English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.aGTW

Old 18 July 2009, 18:29   #321
thalamus

Sadly, I can't do anything with the source code without John/System 3's permission.

Just a thought, though: Psytronik Software are doing a lot of retro releases, maybe they could release Putty Squad...?

Fire up your email program and harass the powers that be

Old 18 July 2009, 18:33   #322
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Sounds like a really good idea. Psytronik/Binary Zone make brilliant new and old game releases. It's worth a try.
Old 18 July 2009, 22:09   #323
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalamus View Post
Well, I haven't read John's interview (I live in Canada - Daz, perhaps you might be able to email me a scan of the interview?), so I can't comment on his side of the story.

Certainly, my company was commissioned to produce the PS2 version of Putty Squad, and for one reason or another that didn't ultimately happen. Damn shame, really, as Nick Lee did an awesome job updating the sprites, Gary Tonge did a superb reworking of the backdrops, and Jon Colling did some truly amazing audio work.

The Amiga 1200 version does exist, albeit in source code format, which I have sitting in a folder on my hard drive as we speak.

I'd still dearly love these new assets to get used in some way or another, but the chances of this happening are slim. Certainly, I have a complete design document for an updated version of the game sitting on my hard drive just waiting for a genie to grant my wish (Nintendo DSI, perhaps...).

The System 3 archives are full of great projects which never saw the light of day, including Last Ninja: The Return (a really incredible project which John Twiddy slaved away on for years; I worked closely with John on the game for about 6 months and it was one of the most productive, professional relationships I've ever had).
Source code? Amiga version??????? Gimme!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll bloody compile it and complete it
Old 18 July 2009, 22:26   #324
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Yes, please!
Old 18 July 2009, 22:55   #325
viddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Source code? Amiga version??????? Gimme!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll bloody compile it and complete it

YES, PLEASE!
Old 19 July 2009, 11:41   #326
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
If this game gets released, i'll be very happy . I love the demo version!
Old 24 July 2009, 13:24   #327
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Sadly, I can't do anything with the source code without John/System 3's permission.
BLAH! Just don't try to see problems where there aren't.
Mr Twiddy has decided to withdraw from every living soul on this planet except for a few close friends who know his whereabouts, so do you think he'll care after all those years?

If he did complain after someone has done something with his source code, he would have to reappear! And since I think he doesn't want that and rather stay obscure, he won't sue anybody but enjoy his incognito instead!

Last edited by andreas; 24 July 2009 at 13:37.
Old 24 July 2009, 19:25   #328
nujack
Zone Friend

Andreas is right. I have bought the issue 64 of RetroGamer, where you can find an interview with John Twiddy and his answer on the Amiga-version/sourcecode was the following:

--- snip
I was never quite clear why it wasn't released, but I think it was decided that there wouldn't be sufficient enough sales.
Over the years I have been contacted by people keen to try and resurrect the code and I do have it somewhere in amongst the archives of old defunct computers somewhere. It would be really nice to resurrect it with the appropriate emulator. Whether or not there's an opportunity to do something with it specifically I don't know.
--- snap

and on the following question he answered:

--- snip
RG: Wouldn't it just be a case of creating it on an ADF file for people to use?
JT: Well I had my own development system that I was using when I was working on it. I had all the files loading off hard drives, so I believe I have all the component parts. I also had my own disk loading system, so it's a case of remembering how it all worked, as I don't actually have a primary disk of it.
--- snap

With this answer I don't believe that he is doing something with this game in the future. The data will be lost some day forever, which is a shame.
@thalamus: If you have the sources/images/maps and if you are able to compile it, please do it. If you think you need the aggreement from John, why not ask him directly? I'm sure that the magazin can help you with contacts of John Twiddy.
So please help the Amiga-Community to get this game released.
Old 24 July 2009, 19:43   #329
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Pwetty please stop teasing and unleash the source code! Don't let it just sit there, do the RIGHT thing!
Old 25 July 2009, 03:53   #330
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
nujack: Thanks for the support.
Old 26 July 2009, 10:05   #331
derSammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002 View Post
Pwetty please stop teasing and unleash the source code!
This is exactly the attitude that makes people like him never visit the forums again. If he doesn't legally own the rights to the game and code, it's just plain stupid to prompt him to leak it.
Old 26 July 2009, 13:30   #332
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcGTW_Webmaster View Post
This is exactly the attitude that makes people like him never visit the forums again. If he doesn't legally own the rights to the game and code, it's just plain stupid to prompt him to leak it.
I'm just eager to play the damn game on Amiga and expressing it. And i'm surely not the only one here wanting it. Come on, it's a game from 1995! Who else but we care if it's released on Amiga. Would you want to see it go to waste?

As i've understood all that's needed is the permission to compile it, so let's get the ball rollin'!
Old 29 July 2009, 13:29   #333
Marlon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002 View Post
I'm just eager to play the damn game on Amiga and expressing it. And i'm surely not the only one here wanting it. Come on, it's a game from 1995! Who else but we care if it's released on Amiga. Would you want to see it go to waste?

As i've understood all that's needed is the permission to compile it, so let's get the ball rollin'!
What he said.
Old 29 July 2009, 14:10   #334
Adropac2
Zone Friend

I can definitely see this being lost and what giant total cock up that would be as this is one of Amiga's finest examples of a fun game

The whole thing is idiotic if you ask me

A very sad day when it's finally announced that due to whatever the stupid reason is, Putty Squad wont in fact ever be released
Old 29 July 2009, 15:39   #335
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

As much as many amiga (& EAB), fans would love to see any source code somehow be revived into a workable Putty Squad it has to remembered that the original code would probably still be considered the property of System 3 /Mark Cale.
And if history seems to be any guide if Mark Cale suspects it can be remade (& sold for profit), then it'll be the next ice age before we'd ever see it. (Even if it could be done). I'm not saying I wouldn't want to see it-after all look at Snow Bros Amiga-I'm just suggesting Mark Cale probably has been a factor in just why the miggy version remained buried after all this time.

@Thalmus
Out of interest, what were the factors that saw the likes of PS2 Putty get cancelled,& indeed The Last Ninja Return you mentioned?
Old 19 October 2009, 05:55   #336
Jonathan Drain

Quote:
The System 3 archives are full of great projects which never saw the light of day, including Last Ninja: The Return (a really incredible project which John Twiddy slaved away on for years; I worked closely with John on the game for about 6 months and it was one of the most productive, professional relationships I've ever had).
Did anything ever come of the prophecied Myth sequel, Dawn of Steel?
Old 05 December 2009, 13:49   #337
ancalimon
Supernormal

bump?
Old 05 December 2009, 16:13   #338
viddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancalimon View Post
bump?
LOL!

The year is 2015 and do you know what?!

...bump!
Old 05 December 2009, 23:26   #339
kriz

That it is still on the harddrive is a shame, will we ever see it ??
Old 06 December 2009, 15:35   #340
plasmatron
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
That it is still on the harddrive is a shame, will we ever see it ??

Who cares Play the SNES version.