English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 30 October 2001, 01:27   #1
RetroMan

Unhappy Picasso96 now commercial

[snip]
CLOANTO LICENSES PICASSO96 SOFTWARE

Cloanto is proud to announce that it licensed both the "Picasso96" software from Alexander Kneer and Tobias Abt, and Brian King's "UAEgfx" Monitor implementation, for use in Amiga Forever.

A shareware version of Picasso96 has been providing RTG (Amiga retargetable graphics) functionality to the emulation software which is part of Amiga Forever since 1997. With the new license Cloanto would like to acknowledge the precious contribution of the Picasso96 Team to the ease of use, compatibility and speed which made Amiga Forever so successful, and further contribute to the future development of the Picasso96 software. The new license replaces the shareware status of the Picasso96 software included in Amiga Forever. Support and upgrades will continue to be provided by Cloanto as part of the Amiga Forever product.

Thanks to the Picasso96 implementation in the Amiga emulation, when an Amiga program makes a function call to open an RTG screen, or to otherwise read or change its contents, that functionality is in most part executed as native and very fast x86 code. Furthermore, the Windows versions of the emulation programs included with Amiga Forever (i.e. WinUAE and WinFellow) fully exploit the latest versions of Microsoft DirectX, which is normally used by games and multimedia applications to provide maximum performance by providing low-level access to specialized hardware features, without having to re-write hardware-specific code. In practice this means that while other emulation programs only offer proper support for a handful of display cards, Amiga Forever has been running fine and will continue to run fine with hundreds of different display cards, including most graphics card currently available, and those which will be released with Windows drivers in the future.

The combination of Picasso96 and DirectX technologies provides palette-based, hi-color, true-color and multi-monitor screen modes well beyond the functionality and speed of the original Amiga hardware. Also, while other emulation packages do not even support simple peripherals such as a USB mouse, keyboard, joystick and speakers, DirectX includes DirectInput and DirectSound, which allow the emulation as included in Amiga Forever to support all popular input and sound devices.

The Picasso96 software is just one of the many components which have been carefully selected, preinstalled and tested for compatibility in Amiga Forever, to make Amiga emulation a simple one-click experience which works on the widest possible range of different PCs. Hundreds of other items, including for example GIF/LZW code used under license from Unisys Corporation (and not available in the version of Personal Paint included on Aminet), ColorFonts and AnimFonts by Kara Computer Graphics, and anything from entire software packages to single icons are carefully listed in the Copyright and Credits sections of the Amiga Forever documentation (which includes 8 KB of text only to list the individual third-party contributions).

In spite of increasingly difficult times Cloanto keeps improving its own software technology and licensing valued third-party contents to constantly improve Amiga Forever and offer continued support and compatibility to the Amiga community. Cloanto is grateful to all of its valued customers for supporting these efforts.

[/snip]

So if anyone in the future wants to have Picasso96 installed in WinUAE, he/she must buy the AmigaForever Package just like with the Kick Roms No good .....
Old 30 October 2001, 01:32   #2
Ian
Global Moderator

I guess AIAB was more competition than we thought, well not anymore

Cloanto = M$ (Only on a smaller scale)

Good job I like the standard workbench look
Old 30 October 2001, 01:34   #3
RetroMan

Do we all have to remove our installed Picasso96 Software immediately ??? :haha
Old 30 October 2001, 04:32   #4
Korodny
Zone Friend

RetroMan:

> So if anyone in the future wants to have Picasso96 installed in WinUAE, he/she must buy the
> AmigaForever Package just like with the Kick Roms No good .....

Why, is this UAEgfx monitor driver not available (legally) for download ? Picasso96 does not
"go commercial", it's *shareware*. It's about time that Cloanto pay licensing fees for it.

Btw.: By not de-installing/paying shareware fees, you're not hurting Cloanto, but the P96 team -
dedicated Amiga coders.
Old 30 October 2001, 17:06   #5
Amiga1992

Great, another move to cash-in from Amigans. This fucking sucks. Cloanto AND Amiga Inc. must perish
Old 30 October 2001, 17:09   #6
Paul
RIP Friends

I got this PICASSO96 SOFTWARE just in time.

Why do they have to copy M$ tactics :eek
Old 30 October 2001, 17:36   #7
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Great, another move to cash-in from Amigans. This fucking sucks. Cloanto AND Amiga Inc. must perish
I agree. WE MUST MAKE "AMIGA FOREVER" A FREE PRODUCT. In order to keep our sanity. And our happiness.

Bleh, who knows what's gonna happen next, guys?! The dollar-eyed bastards might buy out WinUAE as well if we don't watch our backs. :eek
Old 30 October 2001, 17:42   #8
Ian
Global Moderator

They will NEVER make us buy WinUAE, there's something in the UAE readme's that states NO-ONE can make a profit from the source code by selling the emu or modified versions of it.

So don't worry just yet Marz

And before you ask about WinFellow, that doesn't support P96 yet, so that not going to happen either
Old 30 October 2001, 18:38   #9
Alexh

Obviously the authors of Picasso96 felt that Cloanto were making too much money off their work (and rightly so) so they decided that Cloanto MUST pay a licensing fee when selling it with their Amiga Forever package.

It doesnt mean ANYTHING to us users who are NOT selling Picasso96, just using it (cept Amiga Forever might go up in price a little).

Later

Alex

Old 30 October 2001, 20:33   #10
Korodny
Zone Friend

What are you guys talking about ? Once again:

---> Picasso96 is *shareware* <---

Everybody who wants to distribute P96 with its commercial Software/
Hardware Produkt has to pay license fees to the P96 team. That has got
nothing to do with the "MS way".

P96 is *not* free, and it never has been. In fact, everybody who uses
it with WinUAE without paying the Shareware fee is *pirating* it.
Old 31 October 2001, 17:26   #11
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
They will NEVER make us buy WinUAE, there's something in the UAE readme's that states NO-ONE can make a profit from the source code by selling the emu or modified versions of it.
Unless the maker sells out :P Remember Brian King has been collaborating with Amiga Inc... he might sellout anytime.

About P96... perhaps it is licensed for free for personal use? You can download it from the Aminet and I never cracked it or something similar. The license must apply for commercial distribution only.. well, so I guess.
Old 31 October 2001, 18:34   #12
Korodny
Zone Friend

@Akira:

> About P96... perhaps it is licensed for free for personal use? You can download it from the
> Aminet and I never cracked it or something similar. The license must apply for commercial
> distribution only.. well, so I guess.

Wrong. Read the accompanying documentation. It's unrestricted shareware, but if you are using
it regularly, you have to pay the shareware fee (unless you are using it with a product which
contains a licensed copy (Amiga GFX cards, Amiga PCI boards, WinUAE).
Old 31 October 2001, 18:35   #13
Korodny
Zone Friend

Sorry, a typo: in my pevious posting, replace "WinUAE" with "future AmigaForever
versions" please :-/
Old 31 October 2001, 19:16   #14
Amiga1992

I see... fortunately i do not use it regularly

Unrestricted shareware is a great thing, unluckily most people dont use it
Old 31 October 2001, 23:04   #15
oldpx

Cloanto is the microsoft of the Amiga scene. I hate this company and I don't hate something easily. Why do they insist on staying on the Amiga scene rather than joining the mafia or something?

Old 31 October 2001, 23:55   #16
Ian
Global Moderator

Clonato, doing everything in there power to ring every last drop of money from the Amiga public(In general, not about this topic, which Korodny has cleared up)

The funny thing is though, if we all stopped paying they'd soon disappear and our "illegal" copys of the kickstart images and workbenchs would (Probably) be free to all.

Boycott Cloanto

On a side note, I have Amiga Forever and I don't rate it, AIAB is far better IMO and that's completely free, but I don't use either of them. I prefer the original look and feel of our beloved machine, I guess Workbench 1.3 had a profound effect on me or something
Old 01 November 2001, 15:56   #17
Amiga1992

I actually think Amiga Inc. is the Microsoft of the Amiga scene :P Cloanto is their 'right-hand' or something.
Old 02 November 2001, 09:43   #18
kriz

say what ? whats the fuck is wrong with Amiga inc., i hope they manange to get out Amiga OS 4.0 and that the amigaOne gets released ..

i think this is very important , cause I have waited since 93 to buy a new amiga .. and now it might happen (it is delayed yeah, but we will wait..)

And Cloanto have made some great software before, but now they seem to only focus on emulators .... But at least there is an option for people who doesnt want to (have the time) to search for everything they need to emulate the amiga.... just my thoughts
Old 02 November 2001, 17:28   #19
Amiga1992

The "New Amiga" you so eagerly wait for has NOTHINg to do with what a real Amiga was or is. amiga has become nothing but a brand, except for us who still treasure what the real machine is. Amiga Inc. are just out there to make a buck out of poor amigans like you who have faith in whatever the fuck they say it's going to be good for the Amiga. for christ's sake, I bet hundreds of idiots bought one of those PDA devices just because they havea hint of Amiga in there. That's just retarded.

IF I was wanting to run the new AmigaOE, I would not have to buy any new machine, my current PC would run it. Fall from the sky and check out reality, Amiga is software now, not anymore a machine. The AmigaOne is a (crap?) solution for current Amigans to migrate from a cool A1200 to a shitty metoo machine.