English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Modules

Old 28 September 2019, 11:13   #1
nous

Unhappy Been searching for a MOD since 1993...

So, there was a nice little disk copier utility on one of my compilation disks - not one of the top names like X-Copy and such.

That utility had a music on/off button, which when pressed played the sweetest tune I'd ever heard. It was a 4-5 pattern mod, the samples were synth strings. I had recorded it along with the best tunes of my collection on two 90-minute cassettes, which my wife threw away...

Unfortunately, I can't remember the copier's name, but I had extracted the mod from the utility using a hex editor or disassembler. The name on the header was "baby.mod".

Please, help.
Old 28 September 2019, 11:22   #2
chip

This one ?

http://janeway.exotica.org.uk/release.php?id=35862
Old 06 October 2019, 16:02   #3
8bitbubsy

I doubt it's any of these, but at least they are short, have "baby" in the name and contain string (ish) samples:

1) http://ftp.modland.com/pub/modules/P...ice%20baby.mod

2) http://ftp.modland.com/pub/modules/P...fly%20baby.mod
Old 15 October 2019, 19:19   #4
nous

Nope...

Thanks for your replies, unfortunately I've searched myself in every module repository under the sun to no avail. I might download the recently uncovered BS1 disk collection and try my luck there.
Old 15 October 2019, 21:48   #5
Mark Wright

[ Show youtube player ]

If you're convinced it was a copier then this won't help but Imploder (the compression utility) famously played several Paul Van Der Valk tunes as it did its thing depending on the iteration. It's when you said sweet and synth I thought of the above as I'm sure there was a Pseudo Ops intro before a copy of X-Copy (ironically) that played the classic Felix Schmidt/Suntronics tune. (Well, the other one if you discount Paranoimia's use of 'Ready'... just think how much royalties he'd be due!) Sorry I can't be more help. You need to flesh it out a bit lol
Old 15 October 2019, 23:55   #6
nous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wright View Post
If you're convinced it was a copier then this won't help but Imploder (the compression utility) famously played several Paul Van Der Valk tunes as it did its thing depending on the iteration. It's when you said sweet and synth I thought of the above as I'm sure there was a Pseudo Ops intro before a copy of X-Copy (ironically) that played the classic Felix Schmidt/Suntronics tune. (Well, the other one if you discount Paranoimia's use of 'Ready'... just think how much royalties he'd be due!) Sorry I can't be more help. You need to flesh it out a bit lol
Having started looking through compilation disks, I stumbled upon BS1&Quoram-Utilities_.adf and a virus-scanner utility called Keeper V2.0, which plays a tune that starts (for the first 5 seconds or so) almost identically with the tune I'm looking for. The samples are also the same, as far as I can remember. Digging deeper, I found out this tune was composed by his royal highness Karsten Obarski and used as the end theme of Bone Cruncher. The main tune of "my" mod is quite different though, higher pitched and more melodic. Hope this helps.

Last edited by nous; 16 October 2019 at 16:58.
Old 30 April 2023, 16:01   #7
nous

Smile

EUREKA!

Having hopelessly searched through tens of hundreds of utility and compilation disks without success, I had pretty much lost all motivation and I was thinking of attempting to reconstruct somewhat the tune on my son's synthesizer, before all memory of the melody vanished into oblivion, hoping that someone would recognize it.

Then, at my family reunion for Easter in our village, something made me ask my sister whether she had seen any of my old 3.5" Amiga diskettes in our parents' house. "Why, yes!", she said, "there's a plastic bag with a couple of diskette boxes in my old room."

I ran -no, I flew- to her room and found 3 boxes full of 3.5" disks, most of them with commercial stickers of IBM-PC software. A few had hand-written labels, one of them titillatingly reading "MODULES", but a cursory inspection showed they were overwritten with random PC stuff. My spirits were low again. However, the plastic bag felt still a little heavy. I opened it again and I found something more.

My old spiral notebook, full of scribblings of hex addresses and numbers from my teenage days of 68000 assembly coding, had also the index for the tunes recorded on the cassettes my wife threw away: "Virus Killer - Baby"! "But," I thought out loud, "I was CERTAIN it was a disk copier..."

With this piece of information, it took me less than 30 minutes to find the tune: it was from the Tristar VIRUSKILLER v1.3, composed by Flynn.

Thanks to everyone who offered help in my search. My new ringtone sounds awesomely nostalgic.

Last edited by nous; 30 April 2023 at 19:27. Reason: Added vocaroo link
Old 01 May 2023, 01:37   #8
DisasterIncarna

ah well, got there in the end.
Old 01 May 2023, 09:44   #9
nous

It only took 30 years.
Old 01 May 2023, 10:09   #10
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Was it a bit of an anticlimax? I mean it's not the most amazing mod ever. Were your memories better than the real thing? Or is the nostalgia overwhelming?

I was listening to a pc music demo maybe 20 years ago?

https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=7789

It starts with a tribute to an amiga mod from Turbo Imploded III by Paul Van Der Valk. Imploder remix by Reed.

The nostalgia was incredible.

Even though the remix was arguably better than the original.

https://archive.org/details/flt_twis...r+(Remix).flac

Last edited by alexh; 01 May 2023 at 10:20.
Old 04 May 2023, 23:48   #11
nous

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Was it a bit of an anticlimax? I mean it's not the most amazing mod ever. Were your memories better than the real thing? Or is the nostalgia overwhelming?
You're right, it's a simple and short mod, certainly not even close to the most emblematic music of the Amiga. I don't know how to put it in words well, but this little tune touches my soul with its sadness and innocence. So, yes, the nostalgia is overwhelming; listening to the first notes for the first time after 30 years made my heart beat faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I was listening to a pc music demo maybe 20 years ago?
https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=7789

It starts with a tribute to an amiga mod from Turbo Imploded III by Paul Van Der Valk. Imploder remix by Reed.

The nostalgia was incredible.

Even though the remix was arguably better than the original.
https://archive.org/details/flt_twis...r+(Remix).flac
Nice compilation. Very few remixes manage to surpass the originals IMO, Total Eclipse and Deactivators are two that easily stand out.
Old 05 May 2023, 00:48   #12
DisasterIncarna

i always pause and change my mind when i think ill post a thread about something i vaguely remember just incase what i write down as remembering ends up being utterly wrong.

Its like when i try to remember the name of some actor in a film and i say to a family member, "you know its that bloke whos last name starts with N", only for it to be a name like Sanderson and i look a right moron.....more than usual.
Old 05 May 2023, 21:27   #13
8bitbubsy

Nice, I'm glad you found it even though it took "only" 30 years. Case closed!