English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 15 July 2005, 03:47   #61
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Cool Lifes Little Way

whats better... EMU or REAL

hmm..... i have thought upon this for a day or so now....

and I have come to a startling discovery.....

its amiga.....

its workbench.....

I can play my ProjectX/UFO/Perihelion

I can run my PPaint, DPaint and when i find the
images perhaps Imagine3.5...

I can Storm C into the wee little hours....

Emu V's Orginal....

Oh its ALL GOOD BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

after reading the posts a good and fair comment seems resonate along the thread and it comes from those that had Amiga's in the day and those that didn't.... whereby the latter not specificaly find any loss to the *experience* of the amiga....

There was a couple of good points, EMU has a tendency to crash more.. or is it i expect more of it ?? naaa it crashes... my amiga took way too much abuse... lol it would be compiling a 40 document coding project while rendering multiple sequential background seens in stupid high rez. and still it kept b*atching for more!!!!

There was another common feel i have noticed....

Computer character... and to be honest... i had almsot forgotten the amiga's unitl the EMU came my way.... for those that didn`t have the experience of swapping REAL disks and solding with shakey hand onto tp1 and tp0 just for a reset switch.... i can see perhaps why theres no loss for them....

Now i want to get into my workshop/shed and get all my miggy's back in action!!!! hmm lets see what the weathers like first me thinks....

I Would say EMU is better in areas compared to the REAL because of the following

1: a lot more people can share the *experience* although slightly
limmited
2: a larger and some what enthused community can be formed thus
collectively instigate the needs and wants for the platform as a
whole
3: Cheaper than perchasing and setting up the original.

However this being said I belive the EMU falls short upon the follwing

1: Die Hard commitment... Owning an original means just that..
2: The Tangible and satisfying clunk and wirrr of the floppy disk...
.... damn thats a homely sound.....
3: The Tangible box that is YOUR AMIGA

this biggest problem with EMU is that its software... and truth is most peeeps that are new to the Amiga EMU see it as just that software... and not the SENSI SOCCER THRASHING, TURBO GOAL DESTROYING APACHE GUNSHIP ANIHILATING, BAB5 RENDERING platform we shared with our friends and family, raved about at school or work etc.

the REAL is more than just a platform... for a lot of us Die-Harders it was a way of life.... only the cool kids had Amiga's... the rest had ST's.
(i had both lol.. long story... gotta love dixons....)

from 1989 to 1997 the domination of MY platfrom, my community... dare i say it... my amiga-naughts brothers and sisters united, reigned supreme....

I Learned German, French and Dutch, not from school.... oh no.... but from the Demo Scene Bay!!!!..

And i think its that... being part of what became somethin so big (WORLD DOMINATING ) dispite cheap and nasty consoles and the goss mis-managment of CBM, Escom and the such like that proves to me atleast the Amiga experience was more the comunity than the computer, the computer was the HAM24 IFF campfire we all gathered arround, bantered, played and comunicated.....

*phew... might have to shed a tear..... *

Will say though..... at a linux club (and no they dont all wear those tank tops and beards like they have on the BBC open university... well some do...) but they have that same said community..... and its thriving... and getting bigger.....

food for thought me thinks....

OPEN SOURCE WorkBench.......... ???? if amiga release the wrights.... develop it for new hardware..... imagine it......

the power of *NIX and the ease of use of Workbench with todays processing and multimedia power........ my dreams would be answered.......
Old 07 August 2005, 15:34   #62
Phantomz

I use WinUAE because its easier to mess about with amiga software on my PC, rather than get out one of my old amigas from the cupboard.

My PC is using all my desk space, so the amiga as to sit on the floor in front of the tv, this is ok from time to time, but can't be done all the time.

WinUAE might not feel the same, but it does the job well
Old 25 September 2005, 21:37   #63
BarrySWE
Zone Friend

Real Amiga, Amiga software on PEZE , noway!!!
Old 27 September 2005, 15:25   #64
Sid

I've got a real Amiga 500+ (and considering buying an Amiga 1200 witrh Hard Drive)

... I'd like to emulate so I can play games on my laptop... more convenient.
But not sure if it is as good as the Real Thing?
Old 27 September 2005, 16:08   #65
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

emu: for me, Winuae is good for the old A500 stuff I can't play on my real A500 anymore. Because 1: the A500 is in Norway while I'm in England and 2: because the acc.card for the A500 has 2 or 3 broken pins (that should've been stuck down into the CPU socket) so it won't work. and the original 68000 is long time dead. Miss it? of course.

my Real Amiga (well, the one I have up and running.....needs a new accelerator, though) is the A1200 my finace told me to set up with the 14" TV in our bedroom....it'll be moved in here when I get the new acc and the rest of her former flatmate's stuff is out.

So untill then, I use WinUAE. It's FAST when working Imagine, Real3D and Lightwave.....I've never seen so fast a 68kMac as I do on the emulated Amiga. And it's Fast. did I mention, it's fast? :look

Another good thing with *UAE, I ahve all my floppies in zipped ADF. + most of the TOSEC games, Kickstarts, and applications. Itæs the application part of WinUAE that is appealing to me, not the actual gaming. For I have my real Amiga......and now matter how I set up the soundemulation in WinUAE, the sound is that teeny little bit crisper and more "real" on the Amiga.

Or maybe I'm just a strange person
Old 28 September 2005, 09:13   #66
Slayer
Amiga Member

I brought my Amiga setup in 1986 and today here I am still with an Amiga setup...

I can't even relate to this conversation, I've never used anything else let alone an Emulator...

Alot of you are too young, alot of you like getting something for nothing and alot of you who actually owned an Amiga don't live it anymore...

Why do people start these types of threads, the real Amiga users know who they are and everyone else belongs to a personal understanding of there own but they know its just
bullshit...

I say MOVE ON... you gave it UP or never had it in the first place, face the phucking reality!

You are NOT an Amiga User!

don't feel alone, there are thousands of you just like there are thousands of divorced people in the world!

let it go Indiana... heh
Old 28 September 2005, 09:56   #67
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Me likes the real thing, and i don't use an emulator. But emulators are not a bad thing, i just don't like to use them. I prefer a real Amiga that i've personally set up with great deal of sweat, pain, misery and headache . The reward for that is a feeling that setting up an emu can never be
Old 28 September 2005, 11:42   #68
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

WinUAE is extremely flexible as many ppl have said, but awesome thought it is it still cannot emulate everything exactly. For me it is more practical to use WinUAE for the many things it can emulate, and to test certain games in certain configs, but I don't get the same "feel" for games made to run on particular hardware because it is not perfect.

For example when I run Eye of the Beholder I or II, it runs too fast compared with the real amiga floppy drive and the intro sequence pictures and music become out of sync, detracting from the intros (they run fine on real A1000 but not on real A1200). Also the sound from the real amiga is better (though this could be the PC's soundcard).
Old 28 September 2005, 11:44   #69
lopos2000
Zone Friend

I agree with Bamiga2002. Nothing beats a real Amiga. Use WinUae for testing only.
Old 28 September 2005, 16:15   #70
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Although i use my classics daily, also use winuae, because it's the faster 68k amiga ever.
Old 29 September 2005, 06:13   #71
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Emulaters are fine if you don't have the original hardware or the original game, other then that stick with the real deal. I have every Atari 2600 title on a CD that I can play on my Sega Dreamcast, but the games are not the same without the correct joystick or paddles.
Old 20 November 2005, 21:14   #72
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
I mainly emulate everything because of space issue's! I just havent got the room for everything setup nicely

Also I love the fact you can take a microshaft pc and have it running amiga stuff lol I see it as sticking the finger up at bill gates
Old 04 December 2005, 16:44   #73
SWOS

well in my opinion i just think that nothing beats the original 'real' Amiga! no matter what type of PC or Mac any1 has. coz even if u get the best Amiga joystick and connect it to ur pc , ur will still have a smaller screen than a normal TV and emulation speeds r different from one pc to another so its hard to get the 100% correct speed of the original..
Old 05 December 2005, 16:43   #74
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Emulating is not 100% I know but back along I decided to put winuae on our HTPC computer which is connected to a 100hz 30" widescreen tv, I was extremely happy with the results
Old 08 December 2005, 22:27   #75
PiCiJi

I prefer the emulated Amiga.

Why
- filter make the game look better than TV
- I can use sps, don't like whd so much
- don't need hundreds of disks
- with savestates i can finish games, that i can't on real Amiga

I am intrested in so much video games for various systems. For me hardware is only a necessary evil.
Old 09 December 2005, 00:02   #76
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
winuae is great if your using processor intensive apps, but for games a real amiga comes out top. on a real amiga the game always runs at correct speed and no random gfx bugs. Tv looks far better then upscaled via the emulation. I mainly play the pinball games are just awful under uae due to the rather bad scrolling which is smooth and precise on the real machine. That doesnt mean I dont use uae for games..just that a real amiga is the best way to experience them as they were ment to be which probably goes for any emulated system.

Last edited by Mad-Matt; 09 December 2005 at 00:14.
Old 09 December 2005, 12:49   #77
PiCiJi

I am talking about A500 emulation.

@Mad-Matt: maybe you haven't properly set the sync rate of your monitor and Winuae. Games in Winuae scrolls smooth. I can't see any differences to my real machine.I don't like the pixel TV look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOS
emulation speeds r different from one pc to another so its hard to get the 100% correct speed of the original..
a faster PC than neccessary for 100% don't increase the emulated speed. It's more a matter of the the selected sync rate.

Last edited by PiCiJi; 09 December 2005 at 13:25.
Old 09 December 2005, 14:44   #78
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
hmm well since very few monitors run at real 50mhz and games run to fast forced at 60. The emulation has to make a comprimise somewhere(60mhz mode vsync with 50mhz games. Im not sure what the pixel tv look is, as the tv displays the correct resolution. its the scaling in emulation that adds out of place pixels.
Old 09 December 2005, 15:47   #79
PiCiJi

a pal TV display 720x576 pixel in 50 Hz. So my monitor is set up with the same parameters. speed and scrolling are like a real TV. If my monitor couldn't display 50 Hz, so that i must force him to display 50 Hz vsync but in reality the monitor display 60 Hz or more, I wouldn't have much fun in emulation.

In my opinion A500 emulation in Winuae is nearly perfect.
Old 09 December 2005, 16:50   #80
woody57

I think Mad Matt is entitled to express his opinion just as much as you are PiCiJi

This whole thread is about each contributors opinion therefore it's often more to do with "Feel" than facts & figures.

While it's a good thing to offer solutions to users problems achieving a better EMU experience, you will NEVER change hardline opinion over VIRTUAL vs REAL as a physical user experience....otherwise why should it be such an issue to emulate disk drive sounds ? & other "nuisance" charectoristics for some users