English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 04 August 2022, 21:53   #21
AMIGASYSTEM

As suggested above, you have to install a clean system, if you keep using a mixed system you will always encounter problems that no one can fix.

The errors you have on FS-UAE you will also encounter on WinUAE !
Old 05 August 2022, 08:36   #22
elowan

right now it still works perfectly fine on WinUAE. what I noticed was, that a few things I've installed before, when running in FS-UAE were missing, when I used the HDF with Win-UAE.

surprisingly, it was the "unpacker" in the C: folder, that was missing and also the changes I made in DefaultIcons for "archive" the make the "unpack LHA on dbl click thing" work.

I re-installed and setup stuff again and boom - now "unpack lha to ram on dbl click" works again as well!
(the other broken things worked again right out of the box)

what I try now, is to copy over the working HDF from Win to mac again and hook it up to FS-Uae once again - just out of curiosity
Old 05 August 2022, 08:52   #23
thomas

Also copy the config. It's surely not the emulator which causes the issues but the different configs.
Old 05 August 2022, 09:18   #24
elowan

I did a new config from scratch when going from Fs-UAE to WinUAE - so you think this was, what fixed my issue (because something with the Fs-UAE config may be broken?)
Old 05 August 2022, 10:34   #25
elowan

So - I copied back the HDF from Win to mac and everything works perfectly in FS_UAE now.

I think this was it..... for now

Cheers!
Old 05 August 2022, 11:38   #26
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elowan View Post

I re-installed and setup stuff again and boom - now "unpack lha to ram on dbl click" works again as well!
(the other broken things worked again right out of the box)

It was the right solution, now don't "automatically" install old applications that belong to old OS 3.1/3.9, to use, copy manually the applications.

IF the old applications require libraries or other system files not present on OS 3.2, copy them to the old program folder and avoid overwriting system ones if present.

WinUAE and FS-UAE have different config files, my advice is always to create new config from scratch.

All of this is also useful when changing versions of the emulator, it may happen that in the old versions new items or functions are missing or something has been deleted or corrected.
Old 05 August 2022, 13:40   #27
elowan

Yeah, this software-emulation thing is not 100% reliable, as you stated.
I think I will get me a dedicated MiSTr FPGA board to have a fast and stable
AMIGA for running various Painting and Imaging applications.

Thanks to all of you, who gave advice to me!
Old 05 August 2022, 14:10   #28
AMIGASYSTEM

Completely wrong your statement, WinUAE/FS-UAE emulation verges 100% of compatibility of course you have to know THE emulation and the Amiga model you want to Emulate, WinUAE has decades of experience.

FPGA like Vampire,MiSTer etc. in my opinion do not even reach 90%, also you can never have all Amiga models available like an Emulator does.

For example, try running my AfA One or similar OS RTGs (OS 3.9 BB4 + MUI5 + AfA OS + IconDualPNG + GFX 32Bit), on FPGAs you certainly won't oter maximum compatibility and the same power offered by Emulation.

Or try running AROS 68k on FPGAs, for sure you will get a very slow, less smooth and not very compatible system.

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 05 August 2022 at 14:25.
Old 05 August 2022, 21:16   #29
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Yeah, this software-emulation thing is not 100% reliable, as you stated.
I think I will get me a dedicated MiSTr FPGA board to have a fast and stable
AMIGA for running various Painting and Imaging applications.

Thanks to all of you, who gave advice to me!
Great - really glad you got it working!
Old 09 August 2022, 15:00   #30
elowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Completely wrong your statement, WinUAE/FS-UAE emulation verges 100% of compatibility of course you have to know THE emulation and the Amiga model you want to Emulate, WinUAE has decades of experience.

FPGA like Vampire,MiSTer etc. in my opinion do not even reach 90%, also you can never have all Amiga models available like an Emulator does.

For example, try running my AfA One or similar OS RTGs (OS 3.9 BB4 + MUI5 + AfA OS + IconDualPNG + GFX 32Bit), on FPGAs you certainly won't oter maximum compatibility and the same power offered by Emulation.

Or try running AROS 68k on FPGAs, for sure you will get a very slow, less smooth and not very compatible system.

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]
Hmmm - I was under th impression, that this FPGA board stuff works 100% like the real stuff - but faster and with more modern connections ?!

Did you try some FPGA-Migas yourself? How you come to your statement?
Old 09 August 2022, 21:15   #31
thomas

Quote:
I was under th impression, that this FPGA board stuff works 100% like the real stuff
You are joking, aren't you?

An FPGA is a blank chip which can be programmed to imitate other chips. But the programming to imitate for example a 68K CPU or the Amiga custom chips still has to be done by people.

Those people working on FPGA Amiga cores like the MiniMig for example are hobby coders, just like those working on UAE.

Now UAE has more than 25 years of experience of many different people. And how old is the Minimig core? 10 or 15 years? And how many people are working on it?

It is to expect that WinUAE emulation is much more accurate than any FPGA implementation.

It could be different if former Motorola and Commodore Amiga employees would work on it using the original 68k and custom chip blueprints. Then they could probably make an FPGA core which is 99% accurate.

But not in our reality.
Old 09 August 2022, 23:18   #32
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
You are joking, aren't you?
I'm afraid that a lot of people think that way. "It's a chip so it has to be more accurate". I'll just suggest that people look up what FPGA means and how a 'core' actually works.
Old 29 August 2022, 19:17   #33
elowan

hmmm, then this guy is telling total BS?

[ Show youtube player ]

Old 29 August 2022, 21:58   #34
AMIGASYSTEM

On this forum there are many people with "great" experience, thomas himself who answered you above is a luminary.

Nothing is better than the original Hardware, the Emulation in particular WinUAE comes close to perfection, besides being able to give you the ability to boot all Amiga models with one click.

Machines with FPGA at the moment, are too slow to run a modern system and too fast to run old systems or games, the Emulation on the contrary can handle both the situations.
Old 30 August 2022, 09:05   #35
elowan

Hmmm, I just read on http://blog.a-eon.biz/blog/

Quote:
There are a lot of hard core Amiga enthusiasts who already have access to a host of excellent FPGA clones which can accurately emulate multiple retro systems, not just the Amiga hardware.

This comes from Trevor himself, so I thought the FPGA stuff could be a good alternative.

So yeah - real hardware is king, no question.