English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 10 October 2012, 13:11   #61
grobda

syndicate plus for me. was on a cd-rom, had the extra mission pack. loaded it up and it was also higher res and had music.
Old 10 October 2012, 14:29   #62
deicidal
Registered Insane

I remember been blown away when I first saw doom however I had a measly 286 at the time however my trusty a500 was becoming less and less trust worthy while my pc was getting more powerful. In the end the a500 was only really getting used for doing diagrams for Uni and then it was a bit of a Prayer and hope that it wouldn't crash. So finally it ended up in the attic at my parents.

When it came out when they moved after a bit of fiddling i did manage to get it to fire up but it didn't last for very long.
Old 03 November 2012, 16:03   #63
-Acid-

Although I played Duke 3D, Doom and Forsaken etc well before then, it wasn't until I saw the demo of Unreal Tournament and knew there and then gaming was going to change forever. My first pc could barely handle it and I still played on my amiga, having them side by side on a desk. Then towards the end of summer in 2001 I finally had saved up and bought a good enough pc and got Telewest broadband installed and then I fell into a near 5 year addiction to UT and the clan scene and that was basically the only game I played from late 2001 until the end of 2005. I played it still until 2009 but not nearly as much as all of my clan had drifted away from the game in 2005 and I had a hard time finding another bunch of cool players to team with.

I always knew the old A1200T would make a comeback though, I never sold it.... it just lived in the bottom of my wardrobe for a few years taking a well earned rest! And now it's back out and has had more money spent on it than ever before (060, ZIV busboard, Indi).
Old 04 November 2012, 03:35   #64
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Day of the Tentacle.
Old 04 November 2012, 17:25   #65
Geraldine
Amigas4Ever!

Location: Sunny Scotland. Anarchy System Tech Level 0 No Police Presence. Enter At Own Risk!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
It was Frontier: First Encounters
That game is a bit contentious for me as an Amiga version was promised by David Braben (I even still have the CU Amiga review of it), but due to a court case between David and Gametek, the Amiga version was never released. I always wondered if there was an unfinished Amiga version laying around in his archives someplace.
Old 05 November 2012, 02:28   #66
Gunbot

X-Wing got me wavering and then Tie Fighter took me over to the dark side completely. Sam & Max was just more icing on top. Then along came Battle Arena Toshinden for the PSX and it was on to consoles from then on out.

Last edited by Gunbot; 10 November 2012 at 11:39.
Old 14 November 2012, 20:00   #67
Captain_ Kal

Wing Commander Privateer 2. (Although I kept my A1200).
Old 16 November 2012, 00:35   #68
draeke

Monkey Island 2.
On PC it had the awesome 256 colors that were just unimaginable on the Amiga 500. When that came out, I sold my Amiga to buy my first PC - 486 33mhz (1992)

Old 16 November 2012, 01:09   #69
rare_j
Zone Friend

Not any game, but applications.
Photoshop and 3D Studio 4 (for Dos), Premiere and Macromedia Director. There was unfortunately no software that I knew of for the 50mhz 68030 Amiga that could do this stuff like this compared to a Windows 95 P200.
Old 16 November 2012, 10:12   #70
vidarh

For me it was work - started using Linux at uni, and then at work and while I used an A3000 at work for a while, and then at home after "retiring" it from work, I eventually bought a PC in '98 to run Linux.

To me Doom was just totally uninteresting and FPS's in general are to this day, but I'd lost a lot of interest in gaming in general by then, which was only really rekindled with Sim City 3000 and Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri and Terminus, which are actually the only 3 PC games I've ever bought (the Linux ports).
Old 16 November 2012, 17:57   #71
Yesideez
(2b)||!(2b)

Galahad - amen from me as well!

Never into games much, spent most of my time seeing how many different ways I could crash DevPac until I got to grips with it.

My brother was a gamer and I remember seeing Magic Carpet on his 486 and was blown away but still didn't get myself a PC for several years later (got an AMD K6 2, 500MHz)

I, too, tried the PSX route and gave mine away. I gave my Amiga away not realising the hard drive could be read by WinUAE so I lost everything! Had to go as I just didn't have the space in a small flat and was absolutely gutted to see it go.

Recently got myself an A1200 in excellent condition from Freecycle along with two more 1200s, an expanded A600 and an A500 with a massive pile of original games.

Keeping one A1200, one A600 and finding a home for the rest. Galahad, you live near me I believe (Exeter, Devon) and these Amigas and games are looking for a free home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by quahappy View Post
Since then, my collections of emulators and games had grown a fair bit.
My collection stands at about 60-70GB
Old 16 November 2012, 19:06   #72
spiff
Oh noes!

Doom was part of it but what really got me sold were simply good games that felt like computer not console games.
Nothing wrong with consoles, just that some styles just work better on computers than in the sofa.

Tie Fighter, Systemshock and later Wing commander.
Fast tracker II, no more 4 channel limitation.
Old 22 November 2012, 21:54   #73
Hillsy_

Alone in the Dark and Wing Commander were the first games I was interested in. A friend showed me Alone the in Dark running, whilst Wing Commander I saw running in a shop window. It was only when I went to uni I started to become interested in the PC, mostly for Microsoft applications and programming. The first game I bought for the PC was Tie Fighter, which I loved. Then came Doom, which for me was 100x better than Alien Breed 3D...way way better. I commend Team17 for trying but..did you see that fireball fly across the screen through a window in Doom
Old 22 November 2012, 22:26   #74
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Nothing made me defect, because I never got rid of my Amiga.
Old 25 November 2012, 17:43   #75
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

I was quite late I suppose switching over entirely to a PC, although there was always one available to me through the years.
It was always a supplementary system as far as games were concerned as I always had a console of some description along side.

I can't really narrow it down to a game, but the big switch (when my A1200 finally got relegated to the attic for a few years) came when the first slew of 3D cards were coming out, around '95 or '96.
I remember seeing a few tech demos running on the Diamond Edge3D and then a little later I had a VHS cassette from a magazine showing various things running on an S3 Virge.

Well it pretty much blew my mind and set off my "you need to buy a decent PC" alarm, and sad to say I dropped my Amiga like a sack of shit.
Old 27 November 2012, 17:32   #76
vulture

Never abandoned my miggy, but on 2000 I bought my first PC to get proper web browsing and MAME, but most importantly to work 3D on Lightwave. Still, my miggy has always been here serving me well!
Old 27 November 2012, 23:35   #77
hattig

I didn't get a PC until 1998, I had my Amiga up until then. I got a PC simply because I needed it for university work by that time. I could use the Amiga for essays, etc, but not for programming Java..

However I had been previously wowed by Quake, Tomb Raider and Command and Conquer on other people's PCs.
Old 28 November 2012, 15:49   #78
SilentBob

I wanted a PC long before I actually bought one, but that was because I just couldn't afford one. The games that made me really want a PC, was stuff like Doom, Elite: First Encounters (didn't know it was buggy as hell though) plus a lot of later Sierra adventure games, which I loved. But I had to stick with my A1200, as shelling out for a 386/486 computer wasn't an option. I got a PC in 1997, that was an AMD K6-233 MHz with a whopping 64MB RAM (the norm at the time was 32MB) and a 3Dfx Voodoo card. And I was able to keep my beloved A1200.

Should be said we had a family PC, but it was a crappy 286, which couldn't play modern games and my parents only used it for WordPerfect typing.
Old 28 November 2012, 21:53   #79
rhester72

Embarassingly and sadly, it was Rebel Assault...I literally bought a PC (at the same store with the game) just to play it.

This was not one of my finer moments.

Rodney
Old 26 December 2012, 06:39   #80
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

then again, just using a PC now, because the Amiga is "some would say dead" and emulation is keeping it alive, i don't see a problem have two

Although, i guess at some point, you have do let go, don't you ? cos, I really like my Amiga games, but i fear of playing to much on the PC.

some may say its a 70/30 side.... which may decrease over time