English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 27 January 2023, 22:50   #1
remz

Hint about icon preventing program from working

Hi Amiga hardware and os experts,

I would like to have guidance or hints regarding an issue I'm seeing with my game: When I launch it thru CLI, it works. When I launch it thru workbench, with "Show All Files", it works.
But when I added a .icon file, of type Tool, with default stack 4096, it crashes. It displays a blank screen, and nothing happens.

I'm attempting to start looking into initialization code to pinpoint the issue, but would you have "usual suspects" regarding what could make a program fail to load because Workbench launched it as a Tool?
Old 27 January 2023, 23:18   #2
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by remz View Post
Hi Amiga hardware and os experts,

I would like to have guidance or hints regarding an issue I'm seeing with my game: When I launch it thru CLI, it works. When I launch it thru workbench, with "Show All Files", it works.
But when I added a .icon file, of type Tool, with default stack 4096, it crashes. It displays a blank screen, and nothing happens.

I'm attempting to start looking into initialization code to pinpoint the issue, but would you have "usual suspects" regarding what could make a program fail to load because Workbench launched it as a Tool?
I think executable binaries need to have specific wbstartup code linked in them to be launched this way. The other way you ran it from show all files is equivalent to running it in a shell. You can't just randomly give it an icon and expect it to work. You can create an iconx icon to a script to run your executable, however.
Old 27 January 2023, 23:23   #3
a/b

1. Do you handle WB specific startup (get startup message, forbid/reply at the end)?
2. Only have startup/cleanup code active (comment out a call to main or something similar), and see if that works. If it does, startup code is probably ok.
3. Add "tst.w $1234.w" somewhere at start of your program (or anywhere where you want to start debugging), then in winuae debugger add a breakpoint "w 1 1234 2 r", start your program and go through with debugger.
Old 28 January 2023, 02:16   #4
remz

You are definitely right. I switched to doing a dummy script and setting IconX has its default tool: it works. Much simpler than trying to make it WB-friendly.
I am using IconX from wb 1.3 however; because when I tried the version found in wb 2.04, it didn't work on 1.3