English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 January 2022, 22:04   #1
Python1

Non-Amiga games that should have been Amiga games

In your book, what games should have been Amiga games but have not been? Note that I didn't say "have never been" because I still have hope of late conversions :-)

From 1993, the progressive decline of the Amiga games market began and more and more games weren't released on the Amiga, although technically it would have been entirely possible.

I will name only one game at this stage, which represents for me the quintessence of the non-Amiga game which should have existed on the Amiga: Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament that was released for the Mega Drive in November 1994 and in 1995-1996 on other systems: [ Show youtube player ].

According to Wikipedia, "most of the background graphics were produced by Mark Neesam, using an Amiga 500" and "an Amiga version was also planned": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_...rbo_Tournament.

In case someone someday is going to port it to the Amiga, an updated version called Micro Machines: Turbo Tournament '96 was released for the Mega Drive in October 1995: [ Show youtube player ]. This version is the one to be considered for an Amiga port of Micro Machines 2.

Finally, there was also Micro Machines: Military that came out one year later (October 1996) for the Mega Drive: [ Show youtube player ].

And for you, what is your model of the non-Amiga game which should have been an Amiga game? You can also mention earlier games that never saw the light of day on the Amiga.
Old 19 January 2022, 23:14   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Definitely Prehistorik 2. It is a pretty oddball PC game which to me looks more like it started out as an A1200 title but because of the decline they just skipped the Amiga. The fact that it has digitized music where quite a lot of PC titles at the time had synthesized tunes makes it all the more suspicious.

Supercars International perhaps, it looks like it could have been an A1200 / CD32 version of Supercars 2.
Old 19 January 2022, 23:49   #3
Fiery Phoenix

I cannot believe that Project Firestart never had an Amiga conversion. C64 exclusive title and it is not like it came early on in the Amiga's life. Pretty much peak 1989 era.

It is great on the C64, just think the Amiga version would have lifted it even higher (then again not many 64 to Amiga conversions did, i.e. Armalyte)
Old 20 January 2022, 00:29   #4
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Rayman I think could have had a good Amiga version. Oids with Amiga SFX/Music. And many shoot em ups that the consoles had eg Truxton.

They didn't have to be exact copies but I think good versions could have been made.

And Outrun, I don't count the version we got as a version of the arcade machine...
Old 20 January 2022, 05:10   #5
Valken

EoB 3 and Lands of the Lore for AGA machines... Yes, I dream that the Amiga lived on and had all those great SVGA 256 colors 8 bit graphics, with 16 channel 16-bit audio games all running at 50/60 Hz..
Old 20 January 2022, 09:49   #6
jurassicman

I always regret the fact that the developers didn't make an Amiga version of Prince of Persia 2 and The Lost Vikings 2.
And the Dos Game that I like the most, Death Rally, I think would have been made for A1200 without difficulty (I just guess not having programming skills but it doesn't seem to me too "demanding" in terms of requests).
Old 20 January 2022, 10:28   #7
Gordon
Settler

Theme Hospital
Old 20 January 2022, 10:49   #8
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Probably Bitmap Brothers' "Z". Again a title that has "AMIGA!" written all over it which is not strange considering the source.
Old 20 January 2022, 11:46   #9
Daedalus

There was talk of an Amiga port of Z (possibly by ClickBoom?) back in the day. It would have needed an upgraded Amiga at the time, probably would have been an AGA/RTG game, but I don't think anything came of it in the end.
Old 20 January 2022, 11:53   #10
stevelord

I always thought Earthworm Jim should've had an Amiga port. Would've made for a great AGA game.
Old 20 January 2022, 12:12   #11
Gzegzolka

Raptor by Apoge
Prehistorik 2 by Titus (it was even previewed in press as Amiga game)

fun thing is I remember similar topic on EAB and some games I posted were actually ported to Amiga like Arctic Moves.
Old 20 January 2022, 12:15   #12
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelord View Post
I always thought Earthworm Jim should've had an Amiga port. Would've made for a great AGA game.
Don't know if that would have been feasible though given how little optimisation effort went into the DOS PC port. The main target was consoles for that one, clearly.

I want to note that I won't list games from Apogee or Epic Megagames here. It is simply not realistic to claim that there should have been Amiga ports given that those companies simply never even seemed to have considered to target the platform. They were PC junkies.
Old 20 January 2022, 12:51   #13
Aardvark

S.C.Out (1992) Mac & DOS is the most Amiga-like non-Amiga game i've seen.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 20 January 2022, 13:05   #14
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Python1 View Post
In your book, what games should have been Amiga games but have not been? Note that I didn't say "have never been" because I still have hope of late conversions :-)

From 1993, the progressive decline of the Amiga games market began and more and more games weren't released on the Amiga, although technically it would have been entirely possible.

I will name only one game at this stage, which represents for me the quintessence of the non-Amiga game which should have existed on the Amiga: Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament that was released for the Mega Drive in November 1994 and in 1995-1996 on other systems: [ Show youtube player ].

According to Wikipedia, "most of the background graphics were produced by Mark Neesam, using an Amiga 500" and "an Amiga version was also planned": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_...rbo_Tournament.

In case someone someday is going to port it to the Amiga, an updated version called Micro Machines: Turbo Tournament '96 was released for the Mega Drive in October 1995: [ Show youtube player ]. This version is the one to be considered for an Amiga port of Micro Machines 2.

Finally, there was also Micro Machines: Military that came out one year later (October 1996) for the Mega Drive: [ Show youtube player ].

And for you, what is your model of the non-Amiga game which should have been an Amiga game? You can also mention earlier games that never saw the light of day on the Amiga.
Yes i was so disappointed to see that Micro Machines 2 was not released on Amiga..... shame. It was so fun to play !
Old 20 January 2022, 13:13   #15
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I want to note that I won't list games from Apogee or Epic Megagames here. It is simply not realistic to claim that there should have been Amiga ports given that those companies simply never even seemed to have considered to target the platform. They were PC junkies.
These companies relied on income from the shareware model. This worked well because of the massive PC user base, so even if 100 people didn't chip in, the one who did would be enough. And in Amiga world we already had a somewhat different form of sharing the wares...
Old 20 January 2022, 14:46   #16
grond

I think we had a similar thread before. My no1 example for a game that would have been perfectly possible on 90s standard Amigas was "Alone in the Dark". Static graphics with a low number of flat-shaded polygons.
Old 20 January 2022, 14:46   #17
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
These companies relied on income from the shareware model. This worked well because of the massive PC user base, so even if 100 people didn't chip in, the one who did would be enough. And in Amiga world we already had a somewhat different form of sharing the wares...
To be fair, I had about 10 boxed Amiga games during the period I still used it actively for every boxed game my PC owning friends had when they started seriously playing PC games in the mid/late '90s. Not that I had that many games in box form, they just had even less

Anyway, PC's also had tons of 'shared wares', but the PC had so many users that the same logic still applies (i.e. even though only very few people bought games there were so many more PC users that it simply mattered last).
Old 20 January 2022, 14:57   #18
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Master of Orion

Master of Magic

Terror from the Deep

Sim and Max Hit the Road

Days of the Tentacle

The Dig
Old 20 January 2022, 15:21   #19
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Master of Orion

Master of Magic

Terror from the Deep

Sim and Max Hit the Road

Days of the Tentacle

The Dig
Oh, I agree so much. Those games should be doable by a HDD based A1200 and we missed out a lot by not having them. Great games, I still play them from time to time.
Old 20 January 2022, 15:44   #20
sneckburger

Heart of Darkness Covered before

I remember seeing The Neverhood run on a basic PC when I still had an Amiga.
Maybe a CD32 FMV port would be possible?
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by sneckburger; 20 January 2022 at 15:58.