English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 25 July 2021, 15:59   #1
Avrovulcan

Amiga 2000 & SCSI2SD card

Hi,

I took my Amiga 2000 out of long term storage about 2 years ago. It had been dormant up my mum and dads loft for nearly 26 years.

My restoration thread is here:

https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=102199

In short I cant get my system to recognise the SCSI2SD card I bought from AMIGAKit.

This card is the V5.1 version. I have replaced my KS 2.0 ROM with KS 3.1.4.

The system boots from the install disk to workbench but I get no HD0 indication on the Workbench screen. I have the +5V connected to the SCSI2SD card via an adaptor which is connected to one of the spare floppy power connectors. On powering up the yellow LED on the SCSI2SD card flashes once and stays off.
I have all the original software for the GVP cards: Fasstprep, GVP Install, SupraBoot and SupraTools. On running any of the SCSI or HD preping software I either get a report that no SCSI devise is present or connected, or EPROM in? Autobooting enabled? Binddrivers? errors

I'm certain that it's me doing something wrong. It's been so long since I did any serious work on this machine that I'm at a loss as to what to do next.
I don't remember it being this difficult back in the day. I was under the assumption (possibly wrongly) that the SCSI2SD card should just function out of the box. I have tried altering the jumper settings on my accelerator card to enable auto boot and SCSI EPROM JP9 and 8 if I recall. But have still no joy.

The SCSI2SD card has a 16MB SD card fitted that was supplied by AMIGAKit.

Any assistance would be greatfully received.

Kind regards

Andy
Old 25 July 2021, 16:11   #2
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avrovulcan View Post
Hi,

I took my Amiga 2000 out of long term storage about 2 years ago. It had been dormant up my mum and dads loft for nearly 26 years.

My restoration thread is here:

https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=102199

In short I cant get my system to recognise the SCSI2SD card I bought from AMIGAKit.

This card is the V5.1 version. I have replaced my KS 2.0 ROM with KS 3.1.4.

The system boots from the install disk to workbench but I get no HD0 indication on the Workbench screen. I have the +5V connected to the SCSI2SD card via an adaptor which is connected to one of the spare floppy power connectors. On powering up the yellow LED on the SCSI2SD card flashes once and stays off.
I have all the original software for the GVP cards: Fasstprep, GVP Install, SupraBoot and SupraTools. On running any of the SCSI or HD preping software I either get a report that no SCSI devise is present or connected, or EPROM in? Autobooting enabled? Binddrivers? errors

I'm certain that it's me doing something wrong. It's been so long since I did any serious work on this machine that I'm at a loss as to what to do next.
I don't remember it being this difficult back in the day. I was under the assumption (possibly wrongly) that the SCSI2SD card should just function out of the box. I have tried altering the jumper settings on my accelerator card to enable auto boot and SCSI EPROM JP9 and 8 if I recall. But have still no joy.

The SCSI2SD card has a 16MB SD card fitted that was supplied by AMIGAKit.

Any assistance would be greatfully received.

Kind regards

Andy

I take it you have plugged the SD2SCSI using the mini USB into a PC and setup the card against the adapter?

Watch this YT from 10marc to teach you how

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 25 July 2021, 16:24   #3
Avrovulcan

Err..

...no, didn't. But I will now. I erroneously assumed that you set the card up via the Amiga.

Thanks for enlightening me. I'll let you know how I get on.

Kind regards

Andy
Old 25 July 2021, 16:31   #4
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avrovulcan View Post
Err..

...no, didn't. But I will now. I erroneously assumed that you set the card up via the Amiga.

Thanks for enlightening me. I'll let you know how I get on.

Kind regards

Andy
Welcome to 21st century Amiga ownership

Doug explains this very well. Also have a look on YT for Chris Edwards videos as he also does an excellent job of with his multitude of Amiga models
Old 25 July 2021, 18:02   #5
Avrovulcan

OK. I'm a bit further forward. I downloaded the app, updated the firmware on the SCSI2SD and partitioned the SD card. Saved the settings to the flash.
Connected to the 030 card and on booting with the 3.1.4 install disk im still not seeing the SD card.
I plugged my Impact II back into the system and Fasstprep sees something but none or the data fields are filled in. This is as far as I can get. The GVP software won't let me format the card
There is still no HD0 displayed on the Workbench screen.

I think I'm missing something here. I'm probably looking at things a bit too complicated.

Any ideas??

Regards

Andy
Old 25 July 2021, 21:01   #6
Matt_H

There are 2 broad steps to take care of:
1. Preparing the board as a SCSI device (or devices) - this is done via USB on the PC
2. Preparing the hard drive - this is done on the Amiga

It sounds like you've mostly taken care of step 1, but be advised that you don't "partition" the drive on the PC. I think the feature you're referring to is the one that allows you to divide the SD card into multiple SCSI devices. In other words, you can set the first 4GB as SCSI ID 2, the next 4GB as SCSI ID3, etc. This is helpful for working around the 4GB barrier without any additional software patches on the Amiga side. With 3.1.4 this *usually* isn't necessary, but since I don't think gvpscsi.device was ever updated for >4GB support you'll still need to use it. From the Amiga's perspective, it'll be like connecting multiple hard drives.

Once you've plugged the configured device into the Amiga you need to prep the virtual hard drives - install the RDB and partition as you desire. FaaastPrep is extremely obsolete, so use the version of HDToolbox that comes with 3.1.4. There's a tooltype you'll need to change from scsi.device to gvpscsi.device. Drag HDToolbox from the 3.1.4 Install disk to RAM and edit the tooltype and run from there to avoid floppy write-protection issues. HDToolbox should scan the entire bus and present you with devices at each of the SCSI IDs you configured on the PC. Select one, click "Install new drive" or such, "Define new type", and then "Read configuration". With 3.1.4 all the autodetection should work correctly. Back at the main HDToolbox screen, click "Save changes to drive", then you can start partitioning. Save changes again, reboot when HDToolbox prompts you to, and your partitions should finally show up on the Workbench screen.
Old 25 July 2021, 21:09   #7
Avrovulcan

Fantastic. Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. I'm shocked at how much I've forgotten. Unfortunately the curse of the PC has taken its toll on me.

Anyway, many thanks and I'll get back in the next couple of days (work permitting) and let you know how I got on

Kind regards and thanks
Andy
Old 26 July 2021, 05:13   #8
Matt_H

One other thing I just remembered, there is a big GVP-specific FAQ in the 3.1.4 distribution. I had a look and it seems you may be able to use the full 16GB of your SD card as a single drive after all using the SCSI_Direct command set: make sure the "Direct SCSI Transfer" checkbox in HDToolbox is set for all of your partitions and I think you'll be good to go. Once partitioned, use the check4gb.lha package to confirm that everything is okay and prevent nasty data loss surprises in the future.

Recommend you have a look at the GVP FAQ as well in case there's anything else applicable to your setup.

Quote:
I'm shocked at how much I've forgotten. Unfortunately the curse of the PC has taken its toll on me.
It happens; nothing to be ashamed of. The important thing is to enjoy your new (old) Amiga hobby.
Old 26 July 2021, 08:21   #9
Avrovulcan

Many thanks.

Kind regards
Andy
Old 26 July 2021, 09:29   #10
Jope
-

You can use hdtoolbox, copy it to ram, click on it once on the ram disk, take information on the icon, change scsi.device to gvpscsi.device and then go about your partitioning.