English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 14 July 2020, 05:17   #1
Pheonix

Installer Case Sensitivity.

I've been digging through the manual, and cannot seem to find anything. Is there a way to make Installer "case insensitive?" As it stands now, as I've gotten the drive to correctly use the capitalization of file names, I'm starting to get "file not found" errors with installer. If I edit the installer script to match the case of the file, or alter the file to match the case in the installer script, it works just fine. I can keep going this route, but with the sheer number of files involved, it seems like a difficult proposition (well, time consuming any way.)

Thank you
Old 14 July 2020, 10:05   #2
Daedalus

Installer itself isn't case sensitive - or at least, not that I'm aware of. Have you got a sample filename and a sample of the Installer command used to copy the file? Both copyfiles and copylib are case insensitive anyway.
Old 14 July 2020, 10:36   #3
Pheonix

Below is a series of pictures (screen caps.) OK, pics aren't showing up

URL for pic: https://photos.app.goo.gl/tbjtmKhqnCvT49kf7
As you can see, it could find "BlitzCD:Blitz2/acidlibs"

URL for pic: https://photos.app.goo.gl/2LdiKX5Y7KYMe4tm7
There's the file, but it's capitalized.

URL for pic: https://photos.app.goo.gl/syMsBFchPq5Ycfrh9
Changed the name to match the one in the error message. All I did was change the capital 'A' into lower case 'a'.

URL for pic: https://photos.app.goo.gl/iDkrV9VjXkQRyswy9
Now it gets past the first error, only to not find another file. No more screen caps for now, though. Again, it was a file that was capitalized on the disk, but the install script has all lower case.

Last edited by Pheonix; 14 July 2020 at 10:38. Reason: Missing pics
Old 14 July 2020, 11:04   #4
Daedalus

Hmmm, that's really odd. What version of Installer is it using? 43.3 (the latest release for 3.1), isn't case sensitive, but I guess there might be some sort of OS 2.x weirdness going on there. Still, OS2 didn't ship with Installer at all, and if Blitz included Installer on the CD (as was often the case back then), it would be suitable for the names given.

A couple of asides though: First, the installer script on the original Blitz CD is buggy, and a fixed version was released on Aminet which should be used instead (if you're not already). This wasn't the issue caused by the buggy script IIRC, but still worth bearing in mind.

Second (and this is the main thing I would look at), in all of the various Blitz versions I'm familiar with, neither acidlibs nor defaultdbug are capitalised. This makes me think that whatever way the CD filesystem is dealing with names is automatically capitalising the first letter when it shouldn't. Despite Amiga OS in general not being case sensitive, that's ultimately up to the filesystem to decide, and if the filesystem is trying to accommodate foreign filename conventions (e.g. Linux, where Acidlibs and acidlibs are two different files), it might be enforcing case sensitivity, while also modifying filenames on the fly. It could also be that the filesystem is deciding to be case sensitive because it has detected a funky CD format that's using a non-Amiga extension for the filenames.

I would try the latest installer for a start anyway. There's also a revised version of the Blitz CD floating around that fixes a lot of stuff and might be worth trying too.
Old 14 July 2020, 11:47   #5
Pheonix

Currently using v43.3 from AmiNET. I'll try other versions. The CD actually has 3 versions on it. Well, 3 that are all different sizes at least.

Going to go ahead and go looking for the CD again. If push comes to shove, I'll just install it from the floppies. The CD is becoming a pain in the rear to deal with. First make an ISO, then inject the fixed install script. Then go through dozens of files fixing the installer to name them correctly
Old 14 July 2020, 12:26   #6
Daedalus

Well, as I said, it sounds like there's something else going on there that's causing the problem. You shouldn't ever need to be renaming files or modifying scripts like that. But try downloading the fixed install script and running that first - it doesn't need to be injected into the ISO to work.
Old 14 July 2020, 16:47   #7
Exodous

Are you running it on an emulator under a *nix variant and using a folder as your filesystem, rather than a hard disk file?

That would possibly account for it being sensitive to case as the underlying OS is case sensitive?
Old 14 July 2020, 19:59   #8
Pheonix

Running it in WinUAE (Windows) but mounting altered ISO through WinUAE (not Windows.) Like to do testing on an emulator to avoid burning disk after disk before I get it right. Also saves me from having to reinstall my HDD in case it gets hosed by a failed install. Easier to backup a hardfile than a physical HDD

Currently doing an install from the floppies (its manual, so I can do that on my physical drive without risk.) Taking a bit of time, though The A2000 is mostly stock. Have a 2M Agnus update, CPU RAM (Fast RAM directly accessed by CPU (sandwich board between the 68010 CPU and the MB,) Picasso II (may be II+,) A2091 SCSI card, and an Ariadne II NIC. Would like to get an accelerator card of some sort, but the cost has made that fairly prohibitive so far
Old 14 July 2020, 22:19   #9
Pheonix

Just finished with manual install, but while waiting, tried installing with the fixed install script & unaltered ISO of the CD. Installed just fine until it started installing the support suite. On my physical & emulated system get a #80000003 error from "concat." Did some tracking, and it seems that "concat" requires 32-bit addressing instead of the 24-bit that my A2000 (and it's 68010 CPU,) has. All I could find regarding compatibility is that the support suite will work on any 1M system but 2M or more is advised.

So, next, anyone know of a replacement for "concat" that doesn't require a 68020 or higher CPU?