English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.TOSEC (amiga only)

Old 17 March 2002, 01:41   #1
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Overdoc's list of bad cracks & not 100% working games

Ok guys, in times of everything being TOSEC'd, I thought I should share all bad experience I have mad with some cracks thru all my Amiga years.
So here are the ones that come to my mind right now ( I may remember some more later ):

* Brian the Lion ( Hoodlum ):
second manualprotection later in the game is not cracked !

* Suburbian Commando ( Hoodlum ):
fucks up in level 3

* Gods ( ??? ):
the recently discussed bug which makes monsters more resistant

* Leander ( Skid Row, Goonies & Zenith Trainers also affected ):
platform bug in level 1.4 prevents further playing

* Prince of Persia ( Angels, also Fusion Trainer ):
the save-function doesn't work ( but there exists a fixed version by Eurosoft ! )

* Wings of Death ( Skid Row ):
endsequence not working - screen stays black

* Fire & Brimstone ( can't remember the crackers right now ):
the game is only playable on a monitor ! On a PAL TV you get a double display. Maybe a NTSC version ?

* Double Dragon II ( Defjam ):
works only on Amigas with Agnus 8371

*Tharghan ( French version ):
second manual protection check later in the game not cracked !

* D.N.A. Warrior ( Cosmos, Vision Factory ):
bug at the end of game fight: a brain appears and cannot be shot in both cracks !

* Last Ninja Remix ( can't remember cracker ):
one screen in level 4 is a complete grafical mess, but nevertheless it is somehow possible to get through

* Bumpy's Arcade Fantasy ( shit, again can't remember cracker, but it was a short name with 3 letters only. ):
copyprotection after level 1 not removed ( Vision Factory crack works, though )

* Flashback ( french version by Interpol ):
manual protection check very late in the game is not cracked. This may be a problem with my version which might have been made out of 2 different ones. So I'm not 100% sure here

* Waxworks ( german version ):
manual code protection after level 1 not removed

* Jurassic Park ( Classic ??? ):
level codes do not work. I haven't tested this myself, just heard of it. Maybe a rumour...

* Cool Spot ( ??? ):
game crashes after disk 3 has to be inserted

* Sword of Sodan:
after the first game over you get unlimited lives

* Wonderdog ( only the trainer version by ??? - can't remember ):
levelcodes won't work

Phew, I hope I didn't forget any....
If anyone has something to correct please feel free to do so !
I am not 100% sure if all this is due to bad cracks or bad programmed games. It could also be possible that I only had a bad copied version of some of them.

Anyway, I hope this can be useful for some TOSEC entries
Old 17 March 2002, 02:01   #2
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Twinworld: QUARTEX crack (<- TOSEC).
Graphics in Level 2 (tree-holes) are corrupt.
Maybe it's only a bad disk having been transferred, and this problem could be solved if someone replaced the corrupt image by a working one?
Old 17 March 2002, 02:13   #3
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

@Andreas
Have you tried both Quartex cracks in the TOSEC dats? Maybe one is good and the other is bad?

@Overdoc
Great idea making this list. Should prove very useful.

Fire and Brimstone
The TOSEC dats have several versions...do they all behave this way on a (PAL) TV?

Tharghan
I assume you mean Targhan

Last Ninja Remix
Can you remember if it was the Skid Row or the DefJam/Angels crack?

Bumpy's Arcade Fantasy
Crack Inc.? Can you up your Vision Factory crack?

Cool Spot
Probably the Prodigy version...

Wonderdog
There was two trainers for the Classic crack: the +9 by Delight and the +12 by Mystic. To be truthful, I'm sure there are more trainers for this game than that, but those two are in the TOSEC dats, so...
Old 17 March 2002, 08:38   #4
Drake1009

I think I've managed to get fire&brimstone to play on my PAL tv once or maybe twice. Not sure. Could've only been under emulation.
Old 17 March 2002, 10:26   #5
andreas
Zone Friend

Quote:
Have you tried both Quartex cracks in the TOSEC dats?
Of course, they're almost identical.
Old 17 March 2002, 11:36   #6
RetroMan

Lightbulb Leander

Wasn´t it, that the 4-disk Version (cr Company) works at Level 1-4 ? Think we had that Topic on the GAEB some days ago
Old 17 March 2002, 19:05   #7
andreas
Zone Friend

True.
However, the thread I remember wasn't on the GAEB: the first thread about this topic was started at EAB by Tim ("stuck in Leander for 9 years")
Old 17 March 2002, 19:22   #8
RetroMan

@andreas

that was not the thread I was thinkin of I was thinking of the games request (Leander) some days ago
Old 17 March 2002, 21:25   #9
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Yes, there have been several discussions about that topic.
Must have been already 2 years or so ago that I found out that the Company crack works. ( Thanks to a great guy from a.b.w.a who called himself 'Rocky' - remember him, Twisty ? )

Somebody once told me that the Skid Row version was given to them by a member of the programming team for free. But Skid Row didn't notice the bug that was built in ! So they released they released the game and their version got widely spread.
I think this may have been a good way to get people buying a game ! Because once you are into a game and have played some levels and enjoyed them then chances are higher you will buy this game if you know it is the only way to get a 100% version ( most people only knew the Skid Row crack - the Company crack is rather rare ! )

Bumpy's Arcade Fantasy:
Yes, Crack Inc. rings a bell. I will upload the Vison Factory version soon. ( gotta dig it out of all the mess I have in my collection )

Last Ninja Remix:
I think it was the Defjam/Angels version who had the problems.

Wonderdog: The Delight version

Cool Spot: Yes, Prodigy crack

@Andreas:
I know my version of Twinworld worked beyond level 2.
But I just checked if it was the Quartex crack and it seems my disk has gone bad - Shit !!!
Old 18 March 2002, 13:46   #10
derSammler

Quote:
Originally posted by Overdoc
Last Ninja Remix:
I think it was the Defjam/Angels version who had the problems.
Yes, it is the Defjam/Angels version! The third disk is a bad dump...
Old 17 April 2002, 08:32   #11
sun68

Happy Flashback 100%

I have Flashback 100% by INFECT. Upload the Game in next Time on GAEB.

//admin: please don't use direct signature in your post, configure your UserCP instead.

Old 17 April 2002, 21:08   #12
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Alternate versions

Double Dragon 2 - Oracle version works fine

Brian the Lion - Prestige version works fine as does Dytec version

Fire n Brimstone - Vision Factory (98%) works fine, slight corruption at bottom of screen as there wasn't enough memory for trackbuffer, but game plays fine. Or get a hold of Galahad's AGA fix of the game.

Leander - The Company version works fine

Gods - Crystal version works fine, Copylock code might mean that it wont operate correctly under emulation though.

Jurrassic Park - Paradox or Fairlight versions work fine

Wonderdog - Classic version works fine.

I also suspect most of the original cracks that you mention probably work fine, but idiots uploading shit images doesn't help, although I do remember that Bumpys wasnt cracked.
Old 17 April 2002, 22:04   #13
ethylene

Send a message via ICQ to ethylene Send a message via AIM to ethylene Send a message via MSN to ethylene Send a message via Yahoo to ethylene
Metal Mutant (all versions I've tried)

I can play to a certain point. It's right at the end of the purple city level, just before you descend into the red underworld level.

You must access a computer terminal to activate the underground lift. It's in French, but it seems to be asking for "Page X, Word X". When you finish up with the terminal, you can't see your bullets, and you can't use your grapple. There are other bugs, too, but not using your grapple prevents you from playing much further.

I have a Defjam crack of this game that I've never seen in .adf format. Seems it now has a read/write error and any image I make won't work.

The versions I've tried are:

Quartex
The Company

I tried cutting and pasting over the error in a hex editor, but I don't know what I'm doing!

Anyone have any different versions? I could post mine to the zone, but it doesn't work...
Old 17 April 2002, 22:47   #14
andreas
Zone Friend

Quote:
Double Dragon 2 - Oracle version works fine
Yep, but only on real Amigas and WinFellow - no way on WinUAE (yet).
Old 17 April 2002, 23:51   #15
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas

Yep, but only on real Amigas and WinFellow - no way on WinUAE (yet).
It doesn't even run on all real Amigas, but only on old Amigas with a 8371 Agnus.
It will NOT run on later A-500 models which already have the 1MB 8372A Agnus ! And it also will not run on any A-500+ or A-600 or A-1200 or A-4000 or whatever.
I am not even sure if it will run on anything except Kick 1.3, which would mean it won't even run on an A-1000 or early A-500 with Kick 1.2.

It is not a problem of the crack, but a problem of the game itself which ( maybe ? ) could be fixed by someone who knows how to code very well
Old 18 April 2002, 02:48   #16
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Lightbulb Manual protection in Metal Mutant

Quote:
Originally posted by ethylene
Metal Mutant (all versions I've tried)

I can play to a certain point. It's right at the end of the purple city level, just before you descend into the red underworld level.

You must access a computer terminal to activate the underground lift. It's in French, but it seems to be asking for "Page X, Word X". When you finish up with the terminal, you can't see your bullets, and you can't use your grapple. There are other bugs, too, but not using your grapple prevents you from playing much further.

I have a Defjam crack of this game that I've never seen in .adf format. Seems it now has a read/write error and any image I make won't work.

The versions I've tried are:

Quartex
The Company

I tried cutting and pasting over the error in a hex editor, but I don't know what I'm doing!

Anyone have any different versions? I could post mine to the zone, but it doesn't work...
If you grab the WHDLoad version, it features the following:

Features:
- game use OSEmu module done by Harry, Wepl and me,
- long track protection removed,
- manual protection removed,
- music initialization fixed (really badly coded),
- three game versions supported,
- save game for registered users only (when you will save game position you must wait about 2 minutes, because game will access many times to hard disk),
- nice NI/MWB icons included,
- trainer included (if trainer is enabled save game not working anymore),

I assume that one will work correctly as Mr Larmer removed the manual protection. If you want it uploaded, gimme a yell.
Old 18 April 2002, 03:50   #17
Nian

Bad crack?

Hired Guns, Unknown crack but pritty common. Half way through the game it comes up with a copy protection manual check, if you fail it formats your save game disk next time you try to save.
Old 18 April 2002, 05:36   #18
ethylene

Send a message via ICQ to ethylene Send a message via AIM to ethylene Send a message via MSN to ethylene Send a message via Yahoo to ethylene
Quote:
Originally posted by Codetapper

If you want it uploaded, gimme a yell.
/me yells

WHDLoad? Sounds like a Workbench 3.x deal... I guess I'll be doing some research tonight.

Registered users? Does the zipfile contain all the relevant info about registering?

Thanks, Codetapper!
Old 19 April 2002, 13:29   #19
vivash

Quote:
Originally posted by Overdoc

It doesn't even run on all real Amigas, but only on old Amigas with a 8371 Agnus.
It will NOT run on later A-500 models which already have the 1MB 8372A Agnus ! And it also will not run on any A-500+ or A-600 or A-1200 or A-4000 or whatever.
I am not even sure if it will run on anything except Kick 1.3, which would mean it won't even run on an A-1000 or early A-500 with Kick 1.2.

It is not a problem of the crack, but a problem of the game itself which ( maybe ? ) could be fixed by someone who knows how to code very well
I remember playing this [Double Dragon 2] on my 512k chip A500, and playing on my mate's A500+ after running relokick on it - maybe this will get it to work. My memories are vague however...

Old 09 April 2006, 18:03   #20
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Send a message via ICQ to Adderly
Reviewed this old thread to check out if i can identify some of the disks mentioned here for tosec renaming. Only found one game (Brain the Lion - Hoodlum crack). All others have too many [a] versions to say what disks had the bugs/not cracked/works fine etc. Too bad no filenames or crc's have been posted...