English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 04 April 2005, 02:49   #1
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

WinUAE CD errors

I am having trouble with CDs Images. I mount Napalm , Virtual Karting or Red Mars into a virtual drive, say Daemon Tools.
I then go into the WinUae Hard Drives tab and add the virtual drive as the CD drive, with the device name being CD0, CD0: and also tried CD:0.
With these device names, I start Winuae with Bloodwych's, AIAB or my own HD, and sure enough, the CD is there, I can begin to install games, even installed Napalm. but, when i click on install for Red Mars, Virtual karting or the play game icon for Napalm , I get error asking to load such and sch CD!! What the hell is going on???
Old 04 April 2005, 08:40   #2
thomas

AmigaOS checks for volume names. If you add the CD as a harddisk in WinUAE it gets a device name of DHx (x being any number) and the name you enter becomes the volume name.

So if you install Napalm, you should enter the volume name of the Napalm CD so that AmigaOS sees a volume named like that. (The icon of the CD-ROM on the Workbench has to be labelled like the name it asks for. If it is labelled CD0 or whatever, it won't find the CD.)

However, the better way of adding a CD to WinUAE is not to use the HDD list but uaescsi.device. AIAB already contains the needed drivers.
Old 04 April 2005, 10:44   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Adding CD drive to Harddrives-panel makes it regular non-removable emulated harddrive.

uaescsi.device is the only way to emulate CDROMs 100% compatible.
Old 04 April 2005, 10:46   #4
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Hey that works, Thomas! I apreciate that
THis also solved a problem i had with Spirit of Excalibur for CDTV.
I named both volume label and device name in the WinUAE HD tab exactly as was shown listed on the virtual drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fig 2.gif
Views:	323
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	8131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fig 1.gif
Views:	307
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	8132  
Old 05 April 2005, 06:45   #5
thomas

Fine. But as Toni said, you should consider using uaescsi.device instead like this: http://home.t-online.de/home/thomas-rapp/uaescsi.html

Oh, and ticking Read/Write for a CD does not make sense, does it ?
Old 10 April 2005, 14:45   #6
Insanus

@Fred the Duck: When you've got Red Mars, have you also got the copy protection codes? I'm desperately looking for them.

Greets
Insanus
Old 11 April 2005, 14:56   #7
Dwyloc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck
I am having trouble with CDs Images. I mount Napalm , Virtual Karting or Red Mars into a virtual drive, say Daemon Tools.
I then go into the WinUae Hard Drives tab and add the virtual drive as the CD drive, with the device name being CD0, CD0: and also tried CD:0.
With these device names, I start Winuae with Bloodwych's, AIAB or my own HD, and sure enough, the CD is there, I can begin to install games, even installed Napalm. but, when i click on install for Red Mars, Virtual karting or the play game icon for Napalm , I get error asking to load such and sch CD!! What the hell is going on???
I can't even get Napalm to work from the orginal CD under WinUAE (I just get read/write errors), but my other CD games like Nightlong, onEscapee run just file off their CD's.

But if I copy the files from the CD onto my HD and assign "Napalm_CD:" to the directory on my HD with the game file on it works fine.

At first I thought my Napalm CD was faulty so I tried copying the files from my HD that work fine back to a CD-R but that gives the same error.

At the moment I think the problem maybe related to playing back the audio track’s on the CD with WinUAE, but that is just a theory at this time.