English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 29 April 2022, 08:06   #21
acidbottle

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 29 April 2022, 09:34   #22
jotd
This cat is no more

that was quick. The most difficult part is to get the maps / enemy positions. Where did you find this?
Old 29 April 2022, 09:52   #23
acidbottle

Cobbled it together in about 2 or 3 hours last night, there are problems with Scorpion though that would need some hacky work to get around. The map width is restricted (height is more generous) so would have to chop a level in half (or a third) and teleport to the new map area - would notice a frame or 2 skipping by doing this.

Ropes, no idea, literally none! Enemy spawns, not sure either, think they endlessly spawn so might not be too difficult.

The main character is 16 colours, I didnt spend too much time and the backdrop so ended up in about 24 colour or something. Could be too slow in OCS in Scorpion, but perhaps doable. AGA is perfect though. Didnt have any more assets to play with, ripped the green lizard from MAME and took up most of the time! AGA sprite parallax works but caveat is that max size is 256 wide so statues would have to be on another layer to the mountains.

Hope it inspires someone though to have a proper bash at it, is a great game.
Old 29 April 2022, 11:27   #24
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbottle View Post
ripped the green lizard from MAME and took up most of the time!
How did you do it? Video recording?
Old 29 April 2022, 11:57   #25
kremiso

great to read all these different ideas directly from coders/developers

the audio side is another not easy choice imo
the arcade has deep and powerful sfx's, and a cool soundtrack too

how many channels for sfx on Amiga? one or two?

wondering ie if the cool @saimo audio routines, used in games like Skillgrid, could help in a game like this
where the audio has almost half of the part imo
Old 29 April 2022, 12:48   #26
acidbottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
How did you do it? Video recording?
Yes kinda. Running the game through mame, on its original screen resolution, then use a small program called screenget. This records a chunk of gameplay and saves a snapshot of each frame.

From there used Pro Motion to cut the sprite out of the background and remap a few colours.
Old 29 April 2022, 13:07   #27
Havie

Impressive for a few hours - I'd barely of got anything on the screen by that point let alone a whole map and even some baddies!
Old 29 April 2022, 14:16   #28
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Yes kinda. Running the game through mame, on its original screen resolution, then use a small program called screenget. This records a chunk of gameplay and saves a snapshot of each frame.

From there used Pro Motion to cut the sprite out of the background and remap a few colours.
I guess i need to work out my magic on this game.
Old 29 April 2022, 14:30   #29
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:

Nice, both screenget and pro motion look very interesting. I've been using some other tool which can record the desktop (don't remember the name right now) and paint.net to cut out and polish sprites. It works but I've always felt it can be done easier
Old 17 May 2022, 13:33   #30
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiac View Post
Back in the day I recall much disappointment that an arcade port of Rastan was never completed and released for the Amiga. With all the recent ports and conversions, an arcade port of Rastan would be wonderful to see. Anyone contemplating it?
Shadow of the Beast 1 is a pretty unashamed Rastan Saga knock-off (which is why so many clueless reviewers gave it a bad score like that dick at Amiga Format who gave Deluxe Scrabble priced at £27.99 a whopping 25% more!).

Perhaps somebody could hack the SotB1 game engine as a basis for a kick-ass 512k port?
Old 17 May 2022, 13:50   #31
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Nice, both screenget and pro motion look very interesting. I've been using some other tool which can record the desktop (don't remember the name right now) and paint.net to cut out and polish sprites. It works but I've always felt it can be done easier
I have a really old version of MAME which allows me to capture video of gameplay from within the emulator (uncompressed AVI video?) so I usually just do that with cheats on and then grab screenshots of frames I am interested in using VLC. This was the best way to get sample screens of Alien Syndrome as the colours are so weird on that you need the actual source graphics with zero compression to even attempt at scaling them down to Amiga colour depths supported.

If I ever get the chance to learn Scorpion I would use it to try and do something like 1000 Lakes/Mille Miglia isometric 8-way scrolling racing game as there are no sprite/background rips last time I looked.

It's never been easier to do arcade ports from a graphics point of view with digital video and emulators for almost anything. There's even a plug and play TV game of Scooby Doo that's emulated which I used HD litecam screen cap software to make a video of the isometric driving level because it would make a brilliant Amiga OCS game.

(MAMEUI32 0.154 july 24 2014 it says. File--->Play and record Uncompressed AVI video)
Old 17 May 2022, 17:18   #32
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

If that can only be activated upon starting a game it won't work for capturing animation frames unfortunately as you'd maybe need to record hours of playtime
Old 18 May 2022, 00:50   #33
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
If that can only be activated upon starting a game it won't work for capturing animation frames unfortunately as you'd maybe need to record hours of playtime
Yes you have to select that function from the game selection screen and then it runs the game from the start so if you need level 3 of Viewpoint etc it's no good for that.

It's not a problem for me as I generally like to grab a 'longplay' of a game and keep a record of the graphics/music/sfx.
Old 17 May 2023, 00:18   #34
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Wow, this Amiga adapted graphics looks fantastic. Looks like another Scorpion engine winner.

https://www.indieretronews.com/2023/...a-and-its.html
Old 17 May 2023, 11:05   #35
acidbottle

This indeed is one to look out for! Outstanding pixel work by Basement Ape and glad this has now gone public
Old 17 May 2023, 11:07   #36
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
This indeed is one to look out for! Outstanding pixel work by Basement Ape and glad this has now gone public
Do you need also the sprites for Rastan ?
Old 17 May 2023, 11:13   #37
acidbottle

Hehe no thank you, this is a project made by someone else. I did a small prototype a while back and really happy BasementApe chose Rastan and worked his magic. It really does look great and will rightly get some nice hype!
Old 17 May 2023, 11:25   #38
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Looks promising All the best to BasementApe for tackling this one
Old 17 May 2023, 11:27   #39
jotd
This cat is no more

This really looks great! I hope it will see the light of day. Projects like this are a marathon, not a sprint.
Old 17 May 2023, 12:26   #40
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Great, the graphics looks very good !