for connecting a Pc monitor, right? and the other one?? Could you show me please, so i can do the same you did? (it seems previously owner also did a tiny push button, so i only have to glue it to my A4000 keyboard just like you did)
Kind Regards
Sebastian
Old 17 July 2006, 22:48   #7
keropi

I had the same probs, Thomas explained the pins here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=21449

the multi-colored little cable came with the switch, and I use it to connect the DCE internal SD/FF I have... I have made an exact replica of it for the voodoo3 card I have on g-rex, it is just a female vga-plug that ends to this little connector... keep in mind that the bvision/cvision do not need such an adaptor, you just plug their cable to the switch...

here is the layout and a 5 min lame_instructions.jpg so you can easily see the correct settings for a push button (like the reset buttons on towers...)
You must remember that input #1 is what the switch outputs by default from boot, so put the RTG card there... if u want put aga there, but u have to press the button after each boot to see the workbench...

I hope you do not find offensive the pic and it helps you....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M&D_switch.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	11592   Click image for larger version

Name:	lame_instructions.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	11593  
Old 17 July 2006, 22:51   #8
keropi

oh, and I actually drilled 2 holes on the keyboard:
one on top to put the push-button there and the other on the back to put the "plug" that goes to the button...
the pug is actually a 3.5" headphones plug and I use a 1.5m headhones extension to connect the switch to the keyboard... those are all cheaply available in an electronics store...
Old 17 July 2006, 23:24   #9
Gavilan
Amiga user & abuser

Send a message via ICQ to Gavilan Send a message via MSN to Gavilan
keropi: great info!!! Thanks a lot for all the info and for the fast answer!! I dont feel the pic offensive at all, instead, it was a great info you gave me!!!!
As soon i get home i will try to do the same switch you did and try to post a pic of it!!!
One little question left: so in input #1 you put the cable of your gfx card? Or the DCE scandoubler?? I dont get it...where is that cable going to or coming from??? I dont seem to remembere of having such a cable...Please clarify this to me!!!
Thanks a lot!!!
Sebastian
Old 22 July 2006, 19:08   #10
keropi

u need a cable that has a vga-female on the one end, and pins on the other to plug to the card... gonna post a pic when I get back on my a1200...
Old 08 October 2006, 10:11   #11
wizard66
FPGA Replay inside A590

I have a thing like that to.
It is posible to make it auto switch

Sourse:http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showha...cgi?HARDID=780

The black wire shown in the pictures is not part of the original unit, but was added by the user to turn the unit into an auto-switcher.

Sombody know how ? or is this info lost forever
Old 08 October 2006, 10:37   #12
thomas

IIRC the wire goes to the parallel port and cgx software was patched to set a bit on the port whenever it switches to RTG and reset it when switching to AGA.

I found the (german) description here : http://people.freenet.de/CHRAmiga.de/Monswit.html
Old 08 October 2006, 11:30   #13
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

What is the quality like of this analog switcher? Do you get any ringing / distortions at high dot-clocks?
Old 08 October 2006, 12:47   #14
keropi

nop, the pic is very clear....
Old 08 October 2006, 12:50   #15
keropi

@thomas: this info u discovered is AMAZING !!!
can you make a rough translation of the steps to take? I wanna try it immediatelly! auto-switch!

Last edited by keropi; 08 October 2006 at 21:24.
Old 08 October 2006, 13:07   #16
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh
What is the quality like of this analog switcher? Do you get any ringing / distortions at high dot-clocks?
For me 1027x768 at 70 Hz was the highest with an acceptable quality. Going up to 72Hz or even 75Hz gave visible shadows in the picture. I didn't test higher resolutiuons, but I guess it's even worse.

Also when using it with a push-button it tends to switch by itself to the unwanted mode.
Old 08 October 2006, 14:42   #17
keropi

problems with the push-button? maybe u need another thomas...
also, I have not tested it above 1024x768/70hz... I find higher resolutions too small, and if u use a bigger monitor, then low-res stuff like games look awfull...
I hope some German speaking member gives a rough translation of the instructions to make it an auto-switch...
Old 08 October 2006, 21:25   #18
keropi

tried to babelfish the page, made no sense... anyone can help???
also there is the schematics of the MM switcher on this site!
Old 08 October 2006, 22:47   #19
thomas

I won't translate the entire page. It is filled with criticism of the bad design, poor documentation and high price of the monitor switch. Actually this says more about the author than about the hardware. He was banned from several german Amiga forums because of his rude behaviour and radical opinions.

Well, the picture shows how to connect the monitor switch to pin 13 of the parallel port through a transistor. The resistor has 47K Ohm.

Then you install the CGXPatch which makes cgx control pin 13 of the parallel port. The archive also contains a program called "SetToOutput" which is needed to set pin 13 to output. Run it before cgx initialises.

The page also mentions several programs including WHDload which tend to reset pin 13 to input, so you have to run SetToOutput again if this happens, otherwise the switch will no longer work automatically.
Old 08 October 2006, 23:12   #20
keropi

ok then, Thanx thomas! that info should be enough I think...
I will test it and let u know...