English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 July 2020, 17:51   #1
amigatime

A600 Recapping Questions

My A600 internals look to be in great condition, but from what I can gather, it's the bits I can't see that could be a problem. So, I'm thinking that recapping it is probably a good idea. However, I don't feel confident doing it myself.

So, the first question is who would you recommend in the UK?

I was thinking of Amiga Kit, who charges £35. There's also someone on eBay called amigapassion who does regular capacitors for £35 or "premium" capacitors (apparently polymer which are not supposed to leak) for £50.

The second question is, is it worth going with premium capacitors? Are all non-polymer capacitors prone to leaking at some stage?
Old 04 July 2020, 01:07   #2
S0ulA55a551n

AmigaPassion 100%, not saying they are better than AmigaKit , but. have used AmigaPassion and was very pleased with the work. Also fixed my Vampire

Last edited by S0ulA55a551n; 04 July 2020 at 01:12.
Old 04 July 2020, 01:08   #3
S0ulA55a551n

I went for premium on my a1200, but I have owned it since It came out so wanted to treat it well
Old 04 July 2020, 18:40   #4
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
polymer caps are awesome. my pc motherboard use them and i have it since 2005.
Old 05 July 2020, 13:11   #5
amigatime

Hmm, I'm tempted with the premium caps, but I wasn't sure if they were worth it over regular good quality caps. I think these guys use Panasonic ones.
Old 06 July 2020, 14:28   #6
CubeTheory

2 of my friends have just had their amiga's in with AmigaPassion. one was an A600 and the other an A1200.

Both really happy. the A600 was a straight recapping with Polymer caps.

The A1200 was a bit different. he had already bought the Polymer caps but decided not to try and do it himself. also the mouse would only go up and down! He sent it off to AmigaPassion and they fixed the mouse issue (replaced U34 shift register) and used his caps to do the recap!!

Only charged him £35!
Old 06 July 2020, 17:05   #7
amigatime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubeTheory View Post
2 of my friends have just had their amiga's in with AmigaPassion. one was an A600 and the other an A1200.

Both really happy. the A600 was a straight recapping with Polymer caps.

The A1200 was a bit different. he had already bought the Polymer caps but decided not to try and do it himself. also the mouse would only go up and down! He sent it off to AmigaPassion and they fixed the mouse issue (replaced U34 shift register) and used his caps to do the recap!!

Only charged him £35!
That's pretty good!

Well, I ordered the premium recapping service, so I've just got to get it packaged up and sent now. In the end, I thought the difference of £15 is worth it for capacitors I never have to worry about.
Old 17 July 2020, 16:22   #8
amigatime

My motherboard arrived with AmigaPassion (now known as RetroPassion) on Monday, but apparently he has quite a backlog so I'm not sure when I'll get it back. I feel like an anxious parent! And now I've got my Monster Joysticks kit, it's making the wait even more difficult

I guess now might be a good time to try cleaning the case.
Old 23 July 2020, 00:09   #9
rabidgerry

I'm in the same boat, but I have asked a couple of times via email if he has received my mother board and he hasn't got back to me. He was initially very quick to respond via email so really do not know what is going on.
Old 23 July 2020, 01:33   #10
amigatime

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
I'm in the same boat, but I have asked a couple of times via email if he has received my mother board and he hasn't got back to me. He was initially very quick to respond via email so really do not know what is going on.
That's worrying as I had the same experience; quick to reply at first, and then nothing. I've sent him a couple of polite messages over the last week and a half and he hasn't answered either of them. I don't mind if he's running behind, I would just feel better knowing that it wasn't trashed in transit and he will get around to it.
Old 23 July 2020, 10:09   #11
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigatime View Post
That's worrying as I had the same experience; quick to reply at first, and then nothing. I've sent him a couple of polite messages over the last week and a half and he hasn't answered either of them. I don't mind if he's running behind, I would just feel better knowing that it wasn't trashed in transit and he will get around to it.
Exactly the same. I left it a week since my last attempt, actually a week and a day from I last emailed asking if he got my Amiga and if it arrived safely.

So others on my thread about this said he can be like this but I think it's weird myself.

So I sent about 3 unanswered emails, then left it a week, then sent another yesterday and still nothing.

I was wondering if may be something has happened him i.e. got Coronavirus or something else and he is unable to respond? I mean I don't think that's beyond reality to assume something like that when you don't hear from a guy in 2 weeks (been two weeks since I last had an email from him).

I'm worried

Yeah I don't mind if he is behind either I just wanna know if he got my Amiga and if everything is ok with him. Peace of mind etc.
Old 23 July 2020, 11:32   #12
Aardvark

He contacted me last sunday, shortly after I bought A1200 on his web store.
Old 23 July 2020, 12:08   #13
rabidgerry

Well then he isn't unable to respond. When you say last Sunday, you mean Sunday the 19th?
Old 23 July 2020, 12:23   #14
amigatime

Quote:
Exactly the same. I left it a week since my last attempt, actually a week and a day from I last emailed asking if he got my Amiga and if it arrived safely.

So others on my thread about this said he can be like this but I think it's weird myself.

So I sent about 3 unanswered emails, then left it a week, then sent another yesterday and still nothing.

I was wondering if may be something has happened him i.e. got Coronavirus or something else and he is unable to respond? I mean I don't think that's beyond reality to assume something like that when you don't hear from a guy in 2 weeks (been two weeks since I last had an email from him).

I'm worried

Yeah I don't mind if he is behind either I just wanna know if he got my Amiga and if everything is ok with him. Peace of mind etc.
I went through the same thought process re. Covid-19. Who knows with everything that's going on? But then I found his facebook profile via his website:

https://www.facebook.com/amigapassio...43003712513759

He posted yesterday, so good news on that front. Completely understand that he's busy, but it's a shame that he's not interested in spending a few minutes replying to concerned customers. I'm sure that he does a great job, but I think it would really improve the service if we were kept in the loop. Like you say, it's all about peace of mind. I can't be the only one who briefly considered the idea of the motherboard never coming back.
Old 23 July 2020, 12:33   #15
Aardvark

Quote:
Well then he isn't unable to respond. When you say last Sunday, you mean Sunday the 19th?
Yes
Old 23 July 2020, 12:41   #16
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigatime View Post
I went through the same thought process re. Covid-19. Who knows with everything that's going on? But then I found his facebook profile via his website:

https://www.facebook.com/amigapassio...43003712513759

He posted yesterday, so good news on that front. Completely understand that he's busy, but it's a shame that he's not interested in spending a few minutes replying to concerned customers. I'm sure that he does a great job, but I think it would really improve the service if we were kept in the loop. Like you say, it's all about peace of mind. I can't be the only one who briefly considered the idea of the motherboard never coming back.
Good so I'm not overreacting at all then and other people do share my train of thought There was me thinking everyone else seems to think this is the norm when I originally brought it up in my own thread. Totally appreciate being busy etc I mean probably a side job and people have families and all that stuff. I just wanted to know if my board arrived and then I would have cooled my jets a bit.

Also I forgot to add a note stating who the board was from so I sent an email yesterday saying how he could identify it but since no reply who the fuck knows what's going on?
Old 23 July 2020, 12:53   #17
S0ulA55a551n

I think he has a regular 9 -5 job as well as running this Retro business, so might explain why he is slow to respond. I did find in my dealings that Steve was quicker to reply on weekends.
Old 23 July 2020, 13:17   #18
rabidgerry

Oh I totally get that as stated previously.

I just think in this day and age everyone's email goes to their phone so it's not hard to see them come in and not hard to respond even to write a line or two for confirmation.

Had I got a response about my initial enquiry I would not have sent another 3 so it's not that I'm trying to be annoying about it.
Old 26 July 2020, 18:41   #19
rabidgerry

18 days today and still no contact. Had a friend contact Steve via Facebook to which he was instructed to tell me to email Steve and quote my invoice number which I did on Friday. Still watching tumble weed pass by and wondering if my Amiga will ever be seem again?
Old 26 July 2020, 20:24   #20
amigatime

Yep, still waiting on a response myself. Pretty disheartening.