English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 June 2023, 09:46   #181
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
you should try to listen to "in game" musics. Close your eyes and listen one an the other. Amiga version has good quality, Mega Drive no. But in game musics on Mega Drive is better, dinamic, give rithm to the action. Amiga is a sound that start from A to B and then repeat at libitum.
Each to their own, but I would argue the other way around I never got why people would prefer 'beepy' sounds over (even low quality) sampled sounds. Dynamic and rhythm ingame? How about some Shadow of the Beast then: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 09 June 2023, 12:18   #182
Aulapatchuc

I like chip sound music and have played to my hears, literally thousands of musics from SID collections, AY, Pokey, etc and like the vast majority of them. But for me the FM sound chip of the Megadrive sounds strange and I cannot engage on the musics of the console. That's why I bought a Snes over a Megadrive back in those days I compared the two in the shop and was the sound that put me away from the console.

With this I'm not saying that don't exist good tunes on the Megadrive, but the sound!
Old 09 June 2023, 12:39   #183
Seiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post

Anyway if if you take in game music of Battle Squadron, Beast 2 or Cool Spot or Aladdin (these 2 last being Megadrive first games), the Amiga version doesn't seems at all souless in comparison but miles better.
i don't said all music Amiga games are bad in comparison with Mega Drive. I said some Amiga games give delusion in comparison: Turrican 3 and Out Run music help to great enhance gameplay.
Amiga has the best instrument quality also today, but if you heard better you notice 2 things: usually main tunes are very low volume while accompaniment are very high volume and sometime i have difficult to understand what a music want to say.

Generally main tuens should high volume because is the theme of the game, while accompantims should be low volume. Mega Drive for example is this case, but many other consoles, also PC and also ATari ST made the same.

Why in many Amiga games there is so high volume accompaniment sound?

Me too when i play my music keyboard i love high accompaniment volume, but someone ask me: "low volume, i don't understand the main tune, the melodie, the theme". And i have the same sensation when i listen to many Amiga games musics.
Amiga play very well "Styles" with very high volume, but "voices" not always so good and often is very low volume.

Last edited by Seiya; 09 June 2023 at 12:46.
Old 09 June 2023, 12:48   #184
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I never got why people would prefer 'beepy' sounds over (even low quality) sampled sounds.
For the same reason I get really happy when I hear 80's music.

T'was the decade I was born in, and computers bleeped a lot. I don't prefer it, I just don't treat it as something lesser.
Old 09 June 2023, 12:54   #185
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

on the Paula vs MD soundchip debate:

My problem with the MD is, that every game sounds a bit the same.
As shown here:
[ Show youtube player ]

Paula can sound however you want it to sound.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 09 June 2023, 15:16   #186
touko

Quote:
I'm not sure that music were created for the MD and then redone for the Amiga. The game sure was but considering Huelsbeck works on the Amiga I'm not sure that the MD music was the original one in that case.
I confirm, the game was created on Md first, and ported on the amiga .All musics except the intro was adapted from the MD version, this is why the amiga musics are on par with MD ones .

Quote:
Anyway, as much I like the MD music, I still prefer the Amiga one. (And the Amiga T3 version is a masterpiece. Everything fits in one disk and it works on a 512kb Amiga. The MD version is maybe the original one and a bit better, the Amiga version isn't too far away considering how much they have limited the target hardware).
I'am not saying that Md musics are shity, you also have some master pieces on it like this one for exemple :
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 09 June 2023, 16:19   #187
sokolovic

Yep. I know. I was just saying that considering Huelsbeck and Factor 5 works on the Amiga, I was pretty sure that the Amiga version of Turrican 3 beneficied from a kind expertise/attention. Not a quick and dirty port.
I still can't believe that this game run on a 1985 A1000 with just 512Kb and fits on one disk. This fact is rarely mentionned when comparing both versions. And it may prove that an A1200 specific version would have been much better, at least on par with the original MD one.
Old 09 June 2023, 22:16   #188
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Erm, in which way did the Amiga beat the Megadrive? Well, it was an actual computer you could do useful things with instead of an entertainment device being for playing games only.
Old 10 June 2023, 04:29   #189
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
Erm, in which way did the Amiga beat the Megadrive? Well, it was an actual computer you could do useful things with instead of an entertainment device being for playing games only.
Exactly.

A little history. In 1983 Sega released the SC-3000 home computer, which was only sold in Japan, Australia, New Zealand, France, Italy and Finland. It had a Z80 CPU and Texas Instruments TMS9928 video display processor with 16K video RAM (same as MSX). BASIC was supplied on a cartridge which included 16k or 32k RAM. The sound chip was a Ti SN76489 (same as used in the BBC micro). It had 2 joystick ports, composite video, serial printer and cassette ports. It was very easy to program with the full-screen editor and separate cursor keys, and hex numbers for easy entry of graphics and machine code. In New Zealand it only cost NZ$399, $100 cheaper than a 16k ZX Spectrum.

At the same time Sega released the SG-1000, which was the same hardware except without the keyboard etc., made as cheaply as possible with a nasty hardwired joystick. Understandably it was a poor seller compared to the full computer.

The second version of the SC-3000 replaced the rubber keys with a 'hard' keyboard, and a 'Super Control Station' expansion was produced for it with a 3" disk drive and extra ports.

Things were looking good, then Sega dropped the computer line and just produced the slightly updated SG-1000 II, followed by the Sega Master System. At this point interest from hobbyists evaporated.

Sega could have competed against other home computer makers by marketing the SC-3000 more widely, but instead they chose to only make dumb consoles for dumb users. One could argue that this was a winning strategy. However they lost their loyal computer users who were forced onto other platforms such as Sinclair, Amstrad or Commodore. Many of us would not touch a Sega product after that.
Old 10 June 2023, 11:36   #190
touko

Quote:
I was pretty sure that the Amiga version of Turrican 3 beneficied from a kind expertise/attention. Not a quick and dirty port.
The coder was competent(coder at kaiko), but alone and dead lines were straight.so the amiga version is not as good as it could have(started after the MD version, and finished before).There is an interview somewhere in the net about it .

Quote:
I still can't believe that this game run on a 1985 A1000 with just 512Kb and fits on one disk
Only 1 D7 and 512ko of RAM are needed(i had the game but i don't remember) ? are you sure about this ? If it's true, effectively it's impressive, The Md rom is 1Mo .

Last edited by touko; 10 June 2023 at 12:15.
Old 10 June 2023, 12:45   #191
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by touko View Post

Only 1 D7 and 512ko of RAM are needed(i had the game but i don't remember) ? are you sure about this ? If it's true, effectively it's impressive, The Md rom is 1Mo .
Yes it is

Check the Hol entry : https://hol.abime.net/1537

Note that pirated versions were 2 disks unlike the original.
Old 10 June 2023, 13:51   #192
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Yes it is

Noone ever does
Old 10 June 2023, 21:48   #193
Adropac2
Zone Friend

I thinks the fact a lot of people had both a console and the Amiga is because there were experiences you just couldn't get on both. I adore the Amiga and that feel you just wont get on a MD or SNES from PD games to adventures and the workbench etc, it's the environment itself that is so good but I can't play Gunstar Heroes, Thunder Force, Contra or Zelda on it
Old 10 June 2023, 22:00   #194
touko

Quote:
Yes it is

Note that pirated versions were 2 disks unlike the original.
May be that was the version i had