English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 April 2022, 21:24   #1
BusMaster

CDTV 2.35 ROM creation not working

Hello all.

I have searched for any similar questions here and not seen any, so appreciate any help offered.

Please, can someone explain how I create the 2.35 ROMs from V2.30?

I have a single ROM file created from Amiga Forever, and named it 230rom. If using this method is wrong, I have 2.30 ROMs that I suspect I could use, though would not have a clue how to merge into one file, hence reason using Amiga Forever.

I have tried various flavours of Linux (Ubantu, Xubantu, Mint) all with same problem. I try and follow the instructions stated and they all complain about repository name must be in lower case.

Make and Docker -version command indicates they are installed, but seems like such a hash to get them installed as if I am missing something, like should they be already in Linux? Really am lost on this, can someone please help, pulling my hair out with this for a week.

Thanks,
M
Old 01 April 2022, 23:07   #2
thomas

You don't need Linux or Docker or Make or anything, just bspatch which is available for Windows, too.

Unpack bspatch into a directory. Put 230.rom and 235-release-cd1000-patch.bin into the same direcory. Open a command line window, cd into the directory and enter the command as stated on the GitHub page:

bspatch 230.rom "CDTV Extended-ROM v2.35 (2021)(CDTV Land)(CDTV).rom" 235-release-cd1000-patch.bin

For some strange reason bspatch needs admin rights on Windows. But it works and afterwards you have the file "CDTV Extended-ROM v2.35 (2021)(CDTV Land)(CDTV).rom" in the directory.
Old 01 April 2022, 23:25   #3
BusMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
You don't need Linux or Docker or Make or anything, just bspatch which is available for Windows, too.

Unpack bspatch into a directory. Put 230.rom and 235-release-cd1000-patch.bin into the same direcory. Open a command line window, cd into the directory and enter the command as stated on the GitHub page:

bspatch 230.rom "CDTV Extended-ROM v2.35 (2021)(CDTV Land)(CDTV).rom" 235-release-cd1000-patch.bin

For some strange reason bspatch needs admin rights on Windows. But it works and afterwards you have the file "CDTV Extended-ROM v2.35 (2021)(CDTV Land)(CDTV).rom" in the directory.
Thanks Thomas, I have a Win XP machine here, shall find bspatch and give that a try.
Old 01 April 2022, 23:44   #4
wiz12

bspatch will make the "CDTV Extended-ROM v2.35 (2021)(CDTV Land)(CDTV).rom" for you but it won't make the u34_even.bin and u35_odd.bin which you will need to burn two physical eeproms to use in a real CDTV if that's what you're looking for too.
Old 01 April 2022, 23:45   #5
BusMaster

@wiz12, yes, just discovered this. Do I need to import this into Amiga Forever, if that can split them?

Saying that, I have got the TL866ii plus, if that has the facility?
Old 02 April 2022, 00:00   #6
wiz12

The only way I could successfully create the two .bins was by using Linux via VirtualBox on Windows. I don't think there is a way to create them using windows, I tried using eeprom hexxer but they didn't turn out right.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=109467

You can burn the .bins on a TL866II but would need to make an adapter as it doesn't support the eprom type by default.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=104517
Old 02 April 2022, 00:41   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I made mine using Windows XP. (I can't use anything newer because there are no motherboard drivers for anything later and my EPROM programmer needs an ISA slot)

BSPatch + Cartman

https://github.com/TzOk83/CartMan
Old 02 April 2022, 19:30   #8
BusMaster

Thanks so far for all your help. I tried Virtual Box with the image as per previous thread. Got further, the CDTV…ascii picture appeared, but failed as had to move the 230rom into the folder..no idea where that was considering 230rom was in the root.
Any how, tried the Eprom Hexxer by @Nightshft (thank you) and I think its done. It complained about a checksum error after but still created a Hi and Lo ROM. Just need to
1) Work out relationship between Hi and Lo and Uxx
2) Try writing an EPROM

Have got the adapter from mrgo0se.

Still work to do on the CDTV before I can test, the CDROM has gone the way of others, and wont spin, recapped the CDROM M/B and now if I ever so gently tap the disk while the laser is focusing it will spin happily.

Last edited by BusMaster; 03 April 2022 at 13:23.
Old 03 April 2022, 17:39   #9
BusMaster

Had the chance to try it. No luck.

I had bought KS 3.1 and what I thought were 2.30 ROMS in the event I had to use real ones. In this configuration the CDTV boots well and displays 47.1 in the CDTV splash screen. The problem is when I use the EPROMs I programmed the machine keeps rebooting. Thinking I had the EPROMS in the wrong locations I swapped them around, this time the Workbench 3.1 screen comes up.

I assume I dont need the TF536 installed at this point do I for it to work? Or is it the fact the EPROM split performed earlier did not work?
Old 03 April 2022, 18:26   #10
ScottC2010

The 2.30 ROMs are for the A500+ and CD-ROM drive - they are not 'updated' versions as such, the ROM's you should use to put in your CDTV with kick 3.1/2.04 are the V2.7 (V2.07) ones (2.30 cases problems like memory not being recognised because of the Kludges module being different as the memory locations for CDTV and 500+ are different - if you have extra RAM in your CDTV and use 2.30 you don't get more than 4BM with and 8MB card) - If you could you might be able to change the Kudges module.
You do use the 2.30 ones though for the purposes of making the 2.35 ROM though.
Old 03 April 2022, 19:08   #11
BusMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC2010 View Post
The 2.30 ROMs are for the A500+ and CD-ROM drive - they are not 'updated' versions as such, the ROM's you should use to put in your CDTV with kick 3.1/2.04 are the V2.7 (V2.07) ones (2.30 cases problems like memory not being recognised because of the Kludges module being different as the memory locations for CDTV and 500+ are different - if you have extra RAM in your CDTV and use 2.30 you don't get more than 4BM with and 8MB card) - If you could you might be able to change the Kudges module.
You do use the 2.30 ones though for the purposes of making the 2.35 ROM though.
Hi, the ebay listing was for CDTV ROMs version 2.30. I only got them in case the ROM I had from Amiga Forever did not work when applying the 2.35 patch.

Lost at the moment on what to do next, clearly the ROMs I programmed cant be right so need to get the files from Github working in Linux some how. Dont why its so difficult, following the instructions and still failing.
Old 03 April 2022, 22:08   #12
ScottC2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusMaster View Post
Hi, the ebay listing was for CDTV ROMs version 2.30. I only got them in case the ROM I had from Amiga Forever did not work when applying the 2.35 patch.

Lost at the moment on what to do next, clearly the ROMs I programmed cant be right so need to get the files from Github working in Linux some how. Dont why its so difficult, following the instructions and still failing.
I know - it took me hours to get this working, endless errors and then google searching, still not sure how I managed it in the end

What is the error you are getting?

Last edited by ScottC2010; 03 April 2022 at 22:08. Reason: Spelling
Old 03 April 2022, 22:10   #13
ScottC2010

The program should produce three files, one for winuae, and then two that you burn straight to Eproms
Old 04 April 2022, 12:10   #14
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Hi, the ebay listing was for CDTV ROMs version 2.30
The "CDTV v2.30" ROMs are A570 v2.30 ones with a patch to remove the red-screen when no FDD is connected. They were made for Cloanto by someone close to them using ROMSplit and Remus by Doobrie (which is why you cannot binary diff them). They are not ideal for CDTV because Cloanto didn't understand the differences between CDTV and A570.
Old 04 April 2022, 21:33   #15
BusMaster

HI all, thank you again for your responses. Further testing on WinUAE revealed that the combined ROM that was generated is iffy. It did the same thing with constant reboots. I messed up somewhere and will get back to it this week.
Old 07 April 2022, 00:39   #16
BusMaster

We have it working. Dont ask how, like others have said, it just worked after me trying again. Thanks so much for your support though, nice to have a community like this.

For those interested, the EPROMs I programmed first that were duff, I erased with a ‘Samsung’ mobile phone wireless charger and UV sanitizer. It features two UV lamps with a simple 10 minute timer. The ICs rested perfectly against the lamp grills and blanked first time. And it was only £13.
Old 07 April 2022, 01:42   #17
ScottC2010

Smile

Quote:
We have it working. Dont ask how, like others have said, it just worked after me trying again. Thanks so much for your support though, nice to have a community like this.

For those interested, the EPROMs I programmed first that were duff, I erased with a ‘Samsung’ mobile phone wireless charger and UV sanitizer. It features two UV lamps with a simple 10 minute timer. The ICs rested perfectly against the lamp grills and blanked first time. And it was only £13.
Glad it's all working now!

I did speak to the developer and have suggested things like adding the ability to show an on-screen keyboard and pal/ntcs switching as well as picking up if a startup is asking for doublespeed/maxspeed which then stops the cdtv from loading further which would be useful amongst other things
Old 05 July 2022, 12:45   #18
brufnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
The "CDTV v2.30" ROMs are A570 v2.30 ones with a patch to remove the red-screen when no FDD is connected. They were made for Cloanto by someone close to them using ROMSplit and Remus by Doobrie (which is why you cannot binary diff them). They are not ideal for CDTV because Cloanto didn't understand the differences between CDTV and A570.
Indeed. The original Commodore 2.30 ROM's are needed; Cloanto's version wont work.