English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 November 2022, 07:01   #1
Tavis

Amiga 2000 - First keypress after boot not registering

Hello all,

For some reason after a fresh cold boot up, when I open any editor or dialog box etc where I can type on the keyboard, the first keypress is not registered and that "wakes up" the keyboard and then I am good to go and can type away..

Any ideas what might be causing this?

for example iff I boot up the machine and then open a CLI window and type "ed myfilename" what will appear on the screen is "d myfilename".

???
Old 26 November 2022, 15:50   #2
thebajaguy

Simple things come to mind:
Swap the 8520's (one could have an issue, and the problem may go elsewhere as a result). May also clear some oxidation on the pins.
Was the area damaged by any battery leakage?
Old 26 November 2022, 17:30   #3
Tavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebajaguy View Post
Simple things come to mind:
Swap the 8520's (one could have an issue, and the problem may go elsewhere as a result). May also clear some oxidation on the pins.
Was the area damaged by any battery leakage?
Lol where do I begin. Short answer yes. This machine had major issues and I spent months off and on repairing it. I have already replaced one bad CIA. It’s passing all of the tests in Amiga test kit.

But as far as this machines condition, I’ve removed the corroded battery and replaced with a button cell battery, replaced or deoxidized chips, sockets, scrubbed the board down with vinegar and alchohol, repaired broken traces from battery damage, replaced the bad Agnus chip.. formatted the hard drives and reinstalled all the software, the list goes on. I just noticed the keyboard issue…

The good outcome is now I’ve learned a lot about Amigas ha!
Old 26 November 2022, 17:39   #4
Tavis

I was mainly wondering if it’s something that just cropped up from me installing software.
I just put whdload on and an SDBox sd card drive that works through the parallel port. So I’ve got some new drivers in dev: and added some scripts to user-startup to mount it. Was wondering if that might be related or not. I’ve also made the floppy drive external and swapped it with a Gotek.

I’m pretty sure I’ve booted from a floppy though and had the same issue. I will double check that.
Old 26 November 2022, 17:42   #5
Tavis

Oh. AND I dropped the damn (was perfectly mint) keyboard onto the concrete floor which busted two key caps and cracked the corner. (Uhg still pissed about that) and hoping THAT doesn’t have something to do with it.
Old 27 November 2022, 11:53   #6
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavis View Post
For some reason after a fresh cold boot up, when I open any editor or dialog box etc where I can type on the keyboard, the first keypress is not registered and that "wakes up" the keyboard and then I am good to go and can type away..

Any ideas what might be causing this?
Perhaps it's this problem if it is an early board: Rev. 4.2 (to solve first keystroke problem delete C910/C911)
Old 27 November 2022, 13:19   #7
Tavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Perhaps it's this problem if it is an early board: Rev. 4.2 (to solve first keystroke problem delete C910/C911)
What is c910 and c911? The caps on the board?
Mine is a rev 6 board.

Last edited by Tavis; 27 November 2022 at 13:26.
Old 27 November 2022, 14:48   #8
Jope
-

Rev 6 shouldn't have this particular problem, the fix is related to 4.1 and older boards.

They are caps, yes.