English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 14 June 2009, 16:44   #1
markpage
MarkPage

Roll eyes (sarcastic) Problem With Jit Settings

Hi all, i was wondering if anyone could help me with a small problem ive been having with WinUAE.
I have a Workbench (Scalos) installation with many installed Whdload games, some old Amiga 500 and some more modern like Amiga Quake.
My "Advanced Jit Settings" are set in favour of Amiga Doom and Amiga Quake etc, and also my Scalos installation which requires these settings, so in order to get the A500 games to work correctly, ive edited the tooltype for each game using the following:-

ExecuteStartup=uae-configuration cpu_speed real cachesize 0
ExecuteCleanup=uae-configuration cpu_speed max cachesize 8192

This fixes the timing issue ok for the A500 games and resets everything back to normal for Desktop when quitting except one thing, which is the "Direct/Indirect" option under Advanced Jit Settings. I need it to go back to "Direct" without having to re-load WinUAE. Is there someway to alter this setting through the "Startup-sequence" file. Ive already added this line:-

uae-configuration cpu_speed max cachesize 8192

But this also didn't work.
Old 14 June 2009, 18:21   #2
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpage View Post

This fixes the timing issue ok for the A500 games and resets everything back to normal for Desktop when quitting except one thing, which is the "Direct/Indirect" option under Advanced Jit Settings. I need it to go back to "Direct" without having to re-load WinUAE. Is there someway to alter this setting through the "Startup-sequence" file. Ive already added this line:-
I dont know if its all needed, but I use these line :-
ExecuteStartup=C:UAE cachesize 0 finegrain_cpu_speed 1024 cpu_compatible true
ExecuteCleanup=C:UAE cachesize 8192 cpu_speed max win32.cpu_idle 30 comp_trustbyte direct comp_trustword direct comp_trustlong direct comp_trustnaddr direct

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 14 June 2009 at 20:16. Reason: Quote tag fixed
Old 14 June 2009, 20:49   #3
hexaae
Bug hunter

Unfortunately there is no rule for WHDLoad games under WUAE: it's generally good to disable JIT-caches but some games may require 'immediate_blits false/true' etc...
I use in S:WhdLoad_cleanup (will be executed when a game exits, no need* to specify for each one ExecuteCleanup=...):

C:uae-configuration immediate_blits true cachesize 8192 cpu_speed max comp_trustbyte direct comp_trustword direct comp_trustlong direct

or that from Mad-Matt is equally very good.

In S:WHDLoad_startup:

C:uae-configuration cachesize 0

as a general rule... but as I said above some games require a proper ExecuteStartup=... (specifying this tooltype the S:WHDLoad_startup will be ignored) where I enable caches for slow games, immediate blitter off, or I use WUAE's option 'finegrain_cpu_speed xxxx', 'cpu_speed real' etc...

*obviously you have to edit S:WHLoad.prefs:
ExecuteStartup=S:WHDLoad_start ;command to execute on WHDLoad startup
ExecuteCleanup=S:WHDLoad_cleanup ;command to execute on WHDLoad exit

Last edited by hexaae; 14 June 2009 at 20:55.
Old 14 June 2009, 22:18   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I thought this was fixed long time ago. Apparently not
In next version old "direct" mode setting will be remembered when switching JIT off.
Old 14 June 2009, 22:25   #5
markpage
MarkPage

Thanks to all for ya help, but what i need is a command to put in the startup-sequence to set the "direct/indirect" option to direct, just this. Ive tried to incorporate these commands you guys have shown me but when editing the startup sequence, it only allows the lines to be so long before starting a new line meaning im limited to how many commands i can put on one line, so it needs to be short and precise.
Old 14 June 2009, 22:52   #6
hexaae
Bug hunter

Just don't use AmigaOS std C:Ed that truncates long lines but any other ASCII text editor from Aminet... like this one: http://aminet.net/text/edit/Annotate.lha
Old 14 June 2009, 22:54   #7
hexaae
Bug hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
I thought this was fixed long time ago. Apparently not
In next version old "direct" mode setting will be remembered when switching JIT off.
Great! So we can finally forget those 'comp_trustbyte direct...' commands if we switch off and then on JIT!
Old 15 June 2009, 01:20   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexaae View Post
Just don't use AmigaOS std C:Ed that truncates long lines but any other ASCII text editor from Aminet... like this one: http://aminet.net/text/edit/Annotate.lha
Thanks for the link, hexaae!
Old 15 June 2009, 14:41   #9
nikvest
Vertigo User

Is it possible for someone to put an example of this procedure?

I don't quite understand how it works (please, provide specific locations and instructions; e.g. where to put, what tooltype, exactly what directory I need to refer to etc).
Old 15 June 2009, 17:45   #10
markpage
MarkPage

Thanks for everybody's help, thanks to you ive sorted it. on the games tooltype ive got:-

I just added this to the end of second line:-

comp_trustbyte direct

Now when i quit back to workbench, the cpu is set back to direct.
The other problem i had was when a game is loaded, and you do an amiga reset, the second line in the whdload tooltype gets skipped meaning that the emulator is still set in A500 mode which is too slow to run Scalos workbench. I fixed this by putting the following in the Startup-sequence:-

uae-configuration cachesize 8192 cpu_speed max win32.cpu_idle 0
uae-configuration comp_trustbyte direct

This fixes it so that everythings resets back to my default winUAE cpu settings.

Thanks again.
Old 15 June 2009, 17:52   #11
markpage
MarkPage

Hi Nikvest, i will get back to you on detailed instructions so keep checking back.
Old 15 June 2009, 21:07   #12
markpage
MarkPage

This is to Nikvest.(Or anyone who might need it).

To edit a games "Tooltype", load up Workbench, left click once on a games picture icon, then hold right mouse button down and hover mouse pointer over "Icons" option at the top of the screen, move mouse pointer down to "Information" and let go of button. A menu will pop up, in the menu click on "Tooltypes" tab and in the window there might already be some tooltype commands, if there is click on the last one and then click on "New" to enter a new one.
Next to where you clicked "New" you will see "(new)" in the window, delete this and type the following:-

Then press Return and the Tooltype will appear in the window under the others. This sets the hardware for running A500 games, now we need to make sure that the hardware is set back when we quit the game, so type this :-

ExecuteCleanup=uae-configuration cpu_speed max cachesize 8192 comp_trustbyte direct

Then press Return. This command will execute on exiting the game, unless you do an Amiga Reset while the game is running, in which case the second line will be skipped but i'll get to that in a moment.

Once you've finished entering the lines, hold right mouse button down and select "Save" from the top left menu list. The tooltype is now saved.

As i mentioned above, when doing an Amiga Reset while game is running, the Cleanup process is skipped meaning that your WinUAE CPU settings will not be returned, this means your workbench won't be able to load back, especially if your using a modern Workbench installation or replacement.
To fix this problem you need to edit the Workbench's "Startup-sequence", to do this load Workbench and double click on the "System" drive, or whatever you've called it, then double click on the "System" folder, then double click the "Shell" icon to load the shell. A small window will open and you will be prompted to enter text so type the following at the prompt:-

ed s:startup-sequence

The "Startup-sequence" file will open in a text window, all entries that start with ";" are not actually commands but just notes or reminders, so at the start of the text, directly underneath any of these notes, type the following:-

The second line will switch the "Direct/Indirect" option under Advanced Jit Settings back to "Direct". I am of course assuming that this is what your CPU settings are set to, to be honest, if you are using a modern Workbench installation, i would recommend these settings as you will benefit from them if your PC is good.

Hope this helps in some way, also, look over the posts that other's have put here, you might find some useful info.
Old 15 June 2009, 21:18   #13
prowler
Global Moderator

Thanks for that great effort, markpage!
Old 15 June 2009, 21:28   #14
markpage
MarkPage

Your welcome.
Old 15 June 2009, 22:37   #15
markpage
MarkPage

To any newcomers looking to install Workbench on a virtual amiga hardrive, check out this address, this is where i learnt to do it.

http://guide.abime.net/wbsetup.htm

It will show you a lot of great things, if any of the links give you a problem, try finding what you need at:-

http://aminet.net/

Everything needed for this tutorial is freeware, except Workbench Disk images, your on your own for that one im afraid as i think they are still copyright protected.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by markpage; 15 June 2009 at 23:09.
Old 16 June 2009, 02:53   #16
nikvest
Vertigo User

Thank you very much for your help.

I will start redoing my game collection... NOW.
Old 16 June 2009, 03:16   #17
markpage
MarkPage

Here's a great trick i came up with for all you with an Amiga Workbench installation, assuming your using WinUAE of course.

Creating Desktop Executable for Amiga Workbench
===============================================

This will take just a few seconds, at the end you will be able to double click
the desktop shortcut to load Amiga Workbench rather than keep loading WinUAE and
double clicking the config.

Go into your "WinUAE/configurations" folder and right click on the configuration.uae
text file and select "Properties". Next to where it says "Opens With", click "Change"
Button and select the "WinUAE" executable then click "OK".

Now right click again on the configuration.uae file and this time select "Create Shortcut".
Now right click the shortcut and select "Properties", now click the "Change Icon" button
and then click on "Browse" and browse your way to the "WinUAE" executable and double click it to select it's icon, then click "OK" and drag the shotcut to the desktop and rename it "Amiga" or whatever you want. Now double click to boot Amiga Workbench.

Easy peasy, no more loading WinUAE.
Old 16 June 2009, 08:21   #18
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

In the newer versions of WinUAE, .uae files are already associated with WinUAE, so no need to create the association yourself. Just creating the shortcut is enough. Make sure that in your config the checkbox 'Show GUI on startup' on the 'Miscellaneous' panel is not set.
Old 16 June 2009, 13:56   #19
nikvest
Vertigo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpage View Post
This is to Nikvest.(Or anyone who might need it).

To edit a games "Tooltype", load up Workbench, left click once on a games picture icon, then hold right mouse button down and hover mouse pointer over "Icons" option at the top of the screen, move mouse pointer down to "Information" and let go of button. A menu will pop up, in the menu click on "Tooltypes" tab and in the window there might already be some tooltype commands, if there is click on the last one and then click on "New" to enter a new one.
Next to where you clicked "New" you will see "(new)" in the window, delete this and type the following:-

Then press Return and the Tooltype will appear in the window under the others. This sets the hardware for running A500 games, now we need to make sure that the hardware is set back when we quit the game, so type this :-

ExecuteCleanup=uae-configuration cpu_speed max cachesize 8192 comp_trustbyte direct

Then press Return. This command will execute on exiting the game, unless you do an Amiga Reset while the game is running, in which case the second line will be skipped but i'll get to that in a moment.

Once you've finished entering the lines, hold right mouse button down and select "Save" from the top left menu list. The tooltype is now saved.

As i mentioned above, when doing an Amiga Reset while game is running, the Cleanup process is skipped meaning that your WinUAE CPU settings will not be returned, this means your workbench won't be able to load back, especially if your using a modern Workbench installation or replacement.
To fix this problem you need to edit the Workbench's "Startup-sequence", to do this load Workbench and double click on the "System" drive, or whatever you've called it, then double click on the "System" folder, then double click the "Shell" icon to load the shell. A small window will open and you will be prompted to enter text so type the following at the prompt:-

ed s:startup-sequence

The "Startup-sequence" file will open in a text window, all entries that start with ";" are not actually commands but just notes or reminders, so at the start of the text, directly underneath any of these notes, type the following:-

The second line will switch the "Direct/Indirect" option under Advanced Jit Settings back to "Direct". I am of course assuming that this is what your CPU settings are set to, to be honest, if you are using a modern Workbench installation, i would recommend these settings as you will benefit from them if your PC is good.

Hope this helps in some way, also, look over the posts that other's have put here, you might find some useful info.
Well, not working for me...

By the way, I don't need noob tutorial with such extreme detail. I know a thing or two about Amiga and Workbench. It's just... this tooltype thing isn't working for me. I tried to create ExecuteStartup and ExecuteCleanup in S: as well, but then a get information that it is impossible to complete the tasks I stated in those scripts.

I actually wanted you to give me a clear example of one game. Meaning: if the game is Apidya, am I:

- supposed to use ExecuteStartup=uae-configuration or ExecuteStartup=Apidya in the tooltype itself
- should I make any specific configurations within WinUAE itself (I used 68040 processor, with JIT already enabled)
- what is this talk about C:UAE somewhere up this topic... am I supposed to state actual PC directory structure or what??

Bottom line... it doesn't work for me yet. I need a clear example for one game.
Old 16 June 2009, 14:44   #20
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
unless you really want to set settings on a per game basis, id stick to using s:whdload.prefs just to keep things simple.

C:UAE is just renamed uae-configuration in C dir, just to keep things simple ...for me

theres a very short limit on how much you can parse to whdload so it helps to keep text short as possible