English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 June 2022, 07:55   #21
aeberbach

After watching your video I have to comment again - nice video! That's a very fair and considered review.

(What's the key for?)
Old 24 June 2022, 08:12   #22
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberbach View Post
(What's the key for?)
It's for Steam
Old 24 June 2022, 09:11   #23
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I think the video review shows very well that the combat wasn't 'mash and pray', but that you could really make a difference in those action sequences (also the starting fencing one). The timing and angle that you shoot make all the difference.
Yep, sorry, I was referring to the sword combat on the boat. That one looked like nothing I did had any real difference.

The naval battles were okay. Quite liked them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kad3t View Post
Well, it's a game that started it all - well, not all maybe - but the games about pirate's life. Even one of the Assassin's Creed games was heavily influenced by it. Check the Port Royale, as it may be something you'll like. Many of the themes are similar there.

Pirates! is great and is historical piece. But as with most other games in existence, it does not have to be liked by everyone. And that's cool too, so don't worry about it.
I am a huge Ultima fan, but I started with 6 and I could never get into the first Ultimas. Ultima III was just too slow for my tastes. Everyone that has played it back in the day seems to love it to bits, though. I guess it must be the same with Pirates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberbach View Post
The originals were good but nothing was as good as the iPad version that came out early on, and disappeared from the store about 5 years ago. I think it had issues with iOS 9? Anyway it was the best. I played many different Pirates! ports but iPad was king. It was so good even the dancing minigame wasn't horrible.
Very intrigued by this iPad Port, will check it out. Maybe I can find an IPA somewhere of that long lost version?
Old 24 June 2022, 16:37   #24
kad3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverskull View Post
Y'know, Pirates is one that I never played back in the day but discovered fairly recently. Suffice it to say I think this game is excellent, and has a ton of replayability. It's a ton of fun. I only wish I'd discovered it in my youth.
There's a newer steam remake and Ports of Call Port Royale games are also more or less in the same mind space. Both worth trying.
Old 24 June 2022, 17:11   #25
dreadnought

Port Royale tries to imitate Pirates and on paper all the elements are there, but for me it lacks soul. Never could get into these games.

Then there's the Sea Dogs series, which I actually really liked and played a lot, but again, it's not really Pirates. All these games lack that special something which made the original tick and made it so replayable and addictive.
Old 25 June 2022, 13:46   #26
kad3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Port Royale tries to imitate Pirates and on paper all the elements are there, but for me it lacks soul. Never could get into these games.

Then there's the Sea Dogs series, which I actually really liked and played a lot, but again, it's not really Pirates. All these games lack that special something which made the original tick and made it so replayable and addictive.
Maybe what they're lacking is a touch from Sid Meier?