English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 13 January 2017, 15:20   #301
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Also make sure Winsize and Master Jumpers are ON and swap config is OFF
I'm talking to him over mail. As far as I can see the swap config jumper is in the wrong position
Old 16 January 2017, 05:07   #302
DarrenHD

Made some progress thanks to Hedeon...simple patched apps are working now. Still fighting with Warp3D apps, FlashMandelWOS (patched) and trying to get sound to play using AmigaAMP or AMPlifier using patched mpega.library. No luck yet on those.
Old 17 January 2017, 02:48   #303
grelbfarlk

Mpega.library doesn't work well with Amplifier or AmigaAMP. I have got it to work with Amplifier for about 20 seconds of audio then it grinds to a halt. AmigaAMP is pretty easy to get working just patch the External WarpOS plugin and rename the AmigaAMP executable to AmigaAMP_2005. Hedeon has gotten the mpega.library working in at least one demo that I recall but IIRC the executable was PPC not 68k like Amplifier or AmigaAMP.

For Warp3D apps there is a Mediator variable in ENV:Mediator/VoodooInt that should be set to Yes, I couldn't figure this one out for a while.
Old 17 January 2017, 04:10   #304
DarrenHD

Quote:
Mpega.library doesn't work well with Amplifier or AmigaAMP. I have got it to work with Amplifier for about 20 seconds of audio then it grinds to a halt. AmigaAMP is pretty easy to get working just patch the External WarpOS plugin and rename the AmigaAMP executable to AmigaAMP_2005. Hedeon has gotten the mpega.library working in at least one demo that I recall but IIRC the executable was PPC not 68k like Amplifier or AmigaAMP.

For Warp3D apps there is a Mediator variable in ENV:Mediator/VoodooInt that should be set to Yes, I couldn't figure this one out for a while.
Thanks for the info! Is there any way you can send me the patched external WarpOS plugin? I don't have the setup to patch the exe's.
Old 17 January 2017, 09:07   #305
jack-3d
kLiker

Some of my experiences with Sonnet in Amiga: HERE
Old 17 January 2017, 18:14   #306
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack-3d View Post
Some of my experiences with Sonnet in Amiga: HERE
Thanks Jack3D! Was a nice read I look forward to part 2

Hedeon and I have been working alot to try and get my Sonnet working stable, but unfortunately it still crashes alot. Could be my memory, or the system not liking my overclocked CS PPC (060 66Mhz, 366MHz PPC), who knows....even after a clean OS 3.9 BB2 install it still is crashing quite frequently when the Sonnet is activated.

I have a CS MK3 060/50Mhz (not overclocked) out for repair to Poland. When it comes back I will try again with that CPU card. Hopefully I will have better luck. I don't want to waste Hadeon's time if my machine has hardware problems in it's current configuration.
Old 17 January 2017, 19:01   #307
jack-3d
kLiker

@DarrenHD: I was also facing permanent stability issue. Two of my friends gave me their A4000s both with Black Mediator 3V and Sonnets to install it and make it working just like I have. Unfortunately one Mediator seemed to work badly with Sonnet.

Last edited by jack-3d; 19 January 2017 at 23:06. Reason: Typos
Old 17 January 2017, 19:34   #308
DarrenHD

Quote:
@DarrenHD: I was also facing permanent stability issue. Two of my friends gave me their A4000s both with Black Mediator 3V and Sonnets to install it and make it working just like I have. Unfortunately one Mediator seemed to work badly with Sonnet. I also found it did not accept Voodoo4 card. When I exchanged that Mediator by mine or the other one all was stable and working like charm. Mediator is now reclaimed to Elbox as it does not work with Voodoo4, hopefully they will repair it so the third Amiga can be completed as well.
Hmmm I hope that is not the case with mine. I'm hoping it's the CPU Card.

At least the Voodoo 3 and 4 both work in my Mediator, so hopefully the Mediator is OK. My A4000 system is totally stable if I do not activate the sonnet.library. If I just use regular WarpOS with the CS PPC as normal all PPC apps work 100%, including encore by night demos, warp3D gears demos, mpega.library (WarpOS).

Once I get my non-overclocked non-PPC cpu card back (CS MK3) in about 1.5 months I am crossing my fingers it will work OK with the Sonnet.

I sent it to Stachu in Poland for repair.
Old 17 January 2017, 23:04   #309
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenHD View Post
Hmmm I hope that is not the case with mine. I'm hoping it's the CPU Card.

At least the Voodoo 3 and 4 both work in my Mediator, so hopefully the Mediator is OK. My A4000 system is totally stable if I do not activate the sonnet.library. If I just use regular WarpOS with the CS PPC as normal all PPC apps work 100%, including encore by night demos, warp3D gears demos, mpega.library (WarpOS).

Once I get my non-overclocked non-PPC cpu card back (CS MK3) in about 1.5 months I am crossing my fingers it will work OK with the Sonnet.

I sent it to Stachu in Poland for repair.
Is the CSPPC totally stable in OS4.1? I have found that before I had repaired my CSPPC OS3.9 worked 99% of the time and I thought it was perfect but running OS4.1 was a crash fest-until the CSPPC was repaired.

I have a very similar system to yours without the superfast CSPPC, and it's quite stable. That is it was until I started screwing around with it last weekend.

So, my question, which 68060.library are you using? I found out today that Thor's 68060.library is working much better than Phase 5's. I'm guessing if you installed a fresh OS3.9BB2, you used Phase5's libraries. Though the MMU library does take special setup to work with the CSPPC, basically follow the doc but it boils down to a special MMU-Configuration in ENVARC: which calls P5init.

Also current config if this is of interest to anybody:
CSPPC@50/200
PCI Slots from the top->down
8029 NIC
Sonnet
Voodoo 3 2000
FM801
Spider
Mediator Bridge

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 17 January 2017 at 23:17. Reason: more info, cleanup
Old 18 January 2017, 02:46   #310
esc

I just found one, purchased, and it will ship to me soon. I'm excited! However I have an A1200 with a BPPC and mediator. I wonder how these things will react.

That said, I volunteer as tribute to do anything which requires testing on an A1200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 18 January 2017, 04:08   #311
DarrenHD

Quote:
Is the CSPPC totally stable in OS4.1? I have found that before I had repaired my CSPPC OS3.9 worked 99% of the time and I thought it was perfect but running OS4.1 was a crash fest-until the CSPPC was repaired.

I have a very similar system to yours without the superfast CSPPC, and it's quite stable. That is it was until I started screwing around with it last weekend.

So, my question, which 68060.library are you using? I found out today that Thor's 68060.library is working much better than Phase 5's. I'm guessing if you installed a fresh OS3.9BB2, you used Phase5's libraries. Though the MMU library does take special setup to work with the CSPPC, basically follow the doc but it boils down to a special MMU-Configuration in ENVARC: which calls P5init.

Also current config if this is of interest to anybody:
CSPPC@50/200
PCI Slots from the top->down
8029 NIC
Sonnet
Voodoo 3 2000
FM801
Spider
Mediator Bridge
Yes, it's totally stable in OS 4.1 except for SCSI. SCSI will lock up under OS 4.1 (not 3.9). So I am using only IDE in this system, and it's totally fine under OS 4.1 FE. I gather for whatever reason on this particular overclocked CS PPC OS 4.1 doesn't agree with the SCSI. I've heard of others with overclocked CS PPC's that work fine. Bad luck I guess.

I am, yes, using phase-5's 060.library, the latest one. I will try out the Thor mmu library and see if it makes a difference.

Darren
Old 18 January 2017, 08:39   #312
jack-3d
kLiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by esc View Post
I just found one, purchased, and it will ship to me soon. I'm excited! However I have an A1200 with a BPPC and mediator. I wonder how these things will react.

That said, I volunteer as tribute to do anything which requires testing on an A1200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
A1200 Mediators are not supported and I am not sure if they will ever be.
Old 18 January 2017, 12:51   #313
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Yes, it's totally stable in OS 4.1 except for SCSI. SCSI will lock up under OS 4.1 (not 3.9). So I am using only IDE in this system, and it's totally fine under OS 4.1 FE. I gather for whatever reason on this particular overclocked CS PPC OS 4.1 doesn't agree with the SCSI. I've heard of others with overclocked CS PPC's that work fine. Bad luck I guess.

I am, yes, using phase-5's 060.library, the latest one. I will try out the Thor mmu library and see if it makes a difference.

Darren
With my CSPPC system using the p5 060.lib 46.15 Sonnet apps crash within seconds to minutes, not an issue with Thor's 060.lib.
Old 18 January 2017, 16:06   #314
DarrenHD

Quote:
With my CSPPC system using the p5 060.lib 46.15 Sonnet apps crash within seconds to minutes, not an issue with Thor's 060.lib.
I tried Thor's libraries last night. Unfortunately no luck, still getting crashing.

I have two partitions setup. One OS 3.9 BB2 setup with normal WarpOS, ppclibemu, and now Thor's libraries. Using the PPC on the Cyberstorm PPC all WarpOS stuff works fine. Encore by Night demo, W3Demos Gears PPC etc..., mpega.library using PPC, Benoit (PowerUp fractal program), FlashMandel (WarpOS fractal program), Wipeout 2097 PPC demo..so everything works 100%. I don't get any crashes.

My other partition is just clean OS 3.9 BB2 with No WarpOS installed, only the sonnet stuff and sonnet patched apps/demos. I tried also Thor's libraries on that partition last night and still got crashing....

Now I will wait for my non-overclocked CS MK-3 060 50MHz to come back from repair Hopefully the Sonnet will be stable in my system with the MK3.

I want to move this CS PPC back to my A4000T anyway. I don't want to have two PPC's in one box That would be a waste
Old 19 January 2017, 13:27   #315
jack-3d
kLiker

I wish the problem disapears with the repaired MK3, but something is telling me there should not be any problem with CSPPC running with Sonnet. Also overclocking should not affect the Sonnet job. I had MK3 running at 66 for some time and there was no single problem, but then I decided I am not using that Amiga for 68k stuff at all so I replaced it with MK1 040 and this is absolutely enough, because I anyway run only Sonnet stuff on that.
Old 19 January 2017, 20:40   #316
DarrenHD

Quote:
I wish the problem disapears with the repaired MK3, but something is telling me there should not be any problem with CSPPC running with Sonnet. Also overclocking should not affect the Sonnet job. I had MK3 running at 66 for some time and there was no single problem, but then I decided I am not using that Amiga for 68k stuff at all so I replaced it with MK1 040 and this is absolutely enough, because I anyway run only Sonnet stuff on that.
Stachu replied me today he received my MK3 for repair, so hopefully he will be able to fix it and send it back to me in a few weeks.

Regarding the overclocking. It may be that some CS PPC's overclock better than others. There are different board revisions (0,1,2,4) (Not sure about 3 - never seen one). I know revision 4's are DCE produced. I don't know the exact differences between the phase-5 revision 0,1, and 2's, but I gather there are some slight differences in some of the programmed chips. This particular CS PPC is a revision 1.
Old 19 January 2017, 23:02   #317
grelbfarlk

Quote:
I think Jack is right, if the accelerator is stable, there should be no real issue, I guess if there is dodgy 5V in the system or something unrelated that could be exacerbating the problem with the Sonnet. I have been running the Warpengine on the other machine at 66MHz the whole time I was using the Sonnet. Interesting thought about just using a plain old 040, I did test with an A3640 with an LC060 and that was ok.
Old 20 January 2017, 15:16   #318
DarrenHD

Quote:
I think Jack is right, if the accelerator is stable, there should be no real issue, I guess if there is dodgy 5V in the system or something unrelated that could be exacerbating the problem with the Sonnet. I have been running the Warpengine on the other machine at 66MHz the whole time I was using the Sonnet. Interesting thought about just using a plain old 040, I did test with an A3640 with an LC060 and that was ok.
I don't have any other CPU cards to test with unfortunately. I will update you when the MK3 comes back and I install it...crossing my fingers ;-) First, I hope that Stachu can actually repair it :-/
Old 20 January 2017, 23:33   #319
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Quote:
I don't have any other CPU cards to test with unfortunately. I will update you when the MK3 comes back and I install it...crossing my fingers ;-) First, I hope that Stachu can actually repair it :-/
Strange, I thought every A4000 owner, especially ones with multiple A4000s had an A3640 laying around. I use my A3640 to prop up the one short leg of the desk unless I need it for something.
Old 21 January 2017, 04:25   #320
DarrenHD

Quote:
Strange, I thought every A4000 owner, especially ones with multiple A4000s had an A3640 laying around. I use my A3640 to prop up the one short leg of the desk unless I need it for something.
I have a 3630 actually....now that I think of it. And a 3640 but it is dead.

Would the 030 work?