English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 May 2023, 19:36   #1
Spyhunter

Scart to HDMI

Hi,

I know this has been covered a lot but I cannot find a definitive answer.

I have just bought a Scart to HDMI Converter and this works fine using the C64 to Scart cable. I have a similar RGB Cable (Scart RGB) to Amiga, but the monitor with HDMI does not show the screen. Works fine with C64.

Is there a particular mode or monitor refresh I SHOULD be using to get it to work with HDMI please.

Thanks.
Old 05 May 2023, 19:37   #2
Spyhunter

To add, this was the Scart to HDMI Converter I bought from Amazon...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078PCGR...roduct_details

I cannot get hold of the RestoScalerX2 ANYWHERE!!!! (all out of stock)
Old 05 May 2023, 21:20   #3
LordCrass

Comments on the product page imply other people have gotten it working on Amiga. Perhaps that one does not double the scan rate and they are using a monitor that supports 15kHz and yours does not?

There are a few options to convert SCART to HDMI assuming your monitor doesn't support the 15kHz rate and requires a scandoubler:

GBS-C: For some all-in-one units, look for "ODV GBS-C" on ebay/amazon if you don't feel like modding a GBS8200 yourself. This one has a de-interlacer if you plan on using interlaced screens, so no flicker. Good monitor compatibility due to the scaler.

Retrotink 2X-SCART: I haven't used this one, personally.

OSSC: only bob de-interlace, so interlace screens flicker. Outputs exact frequency as Amiga outputs, so if your monitor can't sync to those rates, you'll get no image or a flashing one.

Retrotink 5X Pro: Probably the most expensive external option, but looks great. Multiple de-interlacer options, some CRT emulation, very good monitor compatibility.

If you are willing to open your system up, there's a few more options:

Indivision: Both ECS and AGA options, depending on what model Amiga you have. The ECS versions only output VGA. Nice de-interlacer on these and they handle all the weird Amiga screen modes.

RGB to HDMI: Needs a Raspberry Pi Zero which are a bit difficult to get ahold of right now. Easy to use, good de-interlacer, very good compatibility.

Last edited by LordCrass; 05 May 2023 at 21:28.
Old 05 May 2023, 22:53   #4
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyhunter View Post
To add, this was the Scart to HDMI Converter I bought from Amazon...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078PCGR...roduct_details

I cannot get hold of the RestoScalerX2 ANYWHERE!!!! (all out of stock)

That one never worked on any amiga I tried it on. Only via phono's with CD32.

I also bought at same time;
https://www.amazon.co.uk/LiNKFOR-Con...%2C127&sr=1-16

This one is 10GBP more, but works perfect on all amiga's I tried. Currently using it with my PS32-Lite. So I can switch between RTS and RGB.
Old 06 May 2023, 14:34   #5
fisken uno
Zone Friend

I know some might think it's a bit on the expensive side but ever since I bought the OSSC I have had zero issues for my Amiga's display. I get razor sharp image and could not be happier. Would buy it again and again if it broke.
Old 06 May 2023, 14:40   #6
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCrass View Post
OSSC: only bob de-interlace, so interlace screens flicker. Outputs exact frequency as Amiga outputs, so if your monitor can't sync to those rates, you'll get no image or a flashing one.
It is true that the OSSC does not handle interlace well for some screens. On my ASUS gaming monitor the screen flickers and "burns" into the screen, so I prefer lo-res screen modes for it. But on my LG TV, even interlace works well.

However, I have had zero issues with frequency - on the monitor or TV. The OSSC sends a clear image when using the standard PAL or NTSC screenmodes of the Amiga. DblPAL/DblNTSC, VGA or other screen modes don't work but I'm not sure why you would want to. Not a single game I have tested has failed to work with it, so I'm not sure what screen mode you would want that the OSSC cannot handle.
Old 06 May 2023, 19:14   #7
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

If proper interlace/de-interlace is important for you, GBS-Control can do Motion-Adaptive deinterlace just like the Retrotink 5x Pro.

https://www.amazon.de/Mcbazel-ODV-GB...language=en_GB

Not sure why it isn't avaiable in the UK store at the moment.
Old 06 May 2023, 19:42   #8
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
If proper interlace/de-interlace is important for you, GBS-Control can do Motion-Adaptive deinterlace just like the Retrotink 5x Pro.

https://www.amazon.de/Mcbazel-ODV-GB...language=en_GB
Have you tested it? Does it work well with the interlace screen modes of the Amiga? Might be worth checking out, although I do love the OSSC. I might want Amigas in more than one room. And it's not that pricey either.
Old 06 May 2023, 19:51   #9
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Not personally. Not sure if it's suitable for all Amiga resolutions. But motion adaptive is comfirmed working as it should. Such a device is mainly designed for consoles and a few older computers. But it doesn't cost much, worth a try i guess.
Old 06 May 2023, 19:58   #10
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Not personally. Not sure if it's suitable for all Amiga resolutions. But motion adaptive is comfirmed working as it should. Such a device is mainly designed for consoles and a few older computers. But it doesn't cost much, worth a try i guess.
I agree! Think I might just order one for testing. Looking at the official site, they seem to be sold out... So might not want to wait too long.

EDIT: Yup, ended up ordering one. Will get back with a report of my experiences with it on my Amigas.

Last edited by fisken uno; 06 May 2023 at 20:13.
Old 07 May 2023, 10:40   #11
Spyhunter

I also bought at same time;

So this one actually works with A1200?
Old 07 May 2023, 18:20   #12
LordCrass

I have a GBS-C (not the unit linked, but one I modded myself from a GBS8220 unit).

It works very well. It has a de-interlacer so there is no flicker. It doesn't change output mode when input mode changes between interlace/non-interlace, so the small handful of games that do this won't cause the picture to drop-out briefly. Image quality is quite good, but I find the OSSC to be sharper and have more vibrant colours. It has optional scanline mode, and can output to several different resolutions.

It didn't work with the ECS modes for me, but the unit is meant for 15kHz inputs, so that's sort of to be expected.

It's low-lag (nothing that I could perceive anyway), unlike those cheap SCART-to-HDMI boxes.
Old 07 May 2023, 20:26   #13
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Quote:
It's low-lag (nothing that I could perceive anyway), unlike those cheap SCART-to-HDMI boxes.
*shudders*

Yes, you should stay away from those!! Spent WAY too much money on several of those before I discovered the OSSC. But looking forward to the GBS-C! It sounds really promising.
Old 08 May 2023, 10:07   #14
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Given that it works with a C64, could the reason be that the scart to hdmi converter only works with composite input (i.e. not rgb) ? The amiga doesn't output composite on the rgb connector, and thus not in the scart connector at the other end of your cable.

If that's the case, you could wire up something that takes video from the amiga composite output and connect it to the composite pin of a scart plug.
Old 08 May 2023, 18:23   #15
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
Given that it works with a C64, could the reason be that the scart to hdmi converter only works with composite input (i.e. not rgb) ? The amiga doesn't output composite on the rgb connector, and thus not in the scart connector at the other end of your cable.

If that's the case, you could wire up something that takes video from the amiga composite output and connect it to the composite pin of a scart plug.
Yup, common problem indeed. Few of the adapters on the market support RGB, even if they claim to do so. I have discovered this the hard way. And in some cases having had interesting conversations with customer support where they KEEP claiming the product supports RGB when I show them how it works for a standard signal but clearly NOT for RGB. Oh well.
Old 08 May 2023, 18:57   #16
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Here is an interesting video showing the delay from one of those cheap Chinese converts
Annoying can't timestamp youtube video?
anyway 12:39
[ Show youtube player ]

However the OP of the video does admit in the comments his LCD is not in game mode.

How can I time link a youtube video on eab? or disable the BB code?

TCD how do I do this?

Last edited by Retro1234; 08 May 2023 at 19:19.
Old 09 May 2023, 11:02   #17
Spyhunter

Thanks for all your comments. This one:

Actually worked, all is now well for only £37

Also worked on my C64 - thinking of buying two just to not have to remove scarts or scart adapter
Old 17 May 2023, 14:21   #18
Snoopy1234

Note: Retro Computer Shack in the UK produce the proper Scart cables for the Amiga that does the blanking signal right according to blogs elsewhere.

https://www.retrocomputershack.com/S...iga/index.html

Last edited by Snoopy1234; 17 May 2023 at 15:34. Reason: accuracy
Old 17 May 2023, 16:54   #19
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I'd bet money that the RGB select pin 16 on the Amiga SCART cable is the wrong voltage or missing.

Alternatively the CSYNC signal pin 20 can also be the wrong voltage.

If you can solder (or know someone who can) a few simple changes should fix it.

Or buy a different cable.
Old 17 May 2023, 18:52   #20
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Quote:
I have a GBS-C (not the unit linked, but one I modded myself from a GBS8220 unit).

It works very well. It has a de-interlacer so there is no flicker. It doesn't change output mode when input mode changes between interlace/non-interlace, so the small handful of games that do this won't cause the picture to drop-out briefly. Image quality is quite good, but I find the OSSC to be sharper and have more vibrant colours. It has optional scanline mode, and can output to several different resolutions.

It didn't work with the ECS modes for me, but the unit is meant for 15kHz inputs, so that's sort of to be expected.

I got my GBS-C a few days ago and I am actually quite happy with it. Just like LordCrass said, I think the OSSC is a tad sharper and outputs an overall nicer picture. BUT the GBS-C handles interlace screenmodes well, as advertised. And the picture quality is definitely good enough - quite a bit better compared to using just a regular RGB cable. And I also like some of the features to crop, scale and move the picture area - I miss that feature in the OSSC.

I have no idea why there is no option to set input volume though. The output of my CD32 was way too hot, so I ended up connecting the headphone output (which can be controlled with the volume lever) instead of the ports on the back.

But all in all, I can definitely recommend both units. If you know for sure that you will only, or mostly, use lores screen modes and are prepared to spend a little bit more - go for OSSC. But you can spend like half on a GBS-S and will get almost as good a result, as well as better interlace handling.