English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 13 May 2022, 16:22   #1
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Sim City - End Game?

What do you consider end game for Sim City?

As in game there is no way to beat the game, what do you consider as successful ending? Making lot of $$, great planing, expanding city and population... what do you consider as beating the game??
Old 13 May 2022, 17:12   #2
RichL

End game for me was just destroying it all with fires and earthquakes.
Old 13 May 2022, 17:26   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

For me it was all about getting annoyed by micromanaging all the problems. Which usually took about an hour or less
Old 13 May 2022, 17:38   #4
RichL

Good point yeah I think at one point you could end up with several police stations, hospitals, fire departments all in a small radius and they would still moan about crime or fires.

So I would bring fire down upon them usually.
Old 13 May 2022, 17:39   #5
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

When you build a massive city and see it destroyed by disasters.

It's the circle of life!
Old 13 May 2022, 22:16   #6
brett71

I always enjoyed building out my city as much as possible, but then getting to a point where I would unleash a disaster of some sort, let the disaster run its course, and then run around and reroute power or traffic to get the city back running, but not necessarily rebuilding on areas that were destroyed.
Old 18 May 2022, 14:47   #7
Nishicorn

That game does not have an endgame. There's no goal per se.

I would say having fun creating your city IS the 'endgame', if you must have one.

What you are asking is the same as 'what is the endgame of toddlers playing in a sandbox'. They don't have an 'endgame', they just enjoy creating a world in their imaginations and whatever they decide to do with it, is just part of it all. If they want to destroy it, that's part of it. If they want to preserve it, that's also fine.

As kids, we once built an elaborate (well, sort of) city out of snow one evening. We imagined all kinds of people living in all kinds of places, doing different things and such. It was just fun creating an imaginary city with functionality and inhabitants, there was no 'endgame'.

Not everything needs an 'endgame', you know.

I can only imagine what kind of overachiever mindset people that ask questions like this have, they're never satisfied with just doing, they also have to have some kind of 'result'. Not everything in life should be about ACHIEVING. Sometimes you just want to relax and just.. exist.

Sometimes you just want to have fun for awhile, and that's enough. Stop stressing about 'endgames' and schedules, just let things be and just have fun and accept that's all you are going to get and just enjoy the moment. Life is not a computer program, you don't get to design it fully, it's just something you experience, and then it's over. There doesn't need to be any 'endgame'.

Let it go.
Old 18 May 2022, 15:57   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishicorn View Post
I can only imagine what kind of overachiever mindset people that ask questions like this have, they're never satisfied with just doing, they also have to have some kind of 'result'.
Let me assure you that of the many issues Anubis might have this is certainly not one of them
Old 18 May 2022, 20:09   #9
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Let me assure you that of the many issues Anubis might have this is certainly not one of them

Old 18 May 2022, 20:10   #10
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Man I hope that's satire.
Old 19 May 2022, 19:47   #11
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Back to topic, after reading manual and couple FAQs, it seems that achieving a megalopolis city size (over 500,000 populaiton) classified as ultimate goal.

Quote:
Megalopolis

The ultimate goal of every Simcity nut is to achieve this level of Cityhood. Once your place hits one half million (or 500,000), you have arrived. This is the ultimate classification, so feel VERY proud once you reach it has it is a hard feat to accomplish!
I can't remember every creating city of that size, or in better words. functional self sufficient city that survived for more then a year without 20% of taxation.

I think I will give this classic another go, let's see if they got hit with disaster before getting to megalopolis size.

Last edited by Anubis; 20 May 2022 at 13:31.
Old 20 May 2022, 07:53   #12
RichL

Yeah, I never got it to 500,000.