English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 14 August 2022, 04:09   #21
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
"Hacking is easy, don't copy the hacking you see in Neighbours as it is 100% realistic and will lead to the fall of world governments!"
For the longest time the only thing that was even remotely plausible was Wargames, and it still relied on some magic tech (a lot of it hinges on an AI interface).

Until Mr. Robot. Almost all the tech in it is grounded in reality, albeit with a lot of the tedium removed for pacing purposes, and they're able to crank out some tools and write and test exploits unreasonably fast. Still, it blew me away when almost everything you see on screen makes sense.
Old 16 August 2022, 14:09   #22
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Neighbours tackles arcade game addiction starring Kristan Schmid and Ghosts 'n' Goblins...

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 18 August 2022, 16:34   #23
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I mean relatable, if I had an arcade near my house in those days I would go there just to watch every day. And begging my parents for coins every chance I would get. It was probably in my best interest I only actually saw an arcade a handful of times in my youth and they were already dead and buried by the time I became a student.

(So instead I got addicted to Magic the Gathering, an equally big money sink...)
Old 19 August 2022, 10:57   #24
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Yep, I think it's far safer if you have some device or other at home that you own outright so don't have to keep feeding with coins to maintain the addiction. You may still have to deal with forgetting to eat, wash and work, but it's easier to manage your finances.

I was 'lucky' I suppose in that I lived miles from the seaside and also had frugality drummed into me from an early age. I watched arcade cabinets being played in awe while on holiday, yet fed very few coins into them personally. I expected to perish in the blink of an eye, walking away with nothing to show for it so didn't bother testing the theory.

I don't recall feeling particularly deprived strangely. I was too preoccupied with wondering if coin-op game x had been (or would be in the future) ported to the Spectrum and later Amiga. That was the holy grail.
Old 19 August 2022, 14:10   #25
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Well my parents could take care of all that, but yes I developed a pretty big computer addiction thanks to my Miggy

Huh. At least with the arcade I'd get out of the house. Didn't think about it from that perspective.