English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 September 2007, 11:33   #1
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Using Projector with Amiga and Amiga gfx card

Wonder if anyone is using a projector with their amigas?

I want to be able for the projector to display ALL amiga screenmodes. I know that most support SVideo and composite, but the quality is a lot worse than being able to use the VGA input on these projectors, and would not handle non-15Khz or non-50/60Hz modes.

I would like it to support at very least 320x200 NTSC/320x256 PAL up to 1024x768 from my Picasso IV. And if possible up to 1600x1200 from the Picasso IV. Useful for both text and games. I am looking at native resolution of 1024x768 therefore, and LCD seems to be better than DLP for text use.

Many say they support and range of resolutions and specific resolutions and a range of vertical (ie. 50-120Hz) and horizontal scan rates (i.e. 15-100kHz), but I have no idea if they can support the in-between resolutions (i.e. 1152x864 or custom) or 15khz through the VGA connector.

Ones I am looking at so far:
Epson Powerlite 76c/77c/83c
Hitachi CP-X253
Viewsonic PJ358
Canon LV-X6/X7

Any help appreciated!
Old 22 September 2007, 14:10   #2
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Hi,
I'm using a Benq PB2250 - bloody good projector for the price!

Important comments:
-Always go for the DLP projectors in your chosen price range! The image quality + brightness is so much better. The thing about LCD's being sharper is honestly not an issue. You can tell on a side-by-side comparison but not in daily use.
-BUT! Make sure you see a DLP in action before you buy!!! Why? For most people it's fine but a minority of people see funny after-images with a DLP & get headaches! You want to make sure you're not one of the minority whose eyeballs don't get on with DLP.
-Ceiling-mount as soon as you can! It's amazing how fast the bulbs blow ( expensive ) if it's moved much!
-eBay for good mounts far less expensive than OEM ones!

Amiga use?
Looking @ the specs:
PB2250

It looks like it will sync down to Amiga output for s-video & component but probably not VGA - I think most projectors will be the same...

What do I do?
CD32: S-Video to PC Tv Card. PC to projector VGA-> Quality is very good if not perfect!
A1200: RTG - No problem with VGA! - That's me. AGA? Maybe you'll be lucky with a simple Amiga-video->VGA adapter... Some projectors can do. I'm afraid I can't test as I don't have a Amiga-video->VGA adapter. I suspect an Amiga-video->Component adapter may be more likely to work.
As you probably know there are lots of threads here on the subject of matching AGA output to 'modern' devices.

Not a complete answer, but I hope helps a bit.

P.S.
You need a projector screen! Problem is they are often more expensive than the projector!!!
Make your own! There's plenty of guides on the 'net.

Briefly:
Plan a:
Make a wooden frame the size you want.
Buy some white black-out curtain-liner material.
Stretch over frame. ( as if you are making a canvass for painting )
Cover some lengths of skirting with black velvet to go round the edges.
You may want to cover with this stuff:
ScreenGoo

Pan b:
Go down to the local DIY & buy a black-out roller-blind.
( The kind used in kiddies bedrooms )
Dismantle, turn inside-out, re-assemble.
This way the usually brilliant white surface will be facing out for a roll-up screen rather than a nice picture of cartoon lions! ( or whatever )

Plan a: looks good+professional.
Plan b: less work & rolls up, but the edges will warp so causing potential distortions.

Last edited by Charlie; 22 September 2007 at 16:15.
Old 22 September 2007, 14:17   #3
BinoX
Miggy Man

I used to have an NEC vt460 (before I sold it to my brother)
The VGA on that can sync down to TV resolutions, I used an A600 on it with one of those funny silver adapters
Old 22 September 2007, 18:49   #4
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

@Charlie

Thanks for all the info! I would love to see a demo place (to see LCD vs DLP), but I don't know of any here in Melbourne, Oz. Seems projectors are not very big in this country. LCDs are supposed to be better in ambient light (for the same price), and a bit sharper for text at the native res, and more flexible for positioning in smaller room, which is why I wanted LCD.

@BinoX

Thanks, that is good to know. To do amiga modes through VGA, I know it at least needs to handle digital TV (576i, 480i). But unfortunately, none of the specs say if it is only those discrete modes that work, or anything in between. The hitachi and viewsonic that I mentioned have a custom mode setting, but say that not all custom modes may work (surely it shouldn't need a "custom" mode and will auto adjust!)