English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 22 February 2004, 18:40   #1
Konrad

Workbench 3.9 icon colors

I just installed Workbench 3.9 for use with WinUAE. I didn't create a hardfile, I just use a directory on my harddisk.

The installation was successful, everything works fine. My problem is, that some Icons just appear with 4 colors. Others are ok. I use Picasso96, but it happens also in the standart PAL modes. Here's a screenshot. So what's the problem ? Are some filenames messed up because of using a drawer on my harddrive instead of using a hardfile ? Or did I miss something ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	6443  
Old 22 February 2004, 18:51   #2
abelthorne

Have you tried to install Boing Bag #1 and #2 - Amiga name for Service Packs - (they may correct bugs in the icon library) ?
Old 22 February 2004, 19:45   #3
thomas

Stupid user error. Why do you think the option "create emergency disk" is the topmost ?

Icons are not correctly copied when running OS3.1. You have to boot 3.9 first and then install it.

So to cut it short, just install it again on top of what you have now. Boingbags do not help, they have to be installed afterwards.

BTW, why did you install 3.1 first ? You can boot WinUAE from the CD and directly run the installation from it, would have saved you much work. http://home.t-online.de/home/thomas-...ulator.html#21
Old 23 February 2004, 15:26   #4
Konrad

I thought this option is more likely recommended than required .

However I don't quite understand why the installation works fine after creating this emergency disk ? My old Workbench setup had all drivers installed, newicons, picasso96, cdrom drivers, so I thought there wouldn't occur any errors. What is it that isn't copied correctly, the tooltypes of the icons or what ?

Quote:
BTW, why did you install 3.1 first
I still had this setup, just used it to boot and install. I created a new folder on my harddisk for the 3.9 wb.

However, it works fine now. Thanks for the "hint" Thomas .
Old 23 February 2004, 15:57   #5
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Are you saying that a 3.9 install from 3.1 never works? That kind of makes the upgrade point of it completely useless.
Old 23 February 2004, 23:59   #6
thomas

Quote:
I thought this option is more likely recommended than required
The german installer says "unbedingt zuerst erstellen". Do you really call this a recommendation ?

Quote:
Are you saying that a 3.9 install from 3.1 never works? That kind of makes the upgrade point of it completely useless.
I do not have an update option for 3.1. The options are "update over OS3.5" and "full install over 3.0". As 3.5 already has colorful icons you can directly start the update. For 3.0 and 3.1 you first need to boot from the emergency disk in order to activate the new icon.library, then you can use the full installation. Another way is to install it twice. Just like OS3.5: first a pre-installation and then the real installation.
Old 24 February 2004, 00:04   #7
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Well, I installed 3.9 over the top of 3.1 earlier while running the 3.1 OS, and 3.9 installed fine (full colour icons etc).

The option I had was "Install AmigaOS3.9 with Boingbag 1" and it mentioned something about from scratch or upgrading a current install.

Anyway it installed fine, so it can't "have" to be done from an emergency disk. It installed itself, told me I have to restart for it to take affect, I restarted and I was sat in 3.9.
Old 24 February 2004, 11:41   #8
thomas

As you can see from the "with boingbag 1" you have a later version of the CD. When installing from the first series CD, icons will not be copied correctly under 3.1.
Old 24 February 2004, 17:53   #9
jrom
Wannabe asm coder ;)

Quote:
Originally posted by thomas
http://home.t-online.de/home/thomas-...ulator.html#21
Is there an english version of this url available somewhere?
Old 11 March 2004, 15:43   #10
thomas

Quote:
Originally posted by jrom
Is there an english version of this url available somewhere?
http://home.t-online.de/home/thomas-rapp/os39uae.html
Old 11 March 2004, 17:23   #11
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thomas
When installing from the first series CD, icons will not be copied correctly under 3.1.
Sorry, but that simply does not apply to real Amigas! I recently installed 3.9 over 3.1 on my A4000 and did the same on my A4000T and an A1200 when 3.9 first came out. On real Amiga hardware, all that should be required for coloricons to take effect after 3.9 is installed over a previous 3.0/3.1 set-up is a reboot. If something different is happening under UAE and you had to use your emergency disk to resolve the problem, then that is not normal behaviour.