English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 27 April 2021, 23:51   #41
redblade
Zone Friend

Is Boing the only sound XCopy makes or is there another sound on later versions? I only had XCopy2.0 1989 and a XCopy3.0 ?
Old 28 April 2021, 08:52   #42
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
Is Boing the only sound XCopy makes or is there another sound on later versions? I only had XCopy2.0 1989 and a XCopy3.0 ?
It also makes a low beep on error, based on the same base sample.
Old 28 April 2021, 20:59   #43
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
No IC's at all, just 2x 23 way D connectors and alot of soldering.
Hmmm, interesting!

Quote:
You can find out how to build it on one off the LSD Doc Disks which features the wiring diagram. SuperAmiCard software you will find on Insanity Tools Disk. If anyone want it uploaded to the zone then let us know.
Yes, if you could upload those two disks I (and maybe others) would be grateful .
Old 28 April 2021, 22:13   #44
Hercules
Vodka monster.

SuperAmi Card uploaded to the zone for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
Yes, if you could upload those two disks I (and maybe others) would be grateful .
I've unpowerpacked the SuperAmiCard assembly instructions, and included the SuperAmiCard software both of which is now uploaded to the zone. The software is on Insanity Tools Disk, which I have also included in the archive.

Download link:
http://eab.abime.net/zone/SuperAmiCard.lha

Your going to want an external drive, 2x23 way D connectors, and some cable. Their alot of wires to solder. Check everything with a multimeter on continuity to check everything has been soldered correctly.

Have fun :-)
Old 29 April 2021, 12:53   #45
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiral View Post
Copyright law is complex, and licenses are written with it in mind, by people who understand law.
It only gets complex when people try to abuse it - which lawyers love making money out of.

Quote:
This is just how it is, and I do not like it either, but anything else than a well-known license is considered a minefield.
It's only a 'minefield' if you make it one.

Quote:
Most people won't go anywhere near it, including myself, because it is simply not worth the risks and trouble. Given the relationship between Amiga and legal drama, I can't blame anybody for being paranoid.
Considering that X-Copy was the favorite tool of immoral Amiga fans seeking to violate copyright laws, the idea that its own code should be protected by copyright is perverse.

But that's not why I wouldn't go near it. The program is needlessly non OS-friendly and pathetically buggy, so reading the source code would probably rot my brain.
Old 29 April 2021, 13:41   #46
Thomas Richter

@Bruce: +1 for that.
Old 29 April 2021, 14:08   #47
Leo42

How about uploading the sources to something like GitHub? This would make tracking changes more easy.
Old 29 April 2021, 18:37   #48
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
I've unpowerpacked the SuperAmiCard assembly instructions, and included the SuperAmiCard software both of which is now uploaded to the zone. The software is on Insanity Tools Disk, which I have also included in the archive.

Download link:
http://eab.abime.net/zone/SuperAmiCard.lha

Your going to want an external drive, 2x23 way D connectors, and some cable. Their alot of wires to solder. Check everything with a multimeter on continuity to check everything has been soldered correctly.

Have fun :-)
Thanks for the info. Looks like there are only two wires that actually changes pins, and some pins are left open.

I'm not sure about this, but seem to remember having an external drive (DF1:) with modified cable wiring which split in two connectors; external drive and parallel port. Anyone remember something similar? Could it be early version of cyclone?
Old 01 May 2021, 02:46   #49
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrobert View Post
Thanks for the info. Looks like there are only two wires that actually changes pins, and some pins are left open.

...Could it be early version of cyclone?
Yes. It routes the internal drive's read data to the external drive's write data pin, and drive select 3 to the external drive's write enable. Then both drives are selected at the same time so data is read from the internal drive and written to the external drive at the same time.
Old 01 May 2021, 16:45   #50
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Thanks a lot!

I'm wondering: since Syncro Express III, which I have, has a similar construction and maybe (I don't have the Syncro Express III scheme at hand, though) they share most of the connection routes, could it be converted to SuperAmiCard with small modifications? (maybe a switch or two on some of the wiring routes)

In case they are similar, can Syncro Express III and SuperAmiCard use/swap their software?

EDIT
Also: what if, with these interfaces, we connect an external Gotek (with custom firmware, of course) instead of an external floppy drive?
Could it work somehow?

Last edited by Supamax; 01 May 2021 at 16:52.
Old 01 May 2021, 19:41   #51
SiDeSaLaD

This is what I think you were remembering..... Synchro Express

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210501_183546.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	672.1 KB
ID:	71774

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrobert View Post

I'm not sure about this, but seem to remember having an external drive (DF1 with modified cable wiring which split in two connectors; external drive and parallel port. Anyone remember something similar? Could it be early version of cyclone?
Old 01 May 2021, 22:00   #52
Hercules
Vodka monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiDeSaLaD View Post
This is what I think you were remembering..... Synchro Express

Attachment 71774
I don't think that is Synchro express. Syncro express was made by Datel. This interface has the RAM logo which is made by a company called RAM Electronics. RAM Electronics also made the RAM Music Machine for the ZX Spectrum.... Notice the same RAM logo ?

Old 01 May 2021, 22:19   #53
SiDeSaLaD

Hi Hercules

It's certainly the first gen Synchro express, I have used it just today along with Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210501_210941.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	480.6 KB
ID:	71775Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210501_210941.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	480.6 KB
ID:	71775my A500 and the Super Card On My A1200

Here's the software alongside my Super Card, you will find RAM made enclosures for many OEM including Amiga Samplers

IMG_20210501_210941.jpg

Quote:
I don't think that is Synchro express. Syncro express was made by Datel. This interface has the RAM logo which is made by a company called RAM Electronics. RAM Electronics also made the RAM Music Machine for the ZX Spectrum.... Notice the same RAM logo ?

Old 01 May 2021, 22:35   #54
Hercules
Vodka monster.

Well thats cleared up that mystery
Old 02 May 2021, 00:18   #55
SiDeSaLaD

Not sure what happend with the weird formatting and double image there..... Odd

I have only ever seen one other in this form, others all seem to share a common look with the Super Card, perhaps a cost saving design change going forward.

This version is happy to run Synchro I and Synchro II software, something clearly changed for version III hardware as it does not recognise the dongle as present.

Maybe there are more answers out there

SiDeSaLaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiDeSaLaD View Post
Hi Hercules

It's certainly the first gen Synchro express, I have used it just today along with Attachment 71775Attachment 71775my A500 and the Super Card On My A1200

Here's the software alongside my Super Card, you will find RAM made enclosures for many OEM including Amiga Samplers

IMG_20210501_210941.jpg
Old 02 May 2021, 11:47   #56
modrobert
old bearded fool

SiDeSaLaD,

Thanks, that could be it.

Although I soldered that DF1: modification with parallel port wire myself according to some instructions from a /X board (BBS), so might have been a copy (or variant) of that synchro express software.
Old 15 May 2021, 16:41   #57
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
No waiting for parameters!

We now have parameters!
http://amiga.resource.cx/adcoll/adco...rcardami2&pg=5
Anyone know what games it can patch/crack this way?
Old 18 May 2021, 09:52   #58
admiral
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
It only gets complex when people try to abuse it - which lawyers love making money out of.

It's only a 'minefield' if you make it one.

Considering that X-Copy was the favorite tool of immoral Amiga fans seeking to violate copyright laws, the idea that its own code should be protected by copyright is perverse.

But that's not why I wouldn't go near it. The program is needlessly non OS-friendly and pathetically buggy, so reading the source code would probably rot my brain.
The issue is that copyright protection is by default and nothing is allowed. A license is what would allow any copying or modifying.

There's also another important reason to have a license: Liability. Most open source licenses legally ensure authors are protected from being responsible for any damages caused by the use of the software.
Old 20 May 2021, 17:44   #59
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Quote:
Unfortunately, this is wet paper as far as law goes.
And just a decade later...

Quote:
Unfortunately, loose words like that do not constitute a license, whereas well-known licenses such as MIT or GPL are widely recognized as Open Source (OSI) or Free Software (FSF).

Copyright law is complex, and licenses are written with it in mind, by people who understand law.

This is just how it is, and I do not like it either, but anything else than a well-known license is considered a minefield.

Most people won't go anywhere near it, including myself, because it is simply not worth the risks and trouble. Given the relationship between Amiga and legal drama, I can't blame anybody for being paranoid.
Then why do you think we put it out in the wild? The official source wasn't available so I took it from the original box with masters and, by arrangement with the original owner (who still technically owns it), agreed on the licence above.

The main reason it was released was that people can look at it and see how it was done. It's a curiosity, I don't think anyone would need such tool these days - there are other copiers now that'll handle this more system friendly. I am absolutely confident that as long as no money changes hands and the source is also provided, no one will start a fight.

Please keep in mind everyone's got a life and checking the original agreements to find out if all code can be GPLed is a time consuming and probably also an expensive endeavour. Also this was a decade ago we lifted it from the vault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
That was a parameter copier, wasn't it? This means it cracked the games as it went.
If I remember correctly... yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Why? That's as clear as it could be. Don't sell, provide the source. It doesn't take a lawyer to express your will.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
Well. You can use a knife. Prep dinner, kill the missus. You can use a nail gun. Repair the roof, kill hubby... X-Copy on purpose wasn't a parameter copier, but yes, of course, it got abused. However, cracks can be copied with every tool, whereas originals were never widely spread with the protection intact. I don't blame anyone, but if a game got cracked and then spread... I am sure if there would not have been X-Copy, there'd have been another tool. I mean, there were, e.g. also some very good ones on the public domain. I just remember Rattle Copy by some chap from the Netherlands. Guess that was free, and I forgot which tools I used under Workbench, years later. Whatever.

So I don't get the anger, but maybe I am just too rational.
Old 21 May 2021, 03:45   #60
admiral
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.vince View Post
by arrangement with the original owner (who still technically owns it), agreed on the licence above.
Please keep in mind everyone's got a life and checking the original agreements to find out if all code can be GPLed is a time consuming and probably also an expensive endeavour. Also this was a decade ago we lifted it from the vault.
An open source license like MIT would bring new life to the code, allowing new devs to legally work on it and distribute the results.
But I do agree it'd be a pain to poke the original owner again (that's all that's needed, when there's a clear owner), and the highest priority was getting the source out so that it can be preserved (rather than lost in history).

Last edited by admiral; 21 May 2021 at 03:47. Reason: bbcode