English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 May 2007, 12:43   #1
Haakon

Composite pro

I need some new amiga joystick's. Has anyone tried the new comp pro's? Are they just the same as the old ones?

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...10c2fb9e7a139b
Old 22 May 2007, 13:07   #2
pmc
gone

@Haakon - I've got one of these - my one's the version that you have to connect via a Catweasel Mk.IV card. This has the advantage over the USB version in that you can use it to connect to a real Amiga too.

It's exactly like the original except for the addition of two extra alternatively placed fire buttons. There's a switch on the back that can be used to turn off the extra firebuttons.

I presume the additions are to avoid any accusations that the joystick is a straight copy of a patented design (?)

Personally I don't use these extra buttons and just leave them switched out - like this the joystick is exactly the same as the original.

The USB version looks the same but I've got no idea if this works with WinUAE in the same way, or as well as, the Catweasel version.

Edit: just realised this is my 100th post... Do I win a prize?
Old 22 May 2007, 13:28   #3
Haakon

Hmmm..Catweasel version...Not sure i quite follow you there.

The link i gave; it's plain Amiga-joystick, right? I can hook it right in my Amiga without any Catweasel card?

I'm also thinking about getting some for use with the PC. I know the early USB version was bad, but wasn't that fixed on later productions?
Old 22 May 2007, 14:29   #4
pmc
gone

@Haakon - yeah, sorry - I should've made myself clear: You can hook it straight to a real Amiga directly with nothing else required.

If you want to hook it to your PC and then control games with it via WinUAE then you'll also need a Catweasel Mk.IV card as this has a couple of Amiga style joystick ports on it and will allow the joystick to work with WinUAE.

You *might* be able to use the USB version direct with your PC and WinUAE (ie. no Catweasel required...) but I can't say this for definite or whether these are any good cos I've never used one.
Old 22 May 2007, 17:53   #5
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

The Competition Pro Retro is awesome, much better than the PC USB version. I recommend this one. It isnt't 100% the same quality, but the game feeling is comparable with the old Amiga versions from the 80s & 90s.
Old 22 May 2007, 19:02   #6
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Stiff like the competition pro but clicky like the Zipstick.

It's clicky like the zipstick (black yellow buttons) but not quite as nice - bit stiff but maybe that's because i havn't broke it in enough.The original competiton pro was fairly stiff though and it's more comparable to that except without the clicking.
Old 23 May 2007, 11:00   #7
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2
It's clicky like the zipstick (black yellow buttons) but not quite as nice - bit stiff but maybe that's because i havn't broke it in enough.The original competiton pro was fairly stiff though and it's more comparable to that except without the clicking.
I agree - Zipsticks rule! I still have two of them and they work as well as the first day I bought them.

Merlin
Old 23 May 2007, 11:14   #8
Haakon

Ordered the Amiga version today.

What about the comp pro USB version? Nobody with any experince here?
Old 23 May 2007, 11:19   #9
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon
Ordered the Amiga version today.

What about the comp pro USB version? Nobody with any experince here?
I have a USB PC version too, from the first edition in 2005. The microswitches were not the best. But maybe they are better now, read about an improved second editon somewhere.