English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 28 September 2009, 15:22   #1
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
Lightbulb HOWTO : Toggle autofire from the gamepad, in WinUAE

Hi,

This tip was tested mostly with "shmups", shooters like Menace, or X-Out which I am quite good at (and not so skilled a player for other types of games, like RPGs which is a shame, since there are so many good ones on the miggy).

I use a pair of Microsoft Sidewinder's, and dlfrsilver mocked them since they use the rear MIDI port of the Live!/Audigy soundcards, but they work fine, and their ergonomics still impress me. If you want to know how I installed this port in Windows, whereas it's not enabled by the Creative driver suite and not available via windows Update, just ask .

I assume the following should work for every gamepad for which the drivers are correctly installed in your system.

Last week, I was wondering if it was possible to activate Button 0 Autofire only when I needed it. Sure, if you don't press this button, your spaceship (or your Walkyrie ) will cease fire, which can be of some interest with devices that don't have built-in Autofire.

But there may be circumstances where you might want to "fire at will"
(when approaching boss areas).

Here's how I achieved this :

We will be making modifications to Configuration #1 & 2 - "Your Gamepad" [1] - Input panel. Make sure both are ticked, save them when you're finished, e.g. making an "autofire" profile based on one of your configurations could be a good idea.
  1. First, you will have to notice the Autofire column (third one)
  2. Slowly Double-clicking on "no" will activate autofire for the desired button (note that in your gamepads control panel item, buttons numbering starts with 1).
  3. Set an Autofire rate, 2 -4 or 6. Just setting an low Autofire rate without activating Autofire won't work
  4. Assign "Select Input Configuration #2" to a not in use button
  5. Configuration #2 should be all the same, except no autofire, and another button assigned to "Select Input Configuration #1" to easily revert to Autofire mode.

I couldn't figure how to use a single button to toggle autofire on/off, but anyway your fingers will like to memorize two different buttons, one kill 'em all, one evaluate the situation in cold blood .
Old 28 September 2009, 15:28   #2
TCD

Hmm, why don't you simply assign the second button to fire and set autofire for it? Simple and effective I would say
Old 28 September 2009, 15:37   #3
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
That's because I like to keep shooting enemies with the same button, the aforementioned FIRE button .
Old 28 September 2009, 15:58   #4
TCD

Was just wondering because you mentioned 'gamepad' in the thread title. Anyway, both infos are in here now