English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 10 April 2002, 01:30   #1
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Evil grin Games that were just TOO hard!

Did anyone ever manage to complete Shadow of the Beast 2 WITHOUT the Ten Pints cheat? I thought it was hard enough even WITH the cheat activated!!
Also The end of Cadavers level 4 gave me headaches for months, and it haunts me to this day
I consider myself reasonably good at games (I should be by now) but some games were just ridiculously difficult.

What games haunt you to this day?
Maybe this thread could be used for sharing end of game pics for those who never quite made it.
Old 10 April 2002, 03:38   #2
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Post Impossible Games

Akira
Carcharodon (White Sharks)
Operation Wolf
Operation Thunderbolt
Project X
Screaming Wings
Shadow of the Beast 2
Old 10 April 2002, 06:07   #3
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I know a guy who claims to have finished all Beast games without cheating.

I agree Shadow of the Beast 2 is extremely hard indeed ..

I've finished Operation Wolf on MSX without cheat .. does that count?

I find Project X to be stupidly hard .. Battle Squadron is a fav game of mine, that I also find to be incredibly hard...

Risky Woods is very hard too, as most spanish games.. Army Moves , Navy Moves ...
Old 10 April 2002, 14:03   #4
RetroMan

I agree with Shatterhand, Operation Wolf wasn´t that hard, I completed it on Amiga on 2 or 3 evenings What about Lost Patrol ??? I think it´s one of the hardest games on Amiga ever ....
Old 10 April 2002, 14:15   #5
oldpx

Some games are just hard to solve even though they are not action games. Dungeon Master 2 had some hard puzzles, and it was usually hard to guess what to do next in Ishar games. None were TOO hard though.

Old 10 April 2002, 14:17   #6
Zeewolf

Definitely Lost Patrol, I agree with Retroman on that one, kept dying of starvation, got no where in the game, did anyone actually ever complete this?

Old 10 April 2002, 14:22   #7
Big-Byte
Long time member

Yolanda..

I never ever got off the first level.. but my mate completed it.
Old 10 April 2002, 14:44   #8
Drake1009

Cloud kingdoms was somewhat hard to complete in the time limit given.
Old 10 April 2002, 16:53   #9
Frog

Side Arms was a really hard game or should i say impossible at least on Atari.

Project X and Battle Squadron are both possible to finish without any cheat. It's the same for Apidya. They're just some good shoot'em up
Old 10 April 2002, 19:23   #10
bgbennyboy

Aha, this gives me the chance to air my favourite bugbear - Wizkid

The game itself wasnt too hard but for gods sake getting all the kittens is IMPOSSIBLE.

The amount of times ive been to the final island only to stop just short because I didnt have enough kittens is ridiculous.

I think the closest ive ever come is 1 kitten short.
Damm you wizkid, damm you.
Old 11 April 2002, 05:38   #11
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Bah BennyBoy , I told you I would look for the Solution of Wizkid for you, and I forgot .. if you don't keep me telling me those things , I'll just let them go away..

IF I DON'T FORGET AGAIN , I'll look for it to you...

Wizkid is a damn brill game , with some really wicked puzzles

Hmm.. I think Project X is nearly impossible to finish it.. I consider Battle Squadron to be a little easier, but still nearly to be imposible ...

Apidya I think it's easier (I say that without ever finish any of the three games without cheating ) , it's just a matter of mastering the levels, much like R-Type ...

Hired Guns also was incredibly hard... although it was the only RPG game of that kind I ever really dug , so maybe it was just a lack of experience ...
Old 11 April 2002, 07:07   #12
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Smile Operation Wolf

Before you all think I'm completely soft and useless at Operation Wolf, let me explain a bit further!

I never had this game on my A500 (I played the C64 version a lot and could get to level 5) but I wrote the WHDLoad version of it for my A1200.

On my 50Mhz 68030 equipped A1200, it seems to run at about double the frame rate that it should (even with some delays I added). This makes shooting the enemy extremely difficult (and the fact that the collision detection is terrible - line up a guy, hit fire and the bastard survives!). The scenes at the end of level 2 and 6 where some guy is holding a hostage and moving at breakneck speed firing the whole time are also impossibly fast imho! (Ditto for Op Thunderbolt, the final level in the 747 is honestly impossible!)

Anyway I'd like to know if anybody else here can finish either Operation Wolf or Thunderbolt on a 1200!
Old 11 April 2002, 11:14   #13
Tim Janssen

Roll eyes (sarcastic) Too many...

Extreme difficult games on Amiga? I know dozens...
Both Targhan and Colorado are the most difficult games I have ever played on the Miggy simply because one has to make it to the finish with only one live. I doubt it whether there is anyone on this world who has ever finished them without cheating. If the games' producer Silmarils just playtested the games before publishing it they would eventually become classics.
System 3's Fuzzball also becomes unplayable when encountering end-of-level bosses. This game already has a high difficulty level but the boss-encounters really turn it into an unplayable affair. They need many hits before they turn into cocoons which must be grabbed within a few seconds.
Super Cauldron by Titus is virtually unplayable because even the smallest enemies need 20 hits before they actually die. The weapon the little witch carries in this game are little stones which must be aimed correctly by holding down the firebutton.
Ocean's Smash TV cannot be finished without cheating. Too many enemies, too chaotic and not much moving space make this game my Waterloo. A horrible game which drives any sane person mad.
Old 11 April 2002, 14:43   #14
vivash

aaargh... eab killed my reply!!

That's the second time eab's destroyed my message...

I'll try again:

Firstly @bgbennyboy Wizkid is certainly not hard! It took me a while to finish, but that was because of the asteroids game at the end... If I remember right there's a little cheat on the shoot-em-up wizzball subgame thing: If you don't shoot anything they can't kill you. I think. You might have to lose a life first though.

Hard games for me are:

Body Blows (just couldn't beat the end of game boss)
Alien Breed 3D (there was one particular type of enemy that always gave me a pasting. I think it was a priest of something).

Night Breed: Iteractive Movie (I got this with my Amiga, managed to get to the Midian maze or whatever, and got lost every time, before being ripped to shreds by some fish shaped dog things).

Cannon Fodder II - maybe I'm just rubbish
Smash TV - absolutely impossible
Shadow of the Beast II - got this with my amiga too, couldn't complete with any number of pints... nice game over music though, which made dying a little more rewarding

Old 11 April 2002, 15:45   #15
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Arrow

Ok, let me start. Remember, this only applies to the NO CHEATS case, thus excluding any trainers, freezers (AR) or cheat codes!

- Blood Money - BLOODy hard, as the name suggests
- R-Type II - YES! R-Type *is* pretty difficult without cheating in later stages, this also applies to Menace!
- Agony! OMG ... I always feel so happy when I need the third disk, this means I've already come through a lot of pain ..
Agony is unfair: if you lose all your weapon power because you die, having to start with the least powerful single-shot, you CANNOT even make it to the point where the third disk is requested due to the extremely high playing speed.
- Midnight Resistance - Very hard to get to the end.
- ZOOL II - Great game, but nonetheless difficult (non-linear). If you're beyond the level with the evil light bulbs and stuff, the party is about to begin!
- The Godfather - VERY difficult kill-em-all game. Difficulty increases non-linear with advanced playing level.
- Continental Circus - One of the toughest racing games. Bumping other cars is DEADLY! You would always catch fire immediately and sooner or later your car skids and crashes!
A little bit too realistic, methinks...
- DESERT STRIKE!! - OMG, these fucking NSUs with their ultra-large homing missiles, depriving you of 100s of energy units in a blink of an eye!
Honestly, I've never come beyond level 2 in this game.
Old 11 April 2002, 15:57   #16
Djay
95th User

i remember getting my A500 with Shadow of the Beast 2, i remember thinking, Jesus this game is hard, but a m8 came around and completed it (without cheating) right in front of my eyes...

Quote:
Night Breed: Iteractive Movie (I got this with my Amiga, managed to get to the Midian maze or whatever, and got lost every time, before being ripped to shreds by some fish shaped dog things).
you must have got the same pack as me!!!

although i completed them, Xenon II and Project-X were pretty tough!!!
Old 11 April 2002, 17:00   #17
Djay
95th User

Quote:
you must have got the same pack as me!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screengems.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	2166  
Old 11 April 2002, 17:05   #18
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

ooo has anyone got a pic of the Batman pack they can put in this thread? Id love to see what it looked like again. FRONT AND BACK shots would be nice
Old 11 April 2002, 18:27   #19
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Wink

@Codetapper.If you want even more of "challange" to Op Thunderbolt,then don't forget about the old "Speccy Mode" cheatmode!! I remembered,I used to have to reset the Amiga & reboot,as the chances of getting another high score again to switch the "cheat" off were pretty remote in my case!

I thought Lotus 1 was pretty unforgiving in one-player mode. Particulary by the time of the stages with the road barriers. You'd be battling to avoid brushing one when through an impossible gap a computer car threaded between the barrier & your car & you'd end up coming to a dead halt once in got in front of you- very unforgiving collision detection!

Unreal remided me a bit of the Beast games being quite tough too. A shame as the GFX on the later levels were supposed to quite nice.
Old 11 April 2002, 19:16   #20
Drake1009

I just thought of another game I found hard. Flimbo's quest. Haven't completed it without cheating, but even with unlimited lives I had to give up in the end. It was just too darn hard.