English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 03 June 2021, 18:35   #501
alancfrancis

@boemann Thank you, Camilla! This is extremely helpful. For SAS/C I notice you don't mention the lib, just the headers. Do I not need to worry about the amiga.lib, or do I need to do a similar clearout for the libs too ?

@phx Thanks Frank, I had read that no fd2pragma work was required for 3.2 so assumed headers/protos would be fine with vbcc but I wasn't sure about the link libs there either.
Old 03 June 2021, 18:48   #502
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancfrancis View Post
@boemann Thank you, Camilla! This is extremely helpful. For SAS/C I notice you don't mention the lib, just the headers. Do I not need to worry about the amiga.lib, or do I need to do a similar clearout for the libs too ?
copy amiga.lib over (keep a backup though), but i don't think much has changed in there. Depends on how old the old one is i guess
Old 03 June 2021, 18:52   #503
MrClump

When I hit the HELP key the help system doesn't load on my A1200, have I done something wrong?

I have checked my help key works with AmigaTestKit. :-)
Old 03 June 2021, 19:03   #504
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClump View Post
When I hit the HELP key the help system doesn't load on my A1200, have I done something wrong?

I have checked my help key works with AmigaTestKit. :-)
Yes the FAQ helps you out on what to do
Old 03 June 2021, 19:20   #505
nogginthenog
Amigan

One thing I have noticed.
If you are using Executive (http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/Executive) then Icon -> Information locks the OS.

Executive is pretty old (1997) and probably a massive hack. I'm going to switch it off.
Old 03 June 2021, 19:25   #506
alancfrancis

Quote:
Originally Posted by boemann View Post
copy amiga.lib over (keep a backup though), but i don't think much has changed in there. Depends on how old the old one is i guess
Thank you again! All seems good so far. Instead of deleting the amiga stuff from sasc/include I just put the new include_H ahead of it in the include: assign and all still builds, and I can pick up things like proto/texteditor.h so all good there.

Now to actually try and use something new and check it links and runs ok :-)
Old 03 June 2021, 19:27   #507
cloverskull

Received my copy! Installed in WinUAE. Haven't had much of a chance to take it for a test drive, yet...

As someone who was always a massive fan of ClassicWB (particular for 3.9) - can someone recommend some good workbench additions to add some similar bells/whistles/functionality?
Old 03 June 2021, 19:30   #508
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Thank you again! All seems good so far. Instead of deleting the amiga stuff from sasc/include I just put the new include_H ahead of it in the include: assign and all still builds, and I can pick up things like proto/texteditor.h so all good there.

Now to actually try and use something new and check it links and runs ok :-)
Enjoy. Btw I hear you may be working on a git system ?
Old 03 June 2021, 19:53   #509
alancfrancis

Quote:
Enjoy. Btw I hear you may be working on a git system ?
Yes, I'm kind of feeling my way there and trying not to drown in analysis paralysis :-). I had a sort of hacked together working version that only worked locally - init, add/remove, commit and when I went to add a pull/push I realised it was a jump in complexity from working in more modern environments where https was just a simple URLRequest away.

I stopped to figure out how to get libcurl/amissl all working and during that pause I switched from vbcc to bebbo-gcc because I was wasn't smart enough to figure out the various binary compatibility stuff and decided to try and rebuild my hack "properly". Then actual work (I make a Mac app called Sketch) got busy and the whole thing is paused :facepalm: but I plan to get back to it imminently.

If I get it to the point where its vaguely working again I'll let you know if you are interested :-)

I also joined a friend who's building a blue book Smalltalk vm for Amiga 1.3 -> AROS. Too many side projects.
Old 03 June 2021, 20:14   #510
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Yes, I'm kind of feeling my way there and trying not to drown in analysis paralysis :-). I had a sort of hacked together working version that only worked locally - init, add/remove, commit and when I went to add a pull/push I realised it was a jump in complexity from working in more modern environments where https was just a simple URLRequest away.

I stopped to figure out how to get libcurl/amissl all working and during that pause I switched from vbcc to bebbo-gcc because I was wasn't smart enough to figure out the various binary compatibility stuff and decided to try and rebuild my hack "properly". Then actual work (I make a Mac app called Sketch) got busy and the whole thing is paused :facepalm: but I plan to get back to it imminently.

If I get it to the point where its vaguely working again I'll let you know if you are interested :-)
I'm massively interested. We are planning on getting sgit to build on os3. Shouldn't be a huge huge task but not easy either. But it always good if something better comes along. So yes please tell when you have news
Old 03 June 2021, 20:38   #511
alancfrancis

Quote:
I'm massively interested. We are planning on getting sgit to build on os3. Shouldn't be a huge huge task but not easy either. But it always good if something better comes along. So yes please tell when you have news
shall do. My biggest concern is raw speed. sha1 and libz are both required and neither are very quick on my A1200 :-). You can (of course) make what is essentially a local only, internally solid clone of the "mechanics" of git without libz, but if I want to actually be able to copy a "real git" repo over from my Mac and work on it on my Amiga, it needs to use the same object formats. Mine is very much from scratch so not likely to compete with a full git implementation. I just wanted to be be able to do some basics - init, add/remove, commit, diff, push/pull. I'm not even sure where to start with merge :-)

If you were interested, you would likely be *much* faster than me and I was basically following along with https://benhoyt.com/writings/pygit/ and translating into C as I went.
Old 03 June 2021, 20:48   #512
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
shall do. My biggest concern is raw speed. sha1 and libz are both required and neither are very quick on my A1200 :-). You can (of course) make what is essentially a local only, internally solid clone of the "mechanics" of git without libz, but if I want to actually be able to copy a "real git" repo over from my Mac and work on it on my Amiga, it needs to use the same object formats. Mine is very much from scratch so not likely to compete with a full git implementation. I just wanted to be be able to do some basics - init, add/remove, commit, diff, push/pull. I'm not even sure where to start with merge :-)

If you were interested, you would likely be *much* faster than me and I was basically following along with https://benhoyt.com/writings/pygit/ and translating into C as I went.
Sounds good - i'm personally much more interested in rebase than merge which i never use, and yes binary compatibility and fetching resetting pushing are all essential.

But I can't set aside time to do it - I'm way too busy with new features for AmigaOS
Old 03 June 2021, 20:55   #513
alancfrancis

Quote:
Sounds good - i'm personally much more interested in rebase than merge which i never use, and yes binary compatibility and fetching resetting pushing are all essential.

But I can't set aside time to do it - I'm way too busy with new features for AmigaOS
:-) Fair enough, Im delighted that's your priority ;-) I'll keep you posted if I get anywhere
Old 03 June 2021, 20:58   #514
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Just dropping by here to say a big thank you to Boemann.
Love the word wrap feature in Textedit (and the rest as well).

Great job, Camilla..
Old 03 June 2021, 21:11   #515
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post

Great job, Camilla..
Thanks you are welcome

if you read through the changelog of texteditor.gadget you will see what a huge refactoring it has been through
Old 03 June 2021, 21:17   #516
Swe_Kryten2x4b

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
One thing I have noticed.
If you are using Executive (http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/Executive) then Icon -> Information locks the OS.

Executive is pretty old (1997) and probably a massive hack. I'm going to switch it off.
Phew, I thought it was just my setup that didn't like Executive anymore...only mine locks up earlier. Well, not entirely. The wb with backdrop picture loads, but Amidock doesn't load up everything. Some programs refuses to start. With executive off, everything works. And worked fine in 3.1.4.1.

Maybe I'm imagining things from before, but Executive seemed to boost responsiveness so it's a pity to not being able to use it anymore. Especially since I have the registered version.

Toolsdaemon seems to trash execbase too (also a massive hack though).
Old 03 June 2021, 22:43   #517
MrClump

Quote:
Yes the FAQ helps you out on what to do
That sorted it, thanks. :-) Classic case of RTFF!
Old 04 June 2021, 01:10   #518
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Well, I placed my order with Sordan on the 21st, but according to the tracker, still no package anywhere so not too sure about their stock..
Now the package containing the CD+ A1200 and A500 ROMs is on the move at last ;-) Package tracker suggests its leaving Ireland so it seems they have it in stock now.
Old 04 June 2021, 01:18   #519
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post

Great job, Camilla..

OOoohhh!!! Sweet!! I'm glad my CD is on the way.
Old 04 June 2021, 07:51   #520
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
OOoohhh!!! Sweet!! I'm glad my CD is on the way.
Really happy with 3.2 so far. some of its features are kind of hidden at first glance, especially for someone like me who isn't an AmigaOS nut.

Love being able to shove windows out of the screen and the resizing. And finally having word wrap in the text editor. And the adf mounting. But also so many other nice little details.