English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 31 August 2022, 08:47   #41
DisasterIncarna

cheers for trying it, glad nothing major broke.
Old 11 September 2022, 23:07   #42
patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
AGET need Amissl? Can't be true, I got it on a single bootdisk with a ribbed TCP/IP-stack, and it works fine without it.
....unless something changed very recently. I know it now has support for it, but don't think it's required unless you're using https.
Correct - aget will only attempt to open the AmiSSL library if you ask it to download using an encrypted connection ( https:// or gemini:// ).
Old 11 September 2022, 23:21   #43
DisasterIncarna

new version of GUI coming up soon, my 4th test version introduced more features and more bugs due to those features and are being ironed out, only 1 left that i know of (which will ofc turn into many more once others try it out) and i can release the 5th test version, i will see if remix.kwed.org accepts http or only https i didnt even think to try http as my browsers always default or are forced into https so that issue bypassed me at the time.
Old 14 September 2022, 08:50   #44
spoUP

We are adding support for asciiarena.se to uhc now, get that ui ready
Old 15 September 2022, 01:40   #45
DisasterIncarna

nice to hear, more stuff is good stuff.
Old 16 September 2022, 00:47   #46
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoUP View Post
We are adding support for asciiarena.se to uhc now, get that ui ready
added and working, just gotta fix my new bugs related to ui scaling and the new options i added and im clear for the new version, soon(tm).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UHCGUI-Preview1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	76578  
Old 17 September 2022, 02:22   #47
DisasterIncarna

new version to find bugs and issues is up on the first post, hopefully removed more bugs than i added in and the UHC-Tools devs recently added support to download from Ascii Arena which i have added to the list of download sites.

again as always this update "works for me".
Old 18 September 2022, 03:23   #48
DisasterIncarna

another new version uploaded on original page.

Minor Changes 18th Sept:
- Added modules.pl to list of Download Sites to match recent addition from UHC-Tools authors.

Quick note: until i find a way around it, modules.pl output does not display a full filename in its search output so i cannot predict if the downloaded file is an archive or raw file so the Auto/Get/Extract option defaults to "Get" until i find a solution thats not overkill.

Looks like it was a bad time for me to submit the previous version to aminet, lol, ill leave future aminet updates to cook for a while rather than bombard them with updates and stick to update bombardment here for now.
Old 18 September 2022, 12:51   #49
Swe_Kryten2x4b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
another new version uploaded on original page.

Minor Changes 18th Sept:
Nice work! It works perfectly fine for me, and very nice to able to save download path and get/extrat state.

As far as I'm concerned, UHC-Tools and UHC-GUI should be considered essential software to have installed on an Amiga that is connected to the Internet.
Old 18 September 2022, 14:18   #50
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swe_Kryten2x4b View Post
Nice work! It works perfectly fine for me, and very nice to able to save download path and get/extrat state.

As far as I'm concerned, UHC-Tools and UHC-GUI should be considered essential software to have installed on an Amiga that is connected to the Internet.
For me at least UHC-Tools is 1 of those things i found out about probably far too late, not sure when they first got added to aminet, but damn after i did find it and started using it, it quickly became 1 of those "where have you been all my life" type of things, i use it pretty much all the time and it certainly beats using my previous alternative methods for getting the files i need.

I saw a recent post where someone was mentioning what a ballache it is to update a fresh workbench install from scratch, these tools make this process so much easier, with some work an installer could even be made using these tools to automagically download things considered essential, must have, etc direct into a fresh workbench install without having to go through many native installers for each individual download (and some installers wreck your updated files), just downloading and copying the correct files direct from aminet, its something worth looking at and i might knock up some test scripts 1 day for that purpose, maybe someone else will manage something in the meantime.

Last edited by DisasterIncarna; 18 September 2022 at 14:23.
Old 18 September 2022, 22:05   #51
Swe_Kryten2x4b

Indeed. I found about uhc just 6 months ago or so, but it has proved to be indispensible.

I really like the idea of using it to automate some installs - sort of like the amiga-version of apt-get. I suck at programming (scripting or otherwise) otherwise I would be tempted to try it myself. Okay, I can make some scripts or small things that helps me but I tend to take how my system is setup for granted so they might not necessarily be a good idea to run on another system...
Old 18 September 2022, 22:42   #52
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swe_Kryten2x4b View Post
Indeed. I found about uhc just 6 months ago or so, but it has proved to be indispensible.

I really like the idea of using it to automate some installs - sort of like the amiga-version of apt-get. I suck at programming (scripting or otherwise) otherwise I would be tempted to try it myself. Okay, I can make some scripts or small things that helps me but I tend to take how my system is setup for granted so they might not necessarily be a good idea to run on another system...
still a good idea for a blank slate workbench, you dont have to worry about breaking an already setup workbench if you state your script is for a blank/fresh install.
Old 18 September 2022, 23:02   #53
EctoOne

Quote:
I saw a recent post where someone was mentioning what a ballache it is to update a fresh workbench install from scratch, these tools make this process so much easier, with some work an installer could even be made using these tools to automagically download things considered essential, must have, etc direct into a fresh workbench install without having to go through many native installers for each individual download (and some installers wreck your updated files), just downloading and copying the correct files direct from aminet, its something worth looking at and i might knock up some test scripts 1 day for that purpose, maybe someone else will manage something in the meantime.
I've started writing a modular installer script utilizing HTTPResume a while back. It downloaded lha.run from Aminet first, extracted it and copied it to C.
Then it scanned a directory for more script files, which then got downloaded and installed.
But I never really put much work into it, it was a bit annoying to write all the copy routines for just the minimum needed files while keeping in mind which package has older/buggy versions of libraries and such.

I still like the idea, but I think the effort is to big. And then there's also the issue with "what is considered essential?"
Also you still need a way to release such an installer. If you compress it, you need a way to unpack it. If you just supply the script, you need a tool to download the files.

PS: Thanks for the update. I will see if I can find some time to test it.
Old 18 September 2022, 23:20   #54
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by EctoOne View Post
I've started writing a modular installer script utilizing HTTPResume a while back. It downloaded lha.run from Aminet first, extracted it and copied it to C.
Then it scanned a directory for more script files, which then got downloaded and installed.
But I never really put much work into it, it was a bit annoying to write all the copy routines for just the minimum needed files while keeping in mind which package has older/buggy versions of libraries and such.

I still like the idea, but I think the effort is to big. And then there's also the issue with "what is considered essential?"
Also you still need a way to release such an installer. If you compress it, you need a way to unpack it. If you just supply the script, you need a tool to download the files.

PS: Thanks for the update. I will see if I can find some time to test it.
sounds like some kind of package manager + installer combo is in order, something like Synaptic on linux or whatever is newer/better.
Old 18 September 2022, 23:38   #55
EctoOne

Quote:
sounds like some kind of package manager + installer combo is in order, something like Synaptic on linux or whatever is newer/better.
God I would love to see something like Synaptic for Amiga.

Anyway. I just tried your update and it still requires AmiSSL for KWED because it seems to redirect HTTP to HTTPS.

Code:
Buffer size: 128kB
Connected to remix.kwed.org:80
Sent GET request!
Server response: 301 Moved Permanently
Redirecting to: https://remix.kwed.org/search/test
Connected to remix.kwed.org:443
Couldn't open amisslmaster.library v4
UHC:C/AGET failed returncode 10
Old 19 September 2022, 00:16   #56
DisasterIncarna

possibly the website itsself forcing the issue? i assume a redirect is a server side thing.
Old 19 September 2022, 01:10   #57
EctoOne

Yeah, even if I use http instead of https in a normal browser it redirects to https.

Thanks for trying to fix it though. I have no idea if there is another way to not use https.
Old 19 September 2022, 01:21   #58
patrik

Quote:
possibly the website itsself forcing the issue? i assume a redirect is a server side thing.
Yes. It would not hurt to ask them if http could be allowed.
Old 19 September 2022, 14:29   #59
EctoOne

I was just thinking about continuing working on the whole essentials install thing. And since I already went with the idea to create a separate script for each program/file, I thought that it might be possible to release such installer on a adf. With that it would be possible to provide any necessary tools (like HTTPResume) and it does not require any way to unpack the whole package.

I will see if I can put together a basic set of scripts and figure out if it would fit on a adf disk.

Anyway, while thinking about this I noticed that I need a better way to get direct links especially from Aminet. And I was hoping that you could add a way to copy those links, preferably directly to the clipboard, in your GUI.
Old 19 September 2022, 20:03   #60
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by EctoOne View Post
I was just thinking about continuing working on the whole essentials install thing. And since I already went with the idea to create a separate script for each program/file, I thought that it might be possible to release such installer on a adf. With that it would be possible to provide any necessary tools (like HTTPResume) and it does not require any way to unpack the whole package.

I will see if I can put together a basic set of scripts and figure out if it would fit on a adf disk.

Anyway, while thinking about this I noticed that I need a better way to get direct links especially from Aminet. And I was hoping that you could add a way to copy those links, preferably directly to the clipboard, in your GUI.
Feature requests? nice idea, ill find a way to add that soon(tm).