English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 June 2008, 21:35   #1
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Replacement CD-ROM for CDTV?

I recently won an entire CDTV system on eBay (ie. main unit, floppy disk drive, keyboard, caddy, controller). It has a v2.3 motherboard, which (according to the BBoAH) is the most recent version. It's a very nice system!!

However, it was sold "as-seen" so I took a bit of a risk, and it turns out that the CD-ROM drive isn't working. Games work from floppy disk absolutely fine, but when I insert a CD, the CDTV logo just keeps spinning.

So... what can I do about it? The CD-ROM drive is proprietary from what I've read, so I'm assuming the only solution is to replace it like-for-like, which probably means salvaging another CDTV?

Anybody got a spare CDTV CD drive lying around, or a battered CDTV main unit but with a working CD drive?

Steve.

(Maybe I should have put this in Marketplace?)
Old 19 June 2008, 21:50   #2
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJGore View Post
I recently won an entire CDTV system on eBay (ie. main unit, floppy disk drive, keyboard, caddy, controller). It has a v2.3 motherboard, which (according to the BBoAH) is the most recent version. It's a very nice system!!

However, it was sold "as-seen" so I took a bit of a risk, and it turns out that the CD-ROM drive isn't working. Games work from floppy disk absolutely fine, but when I insert a CD, the CDTV logo just keeps spinning.

So... what can I do about it? The CD-ROM drive is proprietary from what I've read, so I'm assuming the only solution is to replace it like-for-like, which probably means salvaging another CDTV?

Anybody got a spare CDTV CD drive lying around, or a battered CDTV main unit but with a working CD drive?

Steve.

(Maybe I should have put this in Marketplace?)

Steve have you tried cleaning the lens on the laser???
Old 19 June 2008, 22:10   #3
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Failing that there's a jumper on the board that enables/disables the CD drive

Has that fallen off

Dave G
Old 19 June 2008, 22:13   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davideo View Post
Failing that there's a jumper on the board that enables/disables the CD drive
That jumper disables "extended ROM" and would prevent CD booting completely (and CDTV boot screen)

EDIT:

Try pushing the caddy downwards while it is inside the drive, that fixed my first CDTV that refused to read any CDs.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 19 June 2008 at 22:19.
Old 19 June 2008, 22:23   #5
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
That jumper disables "extended ROM" and would prevent CD booting completely (and CDTV boot screen)
Good point - never thought of that

Dave G
Old 19 June 2008, 23:18   #6
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

Quote:
Try pushing the caddy downwards while it is inside the drive, that fixed my first CDTV that refused to read any CDs.
She's alive, she's alive!!!

Thanks Toni! Currently playing Sim City.

Quote:
Steve have you tried cleaning the lens on the laser???
I tried taking the CDTV apart, but couldn't get anywhere near the laser. I took all the screws out of the motherboard, but there still seemed to be something holding it down. I still wouldn't mind trying to clean the laser, even though it's working now.

Steve.
Old 19 June 2008, 23:34   #7
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

You need to unscrew the video card from the back of the CDTV casing and then the MB will lift out once unscrewed.

Be careful of the ribbons that connect the front panel to the MB = they're right barstewards to get back in

Dave G
Old 20 June 2008, 09:48   #8
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Hey Steve

I'm really Happy for you mate, well done,

Nice tip Toni.

TC
Old 20 June 2008, 11:43   #9
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
another happy ending
Old 20 June 2008, 14:40   #10
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Quote:
You need to unscrew the video card from the back of the CDTV casing and then the MB will lift out once unscrewed
Ah, that did the trick! Good job I didn't force it earlier!!

Still couldn't get near the lens, though. There are a few screws that won't budge, and I don't want to strip the heads.

Can I use a regular cd lens cleaner, such as one of those CDs with bristles attached to it? Or does the caddy prevent this?

Steve.
Old 20 June 2008, 16:06   #11
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Have you tried blowing it out with a can of air?

I can't remember putting a CD cleaner in mine but I'd try it if I thought it would do any good

Could be risky - no responsibility accepted

Dave G
Old 21 February 2017, 10:50   #12
amigaman07

How To...

Hi all.
This Post made for an Great Read, so here is how I Cleaned and Serviced my CDTV CD ROM Drive, should anyone like to try the Process???
I just Purchased this unit, it is the 2nd CDTV I have Ever had, as they are Quite RARE! And although this Unit is Working, the CD ROM Drive is STICKY (Caddy Hard to Insert) and does Not read CD's.
1) Remove 4 x Side Case Screws and Lift off Top Case Lid.
2) Remove 2 x Small Screws on REAR Video Adapter, and Slide Adapter Out. Also Remove any other Adapter i.e. SCSI CARD in adjascent Expansion Port in the same way.
3) Looking at the CDTV Mainboard, with Top Lid Removed and Front Fascia Facing you. Un-Plug the 2 x IDE Connector Cables from MOBO, Left (CD ROM IDE) & Right (Front Upgrade Port IDE Lead)
4) Un-Plug & Remove 2 x Power Supply Unit Cables, In Middle Right of Mainboard, the Fan Cable to Right Rear, and 3 x other Connector Cables, 2 to Right and 1 Left of Mainboard.
5) Unscrew the 4 x Mainboard Outer Screws and 1 x Centre Screw and remove (these are Fine Threasds). LEAVE the 4 x Upgrade Port Screws in place, these are Coarse Threadded Screws, and are in-Line with each other near Left Middle of Mainboard.
6) Remove 2 x Black Front Fascia Screws, visible from Top of Front Fascia, and Left Side Fascia Retaining Screw, Down Left Side of Front Fascia.
7) Lift front Fascia Out and in an Upward Motion, Roll it or Rotate it so it is Sitting on Top of Mainboard (do Not dis-connect). You do Not need to Dis-Connect the 3 x Front Fascia Connecting RIBBONS, as they are a Bugger to Re-Connect!
9) Lift Mainboard Up at the Front and Pull Forward towards you Gently, it should Pull out and away from the Case / Frame. (make sure No Audio Leads or anything are still Connected to the Rear of Mainboard)
10) With mainboard Removed, you can see the CD ROM Drive (Bottom Left of Case). It is retained in a Large Metal Housing by 4 X Fine Thread Screws. Remove these 4 Screws to Remove CD Drive in Housing from the CDTV.
11) Un-Plug the CD Drive. There is an IDE Cable and Standard 4 Pin AT Power Supply Cable and 1 other small plug / connector. The Drive should Remove away from the CDTV.

To Service / Clean the CD ROM Drive, Do the following, this is Tricky...

1) There are 4 Screws retaining the CD Drive to the Metal Frame Housing, Remove these to access the CD ROM Drive.
2) You now have access to the Drive and it's Part Numbers. Write these down, should you require them.
3) To Disassemble the Drive, and access the Laser Lense to Clean / Service the Drive, Looking at the Top of the CD Drive, Remove the 6 x Square Cover Plate Screws. Lift and remove this Plate, this Plate Retains the Laser Lense Cleaning Brush, which will Spring out of Position! But do Not Panick! It is easy enough to put back together!
4) You will now see the Laser and the 2 Side Black Caddy Guide Tracks (Dont know real Name) these 2 Black Caddy Guide Tracks were Filthy, so Need a Major Clean! Lift them Both out and Clean / Re-Grease (Do Not Remove Side Springs in these Guides, these can be lubricated). Note Orientation before removal and also Note where Side Slide Pegs Sit in the Guides before Removal. The Greased Slides Face to the Outer and the Tracks where the Caddy Slide in are to the Inside. You cannot Re-install in-correctly! You can now Grease and Lubricate these 2 Caddy Guide Tracks. Also Grease and Lubricate other Moving Drive Parts. and Clean the Laser
5) When Cleaned & Serviced, Replace the 2 Caddy Guide Tracks. Install as removed. You Must also install these in the Disk Inserted in Drive Position. To do this, there is a Rotating Peg to the Right Rear of the Drive, turn this until the Drive Tray Pops Out into the Disk Loaded position (The Front Eject Button will Pop forward towards you)
6) Install the 2 Caddy guide Tracks. When Installed you now Must Press in the Eject Button in, to Re-Fit the Top Cover Lid with the Laser Cleaning Brush.
7) Make sure the 2 Side Tracks are still in Position, and the Eject Button is Pressed in. Look Under the Square Top Plate before re-installing, the Spring on the Laser Lense Cleaning Brush is Slack, moving, and has a Long and a Short Wire. Pull the Long Side of the Spring Back towards Rear of Cover Plate, it will push the Short side of Spring into the Laser Lense Cleaning Brush Arm, and put a Pressure on Lense Cleaning Brush (it will Move into Stow Position). I had to Grip this with Long Nose Pliers, and pull it Back into View (be gentle).
8) It Sits in the Left Black plastic Caddy Guide Track (from Rear of drive) You should See the Slit for the Spring to seat into. The other Side does Not have this. Slide Top Plate Towards Drive and using Long Nose Pliers, Position the Spring into the Groove. It is a Bugger! Then Push Top Plate back on to Drive. Fit 2 x Screws so you can Test it. If Caddy Slides in with No Catching or Pressure, you have installed it correctly. If Force is Needed, there may be a problem, remove the Square Cover Plate and try again. When installed Correctly the Caddy with CD should insert Smoothly and Click into Position. if this is now the case, re-install all 6 x Screws.
9) Put Unit back together as Dis-Assembled.
10) All being well, your CD ROM Drive should Work like New!

Unfortunateley, my Laser is DEAD, i need to Replace it or try finding a New drive???

Darren (amigaman07)