English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 14 November 2010, 20:21   #261
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Ok let's see this then !

Hem.... Don't you forgot in the command the switch that ask to dump only one side ? It dumps BOTH !

EDIT : It's doesn't work correctly, the CPC drive hates the way the calibration is done. It's too fast, it should be slower.

The command for CPC is like this :

DTC -ffilename -g0 -i0 -i2 -s0 -e41

EDIT (2) : The stream dump is 10,4 mb

Last edited by dlfrsilver; 14 November 2010 at 20:48.
Old 15 November 2010, 10:11   #262
gizmomelb

silly question time.. if I'm trying to copy one of my old C64 disks (not a copy protected original) do I still need the double sided index thingy or can I just pop it in a 5.25" drive and copy to a .D64 image? ie: is a standard, user created C64 floppy disk single or double sided (I suspect single, but just want to be sure).

thank you.
Old 15 November 2010, 15:23   #263
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Ok let's see this then !

Hem.... Don't you forgot in the command the switch that ask to dump only one side ? It dumps BOTH !

EDIT : It's doesn't work correctly, the CPC drive hates the way the calibration is done. It's too fast, it should be slower.

The command for CPC is like this :

DTC -ffilename -g0 -i0 -i2 -s0 -e41

EDIT (2) : The stream dump is 10,4 mb
Nice. Please put in the KryoFlux Testdumps folder on the server...
Old 15 November 2010, 18:57   #264
chunky_tesco

has anyone else in the UK got there KF? Nothing in the post and it was sent on the 2nd
Old 15 November 2010, 20:21   #265
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Yes, many have. Can you please email me at cb AT kryoflux DOT com and send me your real name? I'll then look up the shipment... just to make sure and confirm.
Old 20 November 2010, 00:22   #266
chunky_tesco

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonvaltaz View Post

- Trivial Pursuit, Amiga Genus Edition (Hit Squad re-release)
- Monkey Island 2 (Kixx XL re-release) - this version does NOT have any code-wheel copy protection, unlike the one which has already been IPFed
Right I've dumped the above two games and am uploading them to the caps/softpres ftp server. The adfs seem to been fine, so hopefully the stream/raw files will be too. I was given some coverdisks as well, which I can upload to the amiga_apps folder?
Old 21 November 2010, 07:23   #267
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.vince View Post
I'm not very knowledgeable about these things and am wondering out of curiousity if the KryoFlux will be able to master Amiga DD disks with long tracks etc. in the same way the old Trace machines were able to?
Old 21 November 2010, 13:04   #268
IFW

Yes, just has a slightly better resolution than Trace machines - and is considerably smaller
Old 21 November 2010, 18:06   #269
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

And KF is slightly more lightweight... :-)
Old 21 November 2010, 19:38   #270
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmomelb View Post
silly question time.. if I'm trying to copy one of my old C64 disks (not a copy protected original) do I still need the double sided index thingy or can I just pop it in a 5.25" drive and copy to a .D64 image? ie: is a standard, user created C64 floppy disk single or double sided (I suspect single, but just want to be sure).

thank you.

Sorry, I overlooked this one. To dump the flipside of a C64 disk with only one index hole, you need to generate a fake index signal or find a drive that can step to -8.

We have a circuit for fake index in layout which will he available for modding drives.
Old 23 November 2010, 03:02   #271
niobyte
AMR / HOL Contributor

I received my KryoFlux device in the post late last week (around Wednesday).

The box was slightly crushed. Luckily the contents were still in perfect packed condition.

I am overall very impressed with this product so far.

I have now dumped over 50+ disks with all kinds of results. Overall very positive.

A great thing is that you can also increase the number of times a particular track is read if a read error occurs.

Also while a disk is being dumped you can see the status of each track (something that the CAPS tool lacks).

One thing I did find though, is that the PSU that came with my KryoFlux was very flaky and caused the floppy disk drive to constantly have streaming errors.

I ended up using one of my own portable molex PSUs and I no longer had any problems.

Before I did this I had quite a bit of grief with the floppy disk drive being picked up by KryoFlux. Half the time I lost connectivity to it or it dumped only up to around track 40 or less (occasionally even <16). Sometimes failing to even initialise the drive (either stating that the drive does not support the mode or stating track=0). Since using my own PSU everything has been operating great.

I noticed the difference in weight between the portable molex PSU that came with the KryoFlux (significantly lighter) and my personal portable molex PSU (significantly heavier). I do realise it took Mr.Vince quite a bit of time to source a decent PSU for the KryoFlux. I guess it is hard to find a decent portable molex PSU for a considerable cost.

It seems Richard Aplin's Cyclone 20 proof of concept was a great move into getting such a great product like this produced.

It would be awesome to see the write support enabled and the highly promising GUI for the Disk Tool Console (DTC) application used with this device. Let's see if it arrives by Christmas

Hats off to the SPS guys, you've done an incredible job with this product.

Especially to IFW and Mr.Vince.

Last edited by niobyte; 23 November 2010 at 03:50. Reason: Further info
Old 23 November 2010, 12:16   #272
IFW

Thanks for your kind words
Old 24 November 2010, 15:13   #273
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

BTW: There are KF units available for pre-order... just in case...

http://webstore.kryoflux.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1
Old 24 November 2010, 17:56   #274
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.vince View Post
I just think it's a wonderful coincidence. I really feared the rollout at this time... because communities sometimes can be pretty nasty, especially when things don't work as expected. Now this is a first gen thing, and of course there is one or another drive that does not work with it. But many do, and the software is working very well. Feedback is excellent and people pop up with really good ideas. So... we really appreciate how it is atm. Thanks!

BTW: Would you mind coming over to the KryoFlux forums and telling us about the drive(s) you are using?

I haven't even had a chance to try my kryoflux yet, been away. I have about 8 different models of 3.5" floppies that i intend to try so once i get them tested i will post a list

ps, and 4 different 5.25" models
Old 25 November 2010, 18:42   #275
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

5.25"... Yummy!
Old 28 November 2010, 01:00   #276
fiath

Quote:
Originally Posted by niobyte View Post
It would be awesome to see the write support enabled and the highly promising GUI for the Disk Tool Console (DTC) application used with this device. Let's see if it arrives by Christmas
We're hoping to have an *early* version of the UI ready for chrimbo... Maybe you would like to see what it currently looks like? See attached! If anyone has any suggestions on the look, we are very open to suggestions.

There is more discussion about it on this thread: http://forum.kryoflux.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46&p=344
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-11-27 at 23.11.22.png
Views:	202
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	27190  
Old 29 November 2010, 09:45   #277
Slayer
Amiga Member

That looks very smart

well done!
Old 29 November 2010, 11:50   #278
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by niobyte View Post
One thing I did find though, is that the PSU that came with my KryoFlux was very flaky and caused the floppy disk drive to constantly have streaming errors.

I ended up using one of my own portable molex PSUs and I no longer had any problems.

Before I did this I had quite a bit of grief with the floppy disk drive being picked up by KryoFlux. Half the time I lost connectivity to it or it dumped only up to around track 40 or less (occasionally even <16). Sometimes failing to even initialise the drive (either stating that the drive does not support the mode or stating track=0). Since using my own PSU everything has been operating great.

I noticed the difference in weight between the portable molex PSU that came with the KryoFlux (significantly lighter) and my personal portable molex PSU (significantly heavier). I do realise it took Mr.Vince quite a bit of time to source a decent PSU for the KryoFlux. I guess it is hard to find a decent portable molex PSU for a considerable cost.
PSUs... can of worms! So far only one KF board arrived damaged (but was working before). But already three PSUs are dead. It's _really_ hard to get something decent for a reasonable price. Due to the fact that we put them on top for less than we buy them for, every support incident makes them even more pricey for us.

I am really thinking of making the Premium bundle a bit more expensive to recoup money spent for exchanges of PSUs...
Old 29 November 2010, 12:31   #279
Slayer
Amiga Member

That's not the answer mr vince

From now on say they are available until your stocks run out but they are not guaranteed to be reliable (purchase at your own risk)

I never got a power unit even though I wanted one and I'm not too worried about sourcing my own... anyone buying one of these KF units seriously must have a few clues about hardware particulars...

I know people will always expect 100% this or that for there money but they also need to understand the nature of the beast! I'm going to bed, time for sleep... lol
Old 29 November 2010, 13:49   #280
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Erm. No, we don't sell things that are unreliable. That's why I refused to go with certain type of PSUs that lacked security circuitry etc.

But as it seems, these PSUs just don't like being pushed around. I checked them before shipment, and three were dead (= no power output) when they arrived. Now one turns out to be delivering not enough power, or only a fraction of what it should.

People expect us to replace these or refund the money. Now since we sell them in the bundle for EUR 5,- the latter is not very attractive. On the other hand, shipping gets as expensive as about EUR 9,-. Adding the cost for another PSU (because the customer is not going to return the one that died, I can't get it replaced by the dealer), we end up with EUR 14,- of additional costs. And we haven't even recouped handling (writing another delivery note, customs declaration). Let's say we calculate another EUR 4 for that. For a unit we did not make a single Euro with. That's economical nonsense. But you know... beginner's faults.

Therefore, we'll rise the price a bit. Won't make a huge difference, but we'll break the magical EUR 100,- barrier.