English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 March 2007, 22:41   #1
Drake008@

A1200 + RandyRom + AmigaOS3.9

Here we are again.

I got an A1200 yesterday with the Randyrom IDE Adaptor.

How do I get WB3.9 installed. A friend of mine made an Emergency Boot Disk but it won't recognize my CD-Drive. And I want to make a clean Install without installing WB 3.1 (those little disks will be blown everytime I put them in the drives cause I used them nearly 20 times the last week!)
Old 19 March 2007, 22:46   #2
Smiley
Amiga-less!

Thought this maybe useful:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBoAH
The device contains four jumpers, in a block of three and one on it's own. If you are using Kickstart 3.0 you must open all three jumpers because they effectively cut the reset line to fix a bug in the OS, however with Kickstart 3.1 this is not necessary so all jumpers should be closed. The single jumper allows you to choose whether the the first IDE channel is connected to the 2.5" IDE connector or the 3.5" IDE connector.
Anyways I always just installed a copy of 3.1 & IDEFIX then installed from there using the CD
Old 19 March 2007, 22:48   #3
Drake008@

The jumpers are all set. I got only a 3,5" HDD for the main booting.

Also I thought that IDEFIX isn't necessary with 3.9 anymore.
Old 19 March 2007, 23:08   #4
thomas

You cannot use the emergency disk of another configuration with your Amiga. The emergency disk has to contain the correct CD-ROM drivers. In your case you should try to copy the Randy ROM drivers to the emergency disk and to adjust the CD-ROM DosDriver entry accordingly.

IDEfix is not needed with OS3.9, at least not for CD-ROM access on the IDE bus. But if you want to use more than two devices, i.e. with a four-way interface, you still need IDEfix, even with OS3.9.

You need to have access to the CD-ROM drive in order to install OS3.9. So if you don't have other CD-ROM drivers at hand, IDEfix is a good solution. You can remove IDEfix once you have created the emergency disk.
Old 19 March 2007, 23:35   #5
Drake008@

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas
You cannot use the emergency disk of another configuration with your Amiga. The emergency disk has to contain the correct CD-ROM drivers. In your case you should try to copy the Randy ROM drivers to the emergency disk and to adjust the CD-ROM DosDriver entry accordingly.

IDEfix is not needed with OS3.9, at least not for CD-ROM access on the IDE bus. But if you want to use more than two devices, i.e. with a four-way interface, you still need IDEfix, even with OS3.9.

You need to have access to the CD-ROM drive in order to install OS3.9. So if you don't have other CD-ROM drivers at hand, IDEfix is a good solution. You can remove IDEfix once you have created the emergency disk.
There are no drivers for the Randyrom available. But I installed the Demo Version of IDEfix and made myself a Emergency Disc. But there it won't show me the CD Drive either.
Old 19 March 2007, 23:49   #6
Smiley
Amiga-less!

Whats the problem with installing 3.1 via floppy. Then sticking on IDEFIX to detect your cdrom with atapi.device (and mount it for you etc).

Then install OS3.9 CD from there?

If you really wanted to you could make a 30mb partition for the 3.1 install then install 3.9 onto your main partition. Then once 3.9 is installed delete said 30mb partition.
Old 20 March 2007, 17:47   #7
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake008@
There are no drivers for the Randyrom available. But I installed the Demo Version of IDEfix and made myself a Emergency Disc. But there it won't show me the CD Drive either.

I just looked up the RandROM on hardware.amigafuture.de and it appears to be a simple 4-way adapter like any other.

Now you have two options:

1. if you don't want to register IDEfix:

- make sure that both the CD-ROM driver and the HDD are on the first channel of the 4-way adapter, HDD = master, CD-ROM = slave. Without IDEfix you can only use two devices and they both have to be on the first channel. The second channel can only be used with IDEfix.

- after installation of IDEfix there should be a CD0 file in Devs/DosDrivers of your boot disk. Load it into a text editor and check the first few lines. There should be two reading

Device = atapi.device
Unit = 1

If Unit is not 1, check your cabling and install IDEfix again, it has to be 1.

- create a new emergency disk. When asked if you use a 4-way adapter or a SCSI drive, choose SCSI.

- after creation of the emergency disk load EmergencyDiskevs/DosDrivers/EMERGENCY_CD into the text editor and check the Device and Unit lines again. They should still be the same. Now change the Device entry to read

Device = scsi.device

Now reboot with the emergency disk, it should boot OS3.9 from the CD.

2. with IDEfix

- create a new emergency disk. When asked if you use a 4-way adatper or a SCSI drive, choose the 4-way adapter.

- half way through the installation it will tell you that the disk is full. Don't answer the requester and don't stop the installation, but just switch to the Workbench screen. Open a Shell window and delete all #?.device files from the Devs drawer of the emergency disk except atapi.device. Then switch back to the installer and click on Retry.

Now reboot with the emergency disk, it should boot OS3.9 from the CD.

After installation of OS3.9 you might need to copy atapi.device from the emergency disk to your boot partition manually.