English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 29 April 2006, 03:42   #1
Petesamus

Not enough memory

Hi all
I'm new to all of this, just bought me an A1200.
After a few terrible hours of setting up a serial link and installing WHDload, i was ready to play my first game.

Downloaded north&south.lzx and try to run it.
Got this message => DOS-error #103 (no enough memory avaible) on loading "north&south.slave"

Now i think this is plain rubbish cause as a little boy i saw my brother playing this on is A500, mine is a A1200 with a pyramid TRA1200 card and 8mb of fast ram.
I do not know anything about this stuff so please help me out here.

Greetz

Old 29 April 2006, 05:07   #2
mangemani

serial link?WHDload?
aw man,to much work.
get your self a nullmodem(which is almost free at any computer store),then download and install this program on your pc http://www.amigaforever.com/ae/ ....download some ADF files,follow the instructions on the site and just lean back and let the computers do the rest.
viola

regarding the memory stuffs,as far as i know the fast ram isnt the thing for games and such.
fast ram isnt used for graphic,its used for making the computer faster when you use programs like workbench etc,but still,an amiga1200 has 2mb chip-ram and thats more than enough for the most games(especialy games like north&south),so its pretty strange that the amiga gives you that message=/.
do you have an HD on the amiga?

Last edited by mangemani; 29 April 2006 at 05:16.
Old 29 April 2006, 08:59   #3
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

North&South requires 0.5M chipram and 0.5M other ram (chip or fast) to run - so your A1200 should be more than enough. So something else must be going wrong...

http://www.whdload.de/games/NorthAndSouth.html

Have you also setup your kickstart image correctly in DEVS:Kickstarts??
Old 29 April 2006, 14:03   #4
Petesamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangemani
serial link?WHDload?
aw man,to much work.
get your self a nullmodem(which is almost free at any computer store),then download and install this program on your pc http://www.amigaforever.com/ae/ ....download some ADF files,follow the instructions on the site and just lean back and let the computers do the rest.
viola
Yup, that's the first thing i did, downloaded Amigaexplorer and some adf files and sended them over nullmodem to the amiga.
Then used adfblitzer to put them on disk.
result => only one out of five works, the rest gives me an software failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangemani
regarding the memory stuffs,as far as i know the fast ram isnt the thing for games and such.
fast ram isnt used for graphic,its used for making the computer faster when you use programs like workbench etc,but still,an amiga1200 has 2mb chip-ram and thats more than enough for the most games(especialy games like north&south),so its pretty strange that the amiga gives you that message=/.
do you have an HD on the amiga?
Yup i got a HD, thats why i wanted WHDload to work, but when i download a game from www.WHDload.de and i try to install it i get the message => Warning your intstaller is outdated.
I have installer 43.3, but can find version 44.10 that's recommended.
So i can't install.
Nothing seems to work, i only wanted to play some games
Quote:
Originally Posted by musashi5150
North&South requires 0.5M chipram and 0.5M other ram (chip or fast) to run - so your A1200 should be more than enough. So something else must be going wrong...

http://www.whdload.de/games/NorthAndSouth.html

Have you also setup your kickstart image correctly in DEVS:Kickstarts??
I looked in my devs and i can't fine kickstarts (yes show all files is on)
Maybe thats the problem? How can i fix this?
Can i get installer 44.10 somewhere?

Greetz

Old 29 April 2006, 14:26   #5
BippyM
Global Moderator

you need to find the kickstart image (or dump it yourself if you have axxs to a 1.3amiga) and then put them in a folder called Kickstarts which is located in DEVS:

You will also need the required RTB files etc..

note: kickstart roms are not allowed to be requested on EAB so please don't be tempted to do so..

Check out the WHDLoad manual for more info or our own FAQ
Old 29 April 2006, 14:35   #6
Petesamus

My guess is i have wb3.0, in my DEVS i can't fined anything that is called kickstarts.
Isn't a realy A1200 (no emulator) suppose to have a kickstarts rom?

Old 29 April 2006, 19:27   #7
fc.studio
Cat lover

You have to create a folder called Kickstarts inside DEVS:
Then you have to put here kickstart images.
Old 01 May 2006, 02:04   #8
Petesamus

I solved the thing with the kickstarts, still getting the out of memory error.
Strange thing is, when i remove the pyramid TRA1200 card i get another error saying "cannot allocate shadowmem", with the card i get the out off mem error.
With the card i get the error for most games, without i only get problems with north&south.
Any suggestions?

Greetz

Old 01 May 2006, 17:08   #9
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

You could always edit the north&south icon and remove the preload command and see if that gets it working.
Old 01 May 2006, 17:15   #10
patrik

@Petesamus:

How much free graphics and other memory does Workbench report you have in its screen-title?
Old 01 May 2006, 18:38   #11
Petesamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgloride
You could always edit the north&south icon and remove the preload command and see if that gets it working.
Can you tell me how i should do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik
@Petesamus:

How much free graphics and other memory does Workbench report you have in its screen-title?
about 1.78mb graphics and 3.8mb other(with the TRA1200 board)

Old 01 May 2006, 19:11   #12
fc.studio
Cat lover

You have to click one time the north&south icon and then activate the icon/info option from Workbench; delete "preload" command and then save.
Old 01 May 2006, 20:26   #13
Petesamus

Nope, still doesn't work.
If i start the game now with the tra1200 board it still says not enough mem, if i start it without it begins to load, the screen turns black and my HD-light lights up every few seconds.
But nothing happens.

Didn't know trying to play north&south was that difficult

Old 01 May 2006, 20:27   #14
BippyM
Global Moderator

Have you tried with another WHDLoad game.. Might be the game at fault.. who knows at this point?
Old 01 May 2006, 21:28   #15
Rick Dangerous
Registered Playmate

North & South is a VERY old game designed for the early Amigas. Maybe that's the problem you have. Several old games doesn't run on newer Amigas. I came to this when I purchased an A2000 3 years ago. But, Alas!, it has a Kickstart-Switcher! (1.3 and 2.0)
There are several old games which doesn't work on the A2000 or similiar newer machines. Some games can't handle more than 512K, if there's more, they make some 'Guru Meditations' or 'Software Failure'.
I do have a A500 too, and for several games I must use this one.
In this A500 I have a switched 2MB expansion card. One game that makes problems above 512 K RAM is 'Emerald Mine'. So I switch from 512 K to 2MB and back very often.
So I daresay, that programs until maybe 1988 will work great on A1000 and A500, but they must not on Amigas built later.

Cheers, Rick
Old 01 May 2006, 21:45   #16
Petesamus

That is a very good explanation, cause other games do indeed work.
Is there any way to letting the game think i only have 512kb?

Greetz

Old 01 May 2006, 21:53   #17
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dangerous
North & South is a VERY old game designed for the early Amigas. Maybe that's the problem you have. Several old games doesn't run on newer Amigas. I came to this when I purchased an A2000 3 years ago. But, Alas!, it has a Kickstart-Switcher! (1.3 and 2.0)
There are several old games which doesn't work on the A2000 or similiar newer machines. Some games can't handle more than 512K, if there's more, they make some 'Guru Meditations' or 'Software Failure'.
I do have a A500 too, and for several games I must use this one.
In this A500 I have a switched 2MB expansion card. One game that makes problems above 512 K RAM is 'Emerald Mine'. So I switch from 512 K to 2MB and back very often.
So I daresay, that programs until maybe 1988 will work great on A1000 and A500, but they must not on Amigas built later.

Cheers, Rick
Using my 1200 I've not had any problems with any of the WHDLOAD games. All seem to work perfectly.
Old 01 May 2006, 23:18   #18
Rick Dangerous
Registered Playmate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petesamus
Is there any way to letting the game think i only have 512kb?
Greetz
I don't know this pyramid-card you have and for me the A1200 never walked by. (Just experienced the last 20 years with A1000, A500, A600 and A2000.)
Does your A1200-pyramid-card have removable DIMMs?

The best and most compatible machine is the A500. That's the Amiga which was sold the most and for whom the most compatible software was written. Purchase the A500, try to get it with the 2MB RAM-Expansion.
Just have a look at the CPU's that are available in WinUAE. The basic CPU is the 68000. That's the one that was built in the A1000 and A500, as far as I know.
I think that the ruin of the AMIGA has something to do with the incompatibility between the different systems.

Or look out for a Kickstart-Switcher fitting to the A1200.
Or play it in WinUAE.
Or get the PC-Version of North&South.

Cheeriooo,
Rick
Old 02 May 2006, 00:32   #19
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the point of WHDLoad to get old games working on newer Amigas ?

So either something else is going wrong here - or this particular setup has thrown up an error that isn't fixed in the install?

Does anyone have a pre-installed WHD version of North&South they could up to the Zone to let Petesamus try... ?
Old 02 May 2006, 09:53   #20
Rick Dangerous
Registered Playmate

Another point comes to my mind...

I bought my first A500 back in early 1987 new. A couple of years ago I opened the case to fix an error at the diskdrive. I looked underneath the circuit-board and was surprised. On the board several connections where scratched with a sort of screwdriver and surpassed with cables.
At that time I had another A500 too and compared them. The newer model (maybe 1989) didn't had this manipulation.
Regarding these 2 Amigas it is a fact, that Commorore altered the schematics in the running production.
MAYBE they did on other models too?
If you have slightly different schematics on the same model, will any instruction you send be computed the same?

Cheers,
Rick