English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 24 November 2022, 11:20   #1
jman

PowerPoint-like application for slides

hello, I've been toying with the idea of making a simple slideshow for a meetup talk using an unexpanded (or slightly expanded) A600/1200.

The software should allow to add simple drawings, text, embed images, simple animations. Quality output of course in line with the limits of the hardware.

A quick search leads to relatively complex software like ScalaMM/ScalaIC, Hollywood. I'd like to focus on the presentation rather than learning a tool. Is there anything like a Pen Pal-like application for that?

thanks!
Old 24 November 2022, 11:24   #2
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Albeit Scala is complex, it has quite low resource-needs and easy to build any presentation-kind of thing. I'd recommend that to get into it. You'll find that it is really easy to use.
Old 24 November 2022, 12:18   #3
Daedalus

Another vote for ScalaMM. While the interface and approaches are of an era, it's actually quite capable and doesn't really take that long to get to grips with. You need to take into account the relative complexity of Powerpoint and what it does in the background to make your life as easy as possible, but I strongly recommend having a look at it. Scala MM400 is the most recent version (InfoChannel is slightly different in intent but is also worth trying), and in more recent times I've used it to run workshops and make presentations at a number of presentations at various Amiga events.

Here are the slides of one such presentation, converted for web viewing. It should give you an idea of capability and expectation. I didn't make use of any animations or sounds, but they can be added easily too.

The experience will be much nicer on an AGA machine as the extra colours allow better mapping of images and better font anti-aliasing, and while requirements are minimal, some of the transitions do benefit from some extra CPU power and RAM.

A simpler option to consider might be an animation created in DPaint, PPaint or similar.
Old 24 November 2022, 15:06   #4
jman

hey, thanks for the replies: ok, I will definitively try ScalaMM

Especially thanks to Daedalus for the example, that's exactly what I would like to achieve (and congrats for your Amiga collection!).

While my A600 is stock, I think I have an A1200/030 with a little bump in RAM so it should be comfy with some a bit more bells and whistles.

cheers!