English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 02 September 2021, 17:43   #1
enigma776
Bringer of Death

Slow response in menus over time.

Hello,

For some reason winuae will slow to a crawl in its menus over time, like loading a floppy disk or just scrolling through previous disks.

So on a clean reboot its responsive and works well but then it grinds to a halt over time.

Just switching between the rom section to ram takes ages to change over. No other program does this and apart from winuae everything else runs correctly. Even winuae once running is fine until I hit F12 and it slows down.

I know that some keyboards can cause winuae itself to startup slowly (like this thread) but this all happens when its already loaded.

I have tried clearing the cache out, resetting the emulator and deleting disk history to no avail.

Does anyone else have this issue? or know of a way to solve it?
Old 24 September 2021, 21:32   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Sorry, late answer..

No one else has reported this kind of problem. Do you have any 3rd party desktop replacements or some other similar utilities? WinUAE GUI uses plain Windows GUI elements, there should not be anything special.

It sounds strange.

Only possible reason is I can think of is GDI handle leak. Check Windows manager Performance page, does Handles value keep increasing slowly before WinUAE GUI becomes slow?

(Windows version?)
Old 25 September 2021, 10:36   #3
Viceroy

...not the same issue; but if I start WinUAE at the start of the DD collection and then scroll through each game looking at boxart, by a bit over halfway the images stop displaying.

As Toni says, probably a memory leak.
Old 25 September 2021, 14:22   #4
enigma776
Bringer of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Sorry, late answer..

No one else has reported this kind of problem. Do you have any 3rd party desktop replacements or some other similar utilities? WinUAE GUI uses plain Windows GUI elements, there should not be anything special.

It sounds strange.

Only possible reason is I can think of is GDI handle leak. Check Windows manager Performance page, does Handles value keep increasing slowly before WinUAE GUI becomes slow?

(Windows version?)
The handles increase alright. So quite possibly a leak somewhere.
Old 25 September 2021, 18:31   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma776 View Post
The handles increase alright. So quite possibly a leak somewhere.
Can you narrow it down to some specific sub panel or does it happen with all panels? (To rule out Configurations panel, temporarily enable quickstart mode)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viceroy View Post
...not the same issue; but if I start WinUAE at the start of the DD collection and then scroll through each game looking at boxart, by a bit over halfway the images stop displaying.
Original author of this package has disappeared which makes this sort of unsupported and very low priority... This was very special case feature.
Old 25 September 2021, 18:47   #6
enigma776
Bringer of Death

Quote:
Can you narrow it down to some specific sub panel or does it happen with all panels? (To rule out Configurations panel, temporarily enable quickstart mode)

Original author of this package has disappeared which makes this sort of unsupported and very low priority... This was very special case feature.
Its all panels, just switching between them take 3 or 4 seconds which don't sound very long but its usually instant.
Old 28 September 2021, 20:44   #7
Viceroy

Hi Toni,

I understand if you say this is low priority, but if you could take a look sometime.

Regarding DamienD, he hasn’t disappeared, he was banned for over 6 months. I know he still reads EAB threads from time to time.

Also, he is still working on his collection; and there are over 1,500 people that use this.
Old 29 September 2021, 01:23   #8
enigma776
Bringer of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viceroy View Post
Hi Toni,

I understand if you say this is low priority, but if you could take a look sometime.

Regarding DamienD, he hasn’t disappeared, he was banned for over 6 months. I know he still reads EAB threads from time to time.

Also, he is still working on his collection; and there are over 1,500 people that use this.
Me included.
Old 02 October 2021, 17:21   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

"Box art" window filehandle leak is fixed in next beta.
Old 23 August 2022, 13:42   #10
enigma776
Bringer of Death

Just thought I would update, I have since got a whole new computer with the following specs, I9-10850k 32GB of ram and a RTX2080Ti but still encounter slow menu reaction times after a while. Now I know its not due to the lack of grunt compared to my old Phenom II system. Just wondering if you had time to take a look at it or if you have found the issue.
Old 19 September 2022, 08:17   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

More information needed. Need to narrow it down if it specific to some panel or whole UI.

For example switch multiple times between two panels and check if problem appears (also check GDI handle keeps increasing), or if it always happen when resizing with any panel open etc.
Old 19 September 2022, 10:27   #12
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Regarding the title of this thread, I have the same issue.
I always thought that it was due to my PC being from last decade () or maybe having less memory than others WinUAE users. But seems not...
Will update my exe and check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma776 View Post
Me included.
+1
Old 19 September 2022, 13:18   #13
enigma776
Bringer of Death

Quote:
More information needed. Need to narrow it down if it specific to some panel or whole UI.

For example switch multiple times between two panels and check if problem appears (also check GDI handle keeps increasing), or if it always happen when resizing with any panel open etc.
Its the whole GUI, so flicking from say configs to rom or ram to rtg takes a couple of seconds long enough to notice it's not a smooth transition. Selecting a floppy disk image would take between 4 and 5 seconds and then you can visibly see the refresh of the other floppy drives. Using GDIview from Nirsoft it is using 111 handles but does not increase. Its just odd that it happens.

Made a video [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by enigma776; 19 September 2022 at 14:24.
Old 19 September 2022, 14:47   #14
Rotareneg

Open the task manager and check if WinUAE or any other task spikes in CPU usage when that's happening.
Old 19 September 2022, 14:52   #15
enigma776
Bringer of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotareneg View Post
Open the task manager and check if WinUAE or any other task spikes in CPU usage when that's happening.
Funny should say that, yeah there is quite a spike when selecting a floppy image if I use the drop down menu, nothing is I use the cursor keys to scroll through. It maybe just the floppy section giving me grief with knock effects to the rest of the gui maybe?