English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 01 July 2007, 18:23   #1
ugopaliotto

your most bizarre memories related to Amiga

What is your most bizarre memories Amiga - related? This is my story: I've bought a copy of Amiga Action of June 1995. They gave away a full game, Qwak the thunder rabbit. I should go to holidays with a friend of mine and we agreed that I 'd have to sleep at his home in order to get early the next morning. But I was impatient to play the game, so I decided to go my home. In the middle of the night, I was awaken by some strong noises: it was a robber trying to crack a window in the bathroom! Luckily, when he saw that I switched on some lights, he escaped!
Amiga saved my house! :-)
Old 01 July 2007, 22:15   #2
Macca
Zone Friend

Can we change this to any format? If not ignoe my post!

My weirdest memory I think is that ages ago on a Zzap 64 magazine they gave away a game called Cyberdyne Warrior (by Thamalus iirc).

As soon as the game loaded I already knew the cheat - don't ask me how. I knew that putting the joystick in port 1 then going up, down, left then right would change it from press start to play to press start to cheat.

Why I knew that I don't know. Perhaps it was just how it was saying press start to play or maybe I'd read it somewhere before.

Weird..

M.
Old 02 July 2007, 00:38   #3
Graham Humphrey

Not sure about bizarre, probably quite boring but here goes anyway...

I was writing a long AmigaDOS script, I'd just finished writing it and I was about to save it when - hey presto - we had a powercut. I was well chuffed, as you might imagine...

I think that's more "bad luck" and "incredibly frustrating" rather than bizarre, but still...
Old 02 July 2007, 00:42   #4
Floz

Awesome stories! Mine isn't quite as exciting, but...

When I was little, I used to play on an Amiga game called Fun School 3, and one of the activities was basically letter-writing, where a teddy was your cursor. I guess it was for helping kids learn to type or whatever. Anyway, one time I left the room with just this teddy on the screen for an hour or something, and when I came back he'd written me a letter! It happened a few times actually, and I was always amazed that my computer was writing me messages. It was definitely very, very weird.

Of course, in the end it was my parents that were writing the messages! But it's a strange memory nonetheless.

Old 02 July 2007, 00:49   #5
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Since I've got Centurion and Pinball Dreams as me first Amiga 600 games, I've played'em quite often.

I remember beating the hell out of everyone in Centurion, except (IIRC) The Brit's and that small island under Rome... whatever it was called...

I've couldn't get on the freaking ship!!!

Not that I've couldn't - I did not know how!

Then one night, during sleep after a succesful day of playing Centurion, I've dreamed about, me clicking on my unit (on the map) with the *right* button this time... ... ...
At morning, wasn't very keen to try it on, but "what the heck, might as well try that"...

So I did... and it worked... and I was a happy Amiga user since... and I was a happy Centurion player since... and I've completed Centurion many times!!!
... and was even happier when the WHDLoad install came!
Old 02 July 2007, 01:08   #6
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Floz

I think there is a script / program on aminet that actualy does type a message when left idle for so long when you are in a text-editor lol. when you hit space it dissapears...

so heres my story...

For fun I use to use a program called cookie-guru it was a little program that would display a small fortune for your day.

so i clicked on said program.. it said "answer the knock at the door".... within a heart beat there was a knock at the door...

this i dismissed as co-incidence... un-nervingly

It was my close m8 smiffy... so after a chat and catchup with muchoos coffee 'n stuff he went off home. so i resumed to what i was doing and i turned my amiga back on and low and behold my cookie-guru said on startup.. "a close friend will be with you today"...

It was at that time i felt it best to stop using the cookie-guru, but more so especially when it kept refusing to give me the winning lottery numbers!
Old 02 July 2007, 01:11   #7
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Whoa! Zetr0, Cool! I hope it's on AmiNet?
Old 02 July 2007, 01:14   #8
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Shoonay

I think that it is on Aminet... I am pretty sure thats where i downloaded it... infact if i get my old hard disks up and running i might be able to zone it ...

maybe... a lot going on atm.... we shall see...

i will say though... i did poke it a lot to try and give me a winning 6 numbers for the lottery but it never did....
Old 02 July 2007, 01:16   #9
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Might be fun to "interprete for my own needs" it's "hints".
Looking forward for an upload, Z.

---=== EDITED ===---
Quite a bunch of proggies under "fortune cookie program" on AmiNet :/
Old 02 July 2007, 09:04   #10
plasmatron
Zone Friend

Great stories.
Old 02 July 2007, 17:06   #11
FromWithin
Music lord

Many, many stories. From whacking the bottom of my Amiga every time I switched it on to get it working, to (almost) randomly getting a phone call and asked to do the Last Ninja 2 music, to the Psygnosis/Ocean football match where Neil Thompson broke the leg of Ocean's goalie, to being told by one of the programmers that I wasn't a real musician because I used an Amiga instead of a Mac (!), to getting all of my music gear except for my Amiga (took it home every night) robbed from Psygnosis, to Future Entertainment Shows, to salvaging thousands of floppies from getting thrown out that contained the original artwork to stuff like Obliterator, to salvaging five A3000s that were getting thrown out (and replaced with A4000s) because no-one seemed to comprehend that you could put graphics cards in them, to <insert infinity stories here>.
Old 02 July 2007, 17:44   #12
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

No fair FromWithin, your stories are actually interesting

I once turned an Amiga RGB scart lead into 2 short pieces of useless cable by trying to 'fix' it when it was slightly broken.
Old 02 July 2007, 18:18   #13
blade002
Zone Friend

A friend of mine and i were having a 6 hour beer bender one night and he accidently knocked his bottle over and spilt it into his A500. The machine automatically shutdown as you would expect.. we took it apart, wiped down the circuit board, let it sit for about an hour then turned it back on & it WORKED !??. Amazing
Old 02 July 2007, 18:34   #14
Dizzy
Pirate

I remember a holliday in London. I wanted to visit an amigashop (I found in one of the amigamag), so I took the train to of of the end station, and walk forever just to, not find the shop, and returning to central London, very disappointed and wasted most of a day
Old 02 July 2007, 20:00   #15
Ironclaw
Banned

My most bizarre Amiga story have I told about before...... well, maybe not bizaare.

Anyway many many years ago I played Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. I got stuck at a part where, according to a walkthrough, a cogwheel should be. I looked everywhere for quite some time in that room... and the next day I gave it a try again... then looked elsewhere.... I got bored so I shelfed the game.... more than 1 year later I booted the game up, loaded the savegame... and INSTANTLY I saw the damn cogwheel!!!!!!... so, not long after that I finally completed the game.
Old 02 July 2007, 20:10   #16
Graham Humphrey

Strange, how when you don't think about things for a while, then you have a go and suddenly you have the answer. Certainly that's happened for me when it comes to programming several times.
Old 02 July 2007, 20:11   #17
Dizzy
Pirate

yes you always find the thing the last place you look
Old 02 July 2007, 20:13   #18
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey
Strange, how when you don't think about things for a while, then you have a go and suddenly you have the answer. Certainly that's happened for me when it comes to programming several times.
I've dreamt the solution to programming probelms before!
Old 02 July 2007, 20:14   #19
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
yes you always find the thing the last place you look
Of course you do... I mean, it will always be the last place you look when you find it. I really hate that saying.

You never say "Phew, I finally found it the penultimate place I looked" do you? Well, you might but I never do
Old 02 July 2007, 20:15   #20
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey
Of course you do... I mean, it will always be the last place you look when you find it. I really hate that saying.

You never say "Phew, I finally found it the penultimate place I looked" do you? Well, you might but I never do
I always look an extra place so it's not the last place