English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General > Coders. Tutorials

Old 20 December 2021, 22:04   #1
GaryBrighton

C: Example code for Bartman's VSC Debugger

Evening everyone

Probably not a good move for my first post here to be a begging one but hopefully you will all forgive me.

Just found the one stop VSC extension by Bartman and been trying to play around with the example code but struggling with even the most basic things, like getting a PNG in the right colour format to show correctly on the real machine, or a simple way of getting the complied exe onto a real machine (currently using a share folder on WinUAE, a blank adf file to copy it onto and a gotek on the real amiga)

Is there any sort of idiots guide to get someone who knows how to code in C (background is embedded systems on fruit machines) but has never gone past doing a bit of blitz basic on the Amiga before but wants to learn how to get into real programming (without the headache of assembler )

Thanks in advance for any help/source code/guides you can point me to. Would love to see some of the source for the tiny range of games but totally understand them not being available
Old 20 December 2021, 22:24   #2
kamelito
Zone Friend

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 21 December 2021, 08:01   #3
deimos
It's coming back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBrighton View Post
Evening everyone

a simple way of getting the complied exe onto a real machine (currently using a share folder on WinUAE, a blank adf file to copy it onto and a gotek on the real amiga)
I’m looking for this too. Currently I’m using FloppyBridge to write a real floppy from WinUAE, but I’ve also ordered an SD card version of the Gotek in the hope that I can use a wifi enabled SD card to copy ADF files to and make that part of my build process.
Old 21 December 2021, 08:33   #4
Pyromania

Happy coding!
Old 21 December 2021, 10:14   #5
pink^abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBrighton View Post
Evening everyone

Just found the one stop VSC extension by Bartman and been trying to play around with the example code but struggling with even the most basic things, like getting a PNG in the right colour format to show correctly on the real machine.

Thanks in advance for any help/source code/guides you can point me to. Would love to see some of the source for the tiny range of games but totally understand them not being available
Not sure if this is the answer you are looking for, but if you peek into the "gfx" folder from Bartmans template, you find a batch file called "convert.cmd" that converts a given png file to raw amiga bitplanes and a raw palette. The color format must match between the number of bitplanes you convert the image for and the number of bitplanes you setup in the copperlist. The terms 'bitplanes' and 'copperlist' are explained in the above YouTube tutorials.

The 'tiny' games sources are not available, and they would not be a good starting point i'm afraid. I think a simple enough yet quite useful resource is the Menace source code. You can find it here:
http://amiga.filfre.net/misc/Chapter8/Menace.zip