English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 22 November 2020, 14:50   #1
palaste
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 72
FS-UAE does not find files with special characters

I originally wrote an Amiga program called % (yes, a percent mark) in the 1990s when I had a real working Amiga. Now, when I fired up FS-UAE and tried to run the program I was amazed to see that it was not there. The emulated Amiga shell reported that % was an unknown command and it did not show up in the directory listing.
That seemed strange, because it worked all OK on the real Amiga and the file is present in the host Linux system and Linux can find it all OK. Even vamos can run the program by cd:ing to its directory and typing "vamos %".
It turned out FS-UAE was not finding it specifically because it was named %. On the host Linux system, I made a copy of it with a more common name with "cp % percent" and sure enough, percent showed up in FS-UAE and FS-UAE was able to run it.
Is there something that prevents FS-UAE from finding files with special characters?
palaste is offline  
Old 28 November 2020, 07:27   #2
ztronzo
Registered User

ztronzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Montreal
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by palaste View Post
I originally wrote an Amiga program called % (yes, a percent mark) in the 1990s when I had a real working Amiga. Now, when I fired up FS-UAE and tried to run the program I was amazed to see that it was not there. The emulated Amiga shell reported that % was an unknown command and it did not show up in the directory listing.
That seemed strange, because it worked all OK on the real Amiga and the file is present in the host Linux system and Linux can find it all OK. Even vamos can run the program by cd:ing to its directory and typing "vamos %".
It turned out FS-UAE was not finding it specifically because it was named %. On the host Linux system, I made a copy of it with a more common name with "cp % percent" and sure enough, percent showed up in FS-UAE and FS-UAE was able to run it.
Is there something that prevents FS-UAE from finding files with special characters?
Depends on FS-UAE version, OS and the way you mount the hard drive


Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
ztronzo is offline  
Old 28 November 2020, 07:31   #3
ztronzo
Registered User

ztronzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Montreal
Posts: 194
Normally the character "%" should get encoded to "%25" on the PC filesystem.. run rename it from the Amiga end back to "%" and see

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
ztronzo is offline  
Old 30 November 2020, 00:10   #4
palaste
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 72
I am running FS-UAE version 3.0.5 on a Fedora 32 Linux system. The hard drives are mapped directly to directories on the host Linux system, not using any kind of ADF or HDF files. This way I can access the exact same files on both AmigaOS and Linux.

And because this is Linux and not Windows, the system has no problem with a file literally named %. AmigaOS shouldn't have any problem with it either, and it appeared all OK when I was still using a real Amiga. But for some reason, the emulated AmigaOS under FS-UAE does not see it.
palaste is offline  
Old 01 December 2020, 12:50   #5
ztronzo
Registered User

ztronzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Montreal
Posts: 194
Well thats how FS-UAE works.. renames all special characters to % + character code

Did you try renaming it from the amiga end back to "%" it should show up as "%25" on the host folder.
Or rename it from the host to "%25" (without the double quotes) as a workaround.. (Windows also supports % in filenames)

it gets wierder when loading zip or lha archives as harddrives per OS and FS-UAE version.. I have already reported those bugs...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
ztronzo is offline  
Old 02 December 2020, 01:19   #6
palaste
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztronzo View Post
Well thats how FS-UAE works.. renames all special characters to % + character code

Did you try renaming it from the amiga end back to "%" it should show up as "%25" on the host folder.
Or rename it from the host to "%25" (without the double quotes) as a workaround.. (Windows also supports % in filenames)

it gets wierder when loading zip or lha archives as harddrives per OS and FS-UAE version.. I have already reported those bugs...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
I typed
Code:
copy percent %
on the Amiga emulated by FS-UAE, and sure enough, it created a file called % that I could run all OK. On the host Linux system, the file appeared as %25. Typing
Code:
vamos %25
ran the program all OK directly in the Linux terminal.
I guess what confused me here is that although % is a legal character in file names in both AmigaOS and Linux, it is somehow not mapped directly between the two.
palaste is offline  
Old 03 December 2020, 13:19   #7
ztronzo
Registered User

ztronzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Montreal
Posts: 194
Yes indeed, and it can get even wierder.. if you use WinUAE, it uses its own naming method without attaching .uaem files

I should suggest to the developer to use a universal method which both can rely on..

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 13 January 2021 at 20:16. Reason: Changed with to without
ztronzo is offline  
Old 13 January 2021, 20:19   #8
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

FrodeSolheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Førde, Norway
Age: 40
Posts: 3,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by palaste View Post
I guess what confused me here is that although % is a legal character in file names in both AmigaOS and Linux, it is somehow not mapped directly between the two.
I chose % as an escape character (similar to URL-encoded special characters, and also a slightly unusual character in filenames) to represent characters that cannot be stored in filenames on all supported systems (Windows being the most picky).

So in order to see % from the Amiga side, the host filename must be %25 (25 == hex code for % in ASCII). Of course, files created on the Amiga side will automatically be stored with the correct escaping applied.
FrodeSolheim is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Open '.txt' files in Devpac without CR\LF Characters Blip Coders. General 4 11 January 2018 03:46
removing extra characters from windows text files source support.Apps 10 26 October 2014 02:38
[bug] FS-UAE-Launcher fails with files that include special characters luttztfz support.FS-UAE 1 08 December 2013 21:45
NOTE: You can't use DMS files with names longer than 18 characters! andreas support.WinUAE 2 07 July 2002 02:22

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.09168 seconds with 15 queries