English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 26 September 2017, 12:45   #501
cbrunschen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fook42 View Post
please find a new diagram "how to connect a rotary-encoder-module like KY040 to the GOTEK" attached to this post.
With a rotary encoder attached like this, there's no interference with the buttons - and there seems to be enough space on the front panel to mount an encoder in the unused space between the buttons and the edge of the panel. So with an encoder that has an integrated 'third' button, it might be possible to use the encoder for scrolling & selecting, leaving the two existing buttons for ... something else?
Old 26 September 2017, 12:55   #502
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrunschen View Post
With a rotary encoder attached like this, there's no interference with the buttons - and there seems to be enough space on the front panel to mount an encoder in the unused space between the buttons and the edge of the panel. So with an encoder that has an integrated 'third' button, it might be possible to use the encoder for scrolling & selecting, leaving the two existing buttons for ... something else?
Yes, certainly.
Old 26 September 2017, 14:45   #503
antiriad76

Quote:
And I've pre-ordered the just-announced Original Prusa i3 Mk3 3D printer - they have an excellent reputation and are frequently listed as the best desktop 3D printer.

Best wishes,

// Christian
Thanks for the update. Also a 3D Printer is on my "Christmas" list. I am looking something that has a resolution 20 microns or less. Most of the 3D Printouts I have seen look rather crude and you can easily make up the layers.

What is the resolution of the Prusa i3?
Old 26 September 2017, 15:18   #504
Amiga1992

Quote:
So with an encoder that has an integrated 'third' button, it might be possible to use the encoder for scrolling & selecting, leaving the two existing buttons for ... something else?
Launch the nuclear attack!
Old 26 September 2017, 15:36   #505
cbrunschen

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiriad76 View Post
Thanks for the update. Also a 3D Printer is on my "Christmas" list. I am looking something that has a resolution 20 microns or less. Most of the 3D Printouts I have seen look rather crude and you can easily make up the layers.

What is the resolution of the Prusa i3?
The easiest way to find out all the specs of the Prusa i3 Mk3 is to follow the link I posted!

If you want to have a Z resolution (layer height) of 0.02 mm, then you'll probably have to spend a bit more money and of course a lot more time on each print (the thinner the layers, the more of them, and the longer the time to print) if you're using a fused-filament-deposition printer – so you might want to look at a resin (DLP or SLA) printer instead.

Or you could smooth the print (see for example this web page or search for 'smooth 3d print' or similar), use a bit of sandpaper on the printed surface, or add a thin layer of paint or similar to hide anything you're not happy with having exposed.

That said, the Prusa i3 Mk2 seemed to have a minimum layer height of 0.04 mm with a suitably small nozzle; the Prusa i3 Mk3 has upgraded stepper motor drivers with 256 microstepping, which may improve the Z axis resolution so it might well be possible to go down to 0.02mm layer height if you feel you need to –though your best bet would be to ask Josef Průša himself.

// Christian

Last edited by cbrunschen; 26 September 2017 at 18:29.
Old 26 September 2017, 20:45   #506
Fook42

Quote:
... it might be possible to use the encoder for scrolling & selecting, leaving the two existing buttons for ... something else?
you're right.. once you've used the rotary encoder you won't want to live without anymore .. but to reuse the two buttons for something else means that people without the encoder will be facing problems in using the software...
i think one of the ideas beside the additions (like OLED, Rotary-Encoder, Sound...) was to provide a firmware that can be used even if you dont have all the fancy stuff ... if you stick to the classic-gotek for example.
Old 26 September 2017, 21:58   #507
Keir

Pimped my test Gotek. The rotary encoder fits easily and the display cutout was quite simple to widen with a needle file: the lightest touch with fine sandpaper to finish would have made it almost perfect.

Old 27 September 2017, 01:18   #508
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
you're right.. once you've used the rotary encoder you won't want to live without anymore .. but to reuse the two buttons for something else means that people without the encoder will be facing problems in using the software...
i think one of the ideas beside the additions (like OLED, Rotary-Encoder, Sound...) was to provide a firmware that can be used even if you dont have all the fancy stuff ... if you stick to the classic-gotek for example.

I'm not planning on the rotary dialer at the moment. - I guess I have to roll back to an older version of the firmware? My Amiga is in parts right now so can't test for a bit.
Old 27 September 2017, 01:31   #509
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
I'm not planning on the rotary dialer at the moment. - I guess I have to roll back to an older version of the firmware? My Amiga is in parts right now so can't test for a bit.
No the optional extras remain optional, the firmware will always work out of the box with a vanilla Gotek. If buttons get retasked on Goteks with a rotary encoder, it will be via an explicit configuration option.
Old 27 September 2017, 03:07   #510
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffer View Post
You can't, not without rebuilding the firmware. Well, only via the Autoboot selector software, allowing configuration of timeout in HXCSDFE.CFG where you can set the timeout to "255" in Settings. That means "never turn off the backlight".
Wouldn't it be possible to "re-wake" the display only when a disk access occurs?
It doesn't look to me like a negative issue the display being off when the floppy emulator is not in use...
My post went totally ignored, sob .
Was it stupid?

I was suggesting to leave the display standby active, waking it when any disk access (to the Gotek) occurs.

(I own a Creative mp3 recorder/player with OLED display, and after some years it died/faded - the display, not the player. OLED screens have a limited lifespan, so the idea of leaving the Gotek's display off when not in use isn't bad IMO)

Last edited by Supamax; 27 September 2017 at 03:12.
Old 27 September 2017, 05:16   #511
gizmomelb

Quote:
please find a new diagram "how to connect a rotary-encoder-module like KY040 to the GOTEK" attached to this post.
awesome clear diagram, thank you.

but because I'm slow - does the push button switch on the rotary encoder act like a third button to select/eject the disk image displayed on the LCD/OLED?

thank you.
Old 27 September 2017, 07:20   #512
Fook42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmomelb View Post
but because I'm slow - does the push button switch on the rotary encoder act like a third button to select/eject the disk image displayed on the LCD/OLED?
correct! .. the rotary encoder acts like the normal two buttons (up and down) and if your encoder has the optional pushbutton (like on the KY040 Module) and you connect it as shown, then this one triggers the 3.button funtions (like select/eject/..whatever Keir will implement .. )
Old 27 September 2017, 07:25   #513
Fook42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
My post went totally ignored, sob .
Was it stupid?

I was suggesting to leave the display standby active, waking it when any disk access (to the Gotek) occurs.

(I own a Creative mp3 recorder/player with OLED display, and after some years it died/faded - the display, not the player. OLED screens have a limited lifespan, so the idea of leaving the Gotek's display off when not in use isn't bad IMO)
AFAIK turning off the OLED means to write an empty pixelbuffer to it or to disconnect the power wires. Please correct me if i'm wrong on this...
currently the display-turn off is only available for the LCD- Displays.
Old 27 September 2017, 08:58   #514
Keir

Quote:
AFAIK turning off the OLED means to write an empty pixelbuffer to it or to disconnect the power wires. Please correct me if i'm wrong on this...
currently the display-turn off is only available for the LCD- Displays.
There is a proper display-off command.

I didn't implement shutdown on the OLED display because it's quite unobtrusive. But if there's demand for it (eg concern on lifespan) it's easy enough to treat the same way as LCD backlight.
Old 27 September 2017, 09:53   #515
demolition
Unregistered User

Putting all empty pixels on the OLED display should have pretty much the same effect as turning it off completely, at least in regards to lifespan.
Old 27 September 2017, 12:21   #516
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Putting all empty pixels on the OLED display should have pretty much the same effect as turning it off completely, at least in regards to lifespan.
Kingstener also wanted this feature and kicked me into action so I've made OLED display on/off track the LCD backlight behaviour. That will be rolled into the next release, which should happen when I've sorted subfolder navigation in config-less mode... ugh.
Old 27 September 2017, 13:41   #517
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
No the optional extras remain optional, the firmware will always work out of the box with a vanilla Gotek. If buttons get retasked on Goteks with a rotary encoder, it will be via an explicit configuration option.
Excellent! Thanks for clarifying. I'm finally understanding what the rotary is all about via the comments. I may end up going that route anyway. Especially the one with the pushbutton built in. Just not ready for that yet.
Old 27 September 2017, 16:25   #518
Keir

Quote:
I had some comments on this new diagram, please see the Github issue tracker for more details.
Old 27 September 2017, 18:13   #519
solidcore

Running flashfloppy on the atari falcon 030 today after I succesfully flashed two 15 quid goteks over serial thanks to superdupa's quick thinking regarding the jumpers and rx to tx etc.

Is there a boot menu for the falcon, like the hxc boot screens? And any idea why Alien thing seems to boot on the falcon via TOS rather than from cold start which hangs.

I've yet to stick one in the a1200 but will do after i replace its keyboard membrane, fun stuff :P

Chris
Old 27 September 2017, 21:06   #520
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
I didn't implement shutdown on the OLED display because it's quite unobtrusive. But if there's demand for it (eg concern on lifespan) it's easy enough to treat the same way as LCD backlight.
It would be nice .

Quote:
Kingstener also wanted this feature and kicked me into action so I've made OLED display on/off track the LCD backlight behaviour. That will be rolled into the next release, which should happen when I've sorted subfolder navigation in config-less mode... ugh.
Great!
When the OLED is off, will a disk access "wake"/turn it on automatically?

Also, which is the amount of time after which the OLED goes off?