English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 09 June 2001, 22:44   #1
Mangar
Got the fever back

Exclamation Brattacus

Please someone tell me this is fake. It claims to be a psygnosis game.. It has a title screen and all but if it is someone at psygnosis should have had the crap kicked out him for releasing such a pile of excrement..

Better yet.. should it be included in the database?
Old 09 June 2001, 22:53   #2
Khephren

If we kicked the shit out of all programmers who released crap software, intensive care units around the world would have queues out in the streets.

I struggle to remember a GOOD psygnosis game.

When that bloody owl logo came up, there was always a deep regret at having wasted 2 minutes in XCopy.

Old 09 June 2001, 23:12   #3
Mangar
Got the fever back

hehe.. however, this is even WORSE than all the psygnosis games.. this reminds me of something from the commodore 64.. it doesnt have psygnosis' trademark flashy graphics..

Old 09 June 2001, 23:34   #4
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

The problem here is the same problem that plagued too many early Amiga games - the Atari ST conversion wields its ugly bird head again.

The game was the first title from Psygnosis (released here in the US by Mindscape). It was also the second game ever released on the Amiga (trivia fans!), although it's widely reported as being the first (that honor goes to "Defender of the Crown").

The game was written on and debuted for the Atari 520ST. If I remember correctly, the joystick controls for the Amiga have vanished in the translation - even though the identical joystick controllers exist on both machines. Somebody had to go out of their way to map the controls to the keyboard for the Amiga! As you might expect, the rest of the game follows the same sort of guidelines, making no use whatsoever of any of the Amiga's custom chips to increase the game's performance!

At least that's the way I made my notes the last time I attempted to stomach this abominable tripe.
Old 09 June 2001, 23:41   #5
Mangar
Got the fever back

Nice bit of trivia.. Luckily we had defenders of the crown to show off cuz it would have been a horrible start for the amiga with this waste of binary digits. Bttr's rating of 20% is too kind.
Old 09 June 2001, 23:45   #6
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

You're right...20% is ridiculously generous!

As for the trivia, it's only a matter of time before someone replies that CBM's "Mind Walker" was the first Amiga game...
Old 10 June 2001, 00:11   #7
Khephren

Oh I remember them really having a go at this game in ST/Amiga Doormat now. Jeez it's all coming back to me.

Old 10 June 2001, 18:06   #8
Amiga1992

Oi Mangar, what's wrong with reminding of something from the Commodore 64?
Old 10 June 2001, 20:43   #9
Mangar
Got the fever back

Heh.. there's nothing wrong if a game looks like its on a c64 IF its on the commodore 64.. For a psygnosis game to look like that is an embarassment for them..
Old 10 June 2001, 22:32   #10
Karl Stodulski

Guess I'll get it in the neck but...

<gulp>

I used to LIKE that game!

I was young at the time and it was one of the first Amiga games I ever played (the first was Tiger Shark to see how it compared to the C64 version).

I never used to know what I was doing, but liked to try and 'chat', reading the hard to read text. It was like being in another world...

Old 10 June 2001, 22:48   #11
Khephren

I think I was lucky. I wasn't much of a game player, more interested in programming and graphics. For me it was the Juggler demo and the specs of the Amiga that made me buy one.

If I saw this pile of a bilge of a game without knowing any different, I certainly would not have gone near it.

Absolutely diabolical game.

Old 12 June 2001, 00:25   #12
MethodGit

Stick out tongue A *good* Psygnosis game?

Quote:
Originally posted by Khephren
If we kicked the shit out of all programmers who released crap software, intensive care units around the world would have queues out in the streets.

I struggle to remember a GOOD psygnosis game.

When that bloody owl logo came up, there was always a deep regret at having wasted 2 minutes in XCopy.
Should I remind you of the one thing that pretty much made Psygnosis a household name in the early '90s: the Lemmings series? (I prefer Lemmings 2 more than the first one, though, and I haven't played the third game (yet).)

Brataccas: Remember though that this was Psygnosis' first ever Amiga game in their career (it was released in 1987) and that obviously their graphic skills improved throughout the years. I think the graphics make it look more like a high-res Amstrad game (it has the familiar-looking red, white and green colours). It might also look like a Spectrum game, except I don't know if the Spectrum is capable of colours like that. It is funny though, to play this Amiga game but have that constant feeling that you're really playing a Spectrum/Amstrad/early-4-colour-C64-thing (if such a thing exists) game through a special emulator hidden inside an MFM disk format, making it inaccessible for personal use.
Old 12 June 2001, 00:42   #13
Amiga1992

Lemmings.. and then?

I kind of liked Walker, but there were not many cool Psygnosis games. The ones by Travellers Tales were good (Leander, Puggsy... Why do these guys don't code 2D games anymore? they were GOOD! here's hoping for some Travellers Tales GBA projects), and I liked Wiz n Liz, however most games were technically impressive but, gameplay wise, appaling.
Old 12 June 2001, 12:05   #14
Tim Janssen

Unhappy Wrong directions

I really like the games Psygnosis have produced on Amiga. Blood Money, Menace, Bob's Bad Day, Ork, Beast III and Hired Guns are among my favourite games.

For me, they went to the wrong direction when they decided in 1993 to produce film tie-ins of Cliffhanger, Dracula, and Last Action Hero. When they also were bought out by Sony in 1994 it was the end of the Psygnosis I always liked.
Old 12 June 2001, 12:24   #15
Mangar
Got the fever back

I liked Lemmings, Blood Money, Leander, Obitus and the first Shadow of the Beast. Classic games in my mind. Some of the other stuff was bowls of monkey shite. The gameplay was terrible. To progress in a lot of their games you need a trainer. Agony and Killing game show werent too bad either..
Old 12 June 2001, 18:56   #16
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Red face DMA Design

Let's not forget that Psygnosis were just the publisher of these great games. The real talent behind games like Blood Money, Menace, Hired Guns, Lemmings and Walker were the great DMA Design!
Old 19 June 2001, 13:31   #17
Tim Janssen

Arrow Old Psygnosis titles

Does anyone remember other ancient Psygnosis titles? I remember Ballistix, Captain Fizz, Anarchy and a few others. It is nice to know how their games were in the heyday of the Amiga.

Cody,
There were great teams Psygnosis hired for their games. I think DMA Design and Reflections were the best. I also like Traveler's Tales (Leander) and WJS Design ((Anarchy, Ork). I also appreciate the guys who did Pyrotechnica and Ecstatica on PC.
Old 19 June 2001, 18:23   #18
MethodGit

Arrow

Just thought I'd add that Traveller's Tales also did Puggsy in 1993/94.
Old 19 June 2001, 18:40   #19
Amiga1992

I said that already, ;P

Quote:
... The ones by Travellers Tales were good (Leander, Puggsy... Why do these guys don't code 2D games anymore? they were GOOD! ...
It seems those games were the first one produced by them. And they kept churning quality titles from then on, like Mickey Mania.
Old 28 June 2001, 09:35   #20
Tim Janssen

Roman racing game

Yesterday I read some ancient previews of Amiga games at Def Guide to Zzap!.
In one the magazines (I cannot remember which issue) there was a preview of an ancient Psygnosis game. I think it was called Chariots of Rome or something in a similar vein. It is a game based on the famous Roman horse-race scene in the movie Ben-Hur. Does this game ring a bell?