StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye View Post
Goal! is a good game, but the auto-scoring kinda ruins the sense of achievement
Auto-scoring? What exactly do you mean?
Old 26 March 2010, 10:45   #22
mombasajoe

Kill me but I like FIFA on Nintendo Advanced. Generally I´m not really interested in soccer/football but for five to thirty minutes (on a train, waiting room, whatever) it´s quite nice to play.
Old 26 March 2010, 10:56   #23
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Do I even need to spell it out?

All of you Kick Off 2 fans, get your butts over to the Kick Off Association and join a tournament near you already!
Old 26 March 2010, 10:57   #24
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Auto-scoring? What exactly do you mean?
In the Amiga version of Goal!, if you make a parallel pass inside the penalty box, all you have to do is repeatedly press the fire button and the recepient will score every time. I reckon that's what StarEye means.
Old 27 March 2010, 04:35   #25
EreWeGo

I just remembered another great game, can't believe I forgot to mention it: Total Soccer and Total Soccer 2000 on PC - great games, sort of a mix of "classic" games like Sensi and Kick Off, works best with a 3DFX card, (or Glide-Wrapper). Really cool tactics editor in Total Soccer 2000 too...

Old 27 March 2010, 12:09   #26
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I have never played Total Soccer - just checked it out on Youtube - it does look really good... I remember playing a very similar game in the arcades, cant remember exactly what it was called but I do remember it was a large two player machine where you looked down onto the screen - one player at each end would control their players with what is best described I suppose as a big tracker ball which you had to roll frantically with your hand to get your players to run... it was great fun.

I am going to check out Total Football on the Amiga today.
Old 27 March 2010, 12:15   #27
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Winning 11 4 on PS1 - I think that's ISS Pro Evolution in Europe - I liked this game - were there many differences between the European and Japanese release of this game?
Yeah I had hours of fun with ISS on PS1. IIRC correctly it was a Japanese import so the commentary was hilarious! Either that or KO2 for me.
Old 27 March 2010, 16:33   #28
Adropac2
Zone Friend

I don't like footy games so perhaps i'm not really qualified here but i love Kick Off 2 like no other game on Amiga- well there are other games i like just as much too but i want to get my point across.Extra time i think was the best one but my memory is a little hazy

I never really understood the Sensi love despite it being competent enough and still a fun game- it's more like football i guess but it doesn't allow quite as much control as Kick Off2 in shooting terms at least
Old 27 March 2010, 17:16   #29
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I am really going to have to re-investigate the whole Kick Off thing... I never really warmed to it because I was such a Sensible Soccer fan - time to give it another chance I think...

I have just been playing Hat Trick Hero - another Japanese Saturn Football game - it is a bit like Super Sidekicks on the NeoGeo - it would be nice to actually understand the instructions of this one as it looks as though you can pull off some weird very arcade like super shots that actually force the Goalkeeper into the net with the ball!!
It is not a great game but I am finding Japanese Saturn football games strangely addictive.
Old 27 March 2010, 19:54   #30
lolafg

GOAL !

It's the best for me as it was the first game wich you could really control the acceleration of the player when running , i've been really plug to this game with my brother !!

Then Kick off 2 , Emlyn Hugues Soccer , Sensible Soccer etc etc on Amiga !!

On PS2 : PES 5 (The Best) and now PES 2010 wich is really good !!
Old 28 March 2010, 00:26   #31
copperkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Winning 11 4 on PS1 - I think that's ISS Pro Evolution in Europe - I liked this game - were there many differences between the European and Japanese release of this game?
As Dastardly said already there was the Japanese commentary which you could enjoy without understanding the language... much better than the super boring European languages version.

The game also had the J-League championship and, if I remember correctly, in the beginning they were not in sync with the western releases (a few months before), it meant that on the latest version you had something different about the gameplay, not simply the translation or Japanese leagues, so you couldn't simply match a Winning Eleven version to a PES one.

I don't know why we were playing the Winning 11 version back in Italy, but it was very popular and spread like a virus.
I still remember that in one of the latest versions (so could have been PS1 or PS2) a friend of mine, who couldn't understand Japanese (like most of the Italians!), translated all the names of the main teams' players listening to the spoken presentation at the beginning of the game, a hero!
Old 28 March 2010, 14:28   #32
fc.studio
Cat lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Goal!

Thread closed!

I agree!
I like start/stop with/without ball, acceleration and decelaration of players, vertical/horizontal and zoomed in/out of the pitch.
Old 28 March 2010, 15:01   #33
Specksynder

Sensible Soccer v1.1
Old 28 March 2010, 22:04   #34
Amiga1992

Sensible World Of Soccer and Pro Evolution Soccer 2008
Old 28 March 2010, 22:21   #35
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Played Fifa 09 on the Xbox 360 on-line tonight - I think this is excellent!
Old 28 March 2010, 22:27   #36
StarEye
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkis21 View Post
In the Amiga version of Goal!, if you make a parallel pass inside the penalty box, all you have to do is repeatedly press the fire button and the recepient will score every time. I reckon that's what StarEye means.
Also, if my memory is correct, when you run straight at goal and shoot, the player automatically aims the ball into one of the corners sometimes.

Either way, the game felt like it was holding my hand with the shooting mechanics. I didn't really feel like I was in full control. I also don't like the way the players turn, even though it's kind of realistic.
Old 29 March 2010, 00:27   #37
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

I used to play Goal! heaps (started with 1st Kick Off on Atari ST); could never get into SWOS and the like. Seemed soulless, or something. It didn't play like football.
Old 29 March 2010, 05:11   #38
EreWeGo

SWOS > Goal, Kickoff

Love this article:

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/koff.htm

Seriously though, it's all personal choice, and even though SWOS is my favourite, I still love playing Goal and the KO series, and I'll take any of them over some of the latest incarnations of football games!
Old 29 March 2010, 10:07   #39
StarEye
Zone Friend

That article reads like a rant at NeoGaf . His arrogance shines through still, but the facts are facts. I don't think KO2 is shit, however, it's a great, no an excellent game. I think the reason it doesn't reach the sales and popularity of Sensible Soccer or SWOS is because those are so much more accessable and easy to play. The gameplay feels so natural and floats so well that it doesn't really take that much practice to get a hang of it.
Old 01 April 2010, 22:54   #40
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Playing Sega's Virtual Striker 3 Version 2002 on the Gamecube

Great arcade football game - not for the purist though!

Up the Gunners for last night BTW!!