English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 18 June 2022, 03:01   #81
christoff522

Probably playing Simon the Sorcerer on CD32. I'd never really heard real human voices coming from my computer and this was pre-playstation for me so it was pretty amazing. I also loved the artwork and the music. I also remember playing Mortal Kombat in my room on my A600 - and like all kids using an Amiga 'Say'.

Later on in life, using AmigaOS (a 68k OS) on WinUAE - I'm absolutely amazed at the things it can still do!! I use it to code HTML and surf the web with IBrowse. It may not be real hardware but it's emulated hardware - the technology was ahead of it's time.
Old 27 June 2022, 01:29   #82
wanderer
I want an A1000

"Say" - and many, many others.
Old 11 July 2022, 11:17   #83
lyzanxia

For me it was the knight hawks cracktro..with all those nice copper effect colors..
Old 11 July 2022, 18:10   #84
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
"Say" - and many, many others.
That was indeed pretty mindblowing. But I was too young to be allowed to say shit.
Old 15 September 2022, 15:55   #85
TommyTomorrow

Definitely the music from the Lotus II intro on my stereo speakers connected through radio amplifier (first when I heard the loud sound to Magnetic Fields logo then Lotus theme). It was my first game on my A500 in 1992
Old 15 September 2022, 16:12   #86
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTomorrow View Post
(first when I heard the loud sound to Magnetic Fields logo then Lotus theme).
Ear blowing is not the same as mind blowing

Bastards. I need someone from the dev team to confirm that they made that sound sample really unbalanced in volume on purpose.
Old 15 September 2022, 16:39   #87
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

I've never been able to fathom why so many media creators (amateur and professional of all kinds) either don't understand the audio limiting/compression/normalisation process or don't think it matters.

I have to make my own arrangements to regulate audio output on the fly to save my eardrums/sanity.
Old 21 September 2022, 17:48   #88
Crumpster

I remember the intro and seeing the 3D tunnel parts of Interphase blowing my mind, filled polygons! That was from an Amiga Format cover disk my friend had.

[ Show youtube player ]

But the main one I remember from my early Amiga days was the Intro to Another World. The sounds, graphics and atmosphere is created and it just thrust you straight into the game from the intro, simply brilliant.

[ Show youtube player ]

Another would be Damocles, a whole solar system to explore!

Cheers,
Crumpster
Old 22 September 2022, 11:55   #89
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I remember that, I had an Amiga Format with a coverdisk that had a fix for said Interphase game on it The first patch I ever saw. I just didn't have the game itself :/

Yeah, Amiga Format 20. http://amr.abime.net/coverdisk_index_4
Old 30 September 2022, 09:43   #90
TommyTomorrow

Another whoa moment in my Amiga history... One time when I was a teenager, I was playing Civilization, I had headphones on, when suddenly my mother came into my room and touched my arm, I jumped up in the chair and she asked "what are you doing? It's the weekend and you are awake?" (I usually slept longer on weekends). It was 6AM, I didn't tell her I didn't sleep at all that night This was the first time when I discovered "one more turn" syndrome
Old 01 October 2022, 00:58   #91
Photon

The first night at a friend who just got his A500, the ease with which we could run software. Games of course (I remember Barbarian/Psygnosis), and I discovered there were teenagers just like us forming groups and being creative!

I had been a member of newsletter clubs and similar before, and also swapped disks with friends, but this was something new. A big movement where things happened fast as opposed to "monthly", and there was this sort of secret system with special words, activities, and achievements.
Old 01 October 2022, 04:51   #92
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Ear blowing is not the same as mind blowing

Bastards. I need someone from the dev team to confirm that they made that sound sample really unbalanced in volume on purpose.
I still remember thinking "better quickly turn down the volume before that horrible sound starts".

It's definitely the lowest quality piece of audio I've ever heard. In fact it could probably blow your speakers if you had them turned up really loud.
Old 02 October 2022, 21:08   #93
lmimmfn

I probably said it elsewhere on the forum but I bought Lotus 1 on a secondary school school trip to Belfast. I got back home at 11PM and supposed to go to bed, pretended I did and when the folks went to bed I fired up Lotus 1, Magnetic Fields logo then boom, ffs lol

Reminds me of TV channels in the 80s/90s where the ad volume was twice that of the shows and you're constantly increasing/decreasing the volume with the human remote control aka kid.
Old 02 October 2022, 21:32   #94
BippyM
Global Moderator

Probably seeing Populous and Robocop in 1989. Previously I had an Acorn Electron
Old 03 October 2022, 13:07   #95
Parsec

Back in the day it had to be when one guy got an Amiga at our local computer club. We all left our C64's to stand round and watch as he loaded up Defender of the Crown, and turned up the speakers. Nobody spoke, it was just mesmerising. Slowly, we all got Amigas after that.

Even today the Amiga still amazes me. Didn't realise until recently that it could change resolution on a scanline (if you pulled a hires screen down to reveal another behind it) still blows my mind! I always wondered how it managed that trick.
Old 03 October 2022, 20:50   #96
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

For me, has to be Vision Megademo IV. I sat up one night in my poxy little bedsit in Derby, with the audio routed through my boombox and headphones and read every bloody scrolling message across the whole demo. I was sat there for bloody ages!

I still fire up Megademo IV every now and again, just for a bit of nostalgia
Old 04 October 2022, 10:55   #97
Silverstreak

I actually had one yesterday! I was digitising with digiview last night on a 1200, exporting them as RGB. Firstly the Vampire... wow, I had not realised the difference in processing speed with the adapter. What a joy. But it was the first time I'd loaded them into DPaintIV in AGA...Wow, I nearly fell off my seat!

Amazing to see a an ancient digitiser capturing near 24-bit images in hires/lace.
Old 04 October 2022, 14:30   #98
Vapor

So many. I can’t remember what order they came in but:
R-type
Red Sector Cebit demo (and music)
Share & Enjoy Demos
Bloody Money
Shadow of the Beast
Another World
Battle Squadron
Kick Off
Old 17 October 2022, 23:25   #99
Spongehorn

Went around to a friends house. He loaded up Battle Chess. That was astonishing. Then he loaded up... Winter Games I think? Anyone it had a looping sound sample of Laura Brannigan's "Self Control" and that was amazing.

Bought an Amiga the following week.