English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 05 August 2018, 23:11   #1
roondar

Question Command line image conversion tools

This is a question I didn't anticipate asking, but after a bunch of googling and searches over here on eab.abime.net.... I'm kinda stuck.

I'm looking for a MS Windows command line image converter that allows .iff (ILBM) to 8-bit BMP* conversions. Somehow this seems very hard to find.

I did find several command line tools, but none of them seem to support ILBM as input format. I tried using Irfanview, which does do the conversion from the command line but screws up the palette entries and hence bitplane order. I also found at least one GUI based package that seems to allows for it, but I'm looking to include the conversion into a makefile so GUI only isn't very helpful.

The two features it really should have is a) support for all OCS screen modes (standard, HAM, EHB) and b) it should keep all colours of the Amiga IFF palette intact and in the same order.

Hopefully someone here knows of a good candidate?

*) well, I'd prefer one that does a conversion to a raw interleaved bitmap, but that seems right out. However, I do have BMP2RAW from the Solid Gold Source, so conversion to 8-bit BMP will also do as that tool deals with the second step extremely well.
Old 06 August 2018, 03:20   #2
haps
Rumpig

I would imagine Image Magick should be able to do it.
Old 06 August 2018, 10:13   #3
roondar

Thanks for your suggestion!

I have downloaded it and tried it but sadly, it turns out it doesn't support IFF or ILBM formats. It supports just about anything else, but not IFF's
Old 07 August 2018, 02:05   #4
roondar

An update: after messing around with libiff and libilbm, I managed to make an IFF reading version of BMPToRaw from the Solid Gold Source. Does the exact same thing, command line included, as BMPToRaw, but uses IFF ILBM files for input.

If people are interested, I am more than willing to share the code - ugly as it is.
Old 07 August 2018, 09:44   #5
PeterK

You could also try ImageConverter from Thilo Koehler, which once was on Aminet and on his homepage http://www.hd-rec.de, but isn't anymore. It seems to support both formats, but I'm not sure whether it will do what you need. It runs on OS 3.x and it's still there, but hidden. Just execute ImageConverter to see the command syntax with all options.

http://www.hd-rec.de/Archive/ImageConverter.lha

Another candidate:
http://aminet.net/package/gfx/conv/iBatch

Last edited by PeterK; 07 August 2018 at 10:27.
Old 07 August 2018, 10:28   #6
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

He's looking for a Windows tool: "I'm looking for a MS Windows command line image converter".
Old 07 August 2018, 10:37   #7
PeterK

Yes, I've read that, but why not using the Amiga if it's difficult to find a solution for Windows. It was just a hint, not even tested.
Old 07 August 2018, 11:56   #8
roondar

Thanks for the suggestions, but I really did need a Windows tool. Having a Windows tools allows me to automate the conversion when making the project, so I don't need manually do one part on the Amiga side and the rest on the Windows side. It's all about efficiency, really.

Anyway, I no longer need a tool - I've made one using some the source code to other tools (BMPToRaw/libiff/libilbm) and a bit of C coding.

Still, it's good to know there are command line Amiga alternatives, should I need them
Old 14 April 2021, 15:31   #9
jfoust

Did you ever post your Windows ILBM to JPEG converter code? I was looking for something like that.

I think ImageMagick once had ILBM support but they dropped it from the main distribution at some point, and I have not yet found an easy resource to see the old versions.
Old 14 April 2021, 15:45   #10
roondar

Ah, I see what you mean now. Consider my earlier answer to the private message unsent

See, my code doesn't actually convert ILBM to JPEG. It converts ILMB to raw bitplane data for use in Amiga assembly projects.
Old 14 April 2021, 17:06   #11
DamienD
Banned

Without checking, maybe XnView MP has this ability?
Old 14 April 2021, 18:50   #12
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, but I really did need a Windows tool. Having a Windows tools allows me to automate the conversion when making the project, so I don't need manually do one part on the Amiga side and the rest on the Windows side. It's all about efficiency, really.[...]
With the help of a shared folder, you can also launch a WinUAE instance that will automatically perform the conversion (amiga app) and quit before you retrieve the result on the PC side. Still valid in your 'use case' .

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
[...] Anyway, I no longer need a tool - I've made one using some the source code to other tools (BMPToRaw/libiff/libilbm) and a bit of C coding.
Still, it's good to know there are command line Amiga alternatives, should I need them
Old 14 April 2021, 21:52   #13
mrv2k

I use NConvert command line tool to batch convert my images. It'll convert any format (including iff/ilbm) to any other with full image processing.
Old 17 August 2021, 01:38   #14
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Can anyone recommend any software for this?

command line convert iff to any pc file format.
Old 17 August 2021, 08:27   #15
mrv2k

NConvert https://www.xnview.com/en/nconvert/

Example

Code:
nconvert -out png mypic.iff
It will batch converting and has full image processing. It's also free.
Old 17 August 2021, 10:57   #16
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrv2k View Post
NConvert https://www.xnview.com/en/nconvert/

Example

Code:
nconvert -out png mypic.iff
It will batch converting and has full image processing. It's also free.
Thanks Ill have a look later, I did see your other post it's just I saw your other post and did a search and some sad there were problems with IFF
Old 17 August 2021, 12:43   #17
mrv2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
Thanks Ill have a look later, I did see your other post it's just I saw your other post and did a search and some sad there were problems with IFF
Never had a problem. I use it to make about 24,000 IFF files when I make my WHDload image set. Just need to add -c 1 to the command so the the IFFs are compressed.