English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 18 May 2002, 15:32   #1
lee uk

New-Sensi soccer problem...damn:(

Im sure im not meant to play this game..after all the trouble i had with save disks..a new problem crops up...

Its at the end of the season....goes to the european cup final result...freezes for a minute..then screen goes completely black..then nothin....i waited for 10 minutes...nothing???

Does anybody know what this is??

im using swos 96-97
Old 18 May 2002, 20:57   #2
blackcornflake

I had a similar problem with Sensi on my real Amiga, but only with an unofficial update from Epic.

The problem was due to the size of the English League data file. Unsurprisingly, it is by far the biggest in Sensi, and must be packed, or else it is larger than Sensi's internal buffer, and crash!

The England file is TEAM.008 in the 'data' directory.

The same (RNC algorithm) packing procedure is essential for POOLPLYR.DAT file, too.

Either use ProPack, by Rob Northen Computing, or a reverse-engineered clone of it, PPClone, which is included with SWOSEd archive. SWOSEd? Excellent data editor by Piotr Bieniek. Available from Aminet. It is Shareware: unregistered version has nag requester, no graphics, and (rather crucially) lacks internal use of PPClone. Still usable to snoop around at data files, and the editing and saving of other leagues is OK. Other editors exist, but SWOSEd is my favourite. Well worth a tenner.

Second possible reason for crash: The data for a league is incorrect, e.g. too many/few teams, and Sensi flips out when it gets to it.

Need more info: are you using an install from original disks, or a cracked Sensi? If not an unedited original, the data may be messed up and need fixing with an editor.

Edit (Additional info): TEAM.008 file when packed should be in the region of 25,000 bytes. POOLPLYR.DAT is approx. the same. Sensi does not require a particular exact size.

Tip: Perhaps search online for updated files, which have been packed. Aminet has some. Simply a case of replacing old with new.

There are many great Sensi sites out there, of which SWOS Witnesses and Purple Sensi are two of the best.

Last edited by blackcornflake; 18 May 2002 at 21:44.
Old 18 May 2002, 23:27   #3
lee uk

im using swos 96-97 on the latest winuae???

it obviously requires disk 1 of original too.....nothing has been edited and to be honest i aint got a clue what u going on about..lol

hope this helps...but after reading your initial reply im confused
Old 19 May 2002, 04:03   #4
blackcornflake

What I need to know is:

a) the exact version of Sensi you are using. 96/97: OK. But where is it from? adf, from the net? If so, where? Is is cracked? If so, by whom? I am using SWOS 96/97 without problems, installed from original disks.

b) the size in bytes of the TEAM.008 and the POOLPLYR.DAT files, which reside in SWOS's 'data' drawer. (Folder, if you are used to Windows). Open SWOS drawer and select WB menu option Window/Show/All Files. SWOS should have three drawers; data, grafs and sound. Open data drawer and check the size of those two files.

If they are too big, Sensi will not work past one season.
Old 19 May 2002, 10:18   #5
lee uk

Hey blackcornflake....thx for all your advice..but ive got it to work now.

The problem was, i was using the save snapshot to save the games and for some reason it wouldnt go past season 1....so i started a season again...quickly running thru the results...and this time it managed to work?????

Also..i could never save the game using the "create blank floppy" thru Winuae..but the new version of Winuae lets u create custom floppy...not sure what it means but now i can save swos ok...wooohoooo

Thx again man for trying to figure out my problem...appreciated
Old 19 May 2002, 12:02   #6
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Evil grin

Quote:
Originally posted by lee uk
Also..i could never save the game using the "create blank floppy" thru Winuae..but the new version of Winuae lets u create custom floppy...not sure what it means but now i can save swos ok...wooohoooo
Oh man. That's what I was trying to explain to you in the previous thread. That's why the disk I uploaded to the zone was 1.92MB instead of 880k. You mean you was using an old version of WinUAE all along. Aaaaaaarrrrgggrgh. No wonder it didn't work before. :laugh

blackcornflake did you get my PM I sent you?
Old 19 May 2002, 13:00   #7
lee uk

lol...sorry steve....only just tried the new verison of winuae

Thx for helping me out too..cheers
Old 19 May 2002, 16:54   #8
blackcornflake

Did you guys know you can play Sensi online? Purple Sensi is one site to offer this great thang.

@Steve: I did indeed get your PM.