English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 July 2021, 23:02   #1
tech3475

Any worthwhile custom Kickstart 3.2 ROM mods?

I recently got OS 3.2 for my A1200 and plan on burning my own ROMs since I have the EPROMs lying around (27c800).

However since I have extra space in these chips, looks like I might be able to do a 1M ROM, I'm wondering whether it's worth putting anything else on the ROM these days? Since most discussions I've come across date back to 3.9.

So far the best candidates I've found are:
1) Romdisk - Have a couple of ideas
2) FAT95/CF - to be able to boot off a FAT32 CF card.

But I know the above can be done in different ways and I know others might find silly to put in ROM, so I'm wondering if there's any other more worthwhile options?

Thank you.
Old 07 July 2021, 00:42   #2
utri007
mä vaan

workbench and icon libraries. They have left out from 512kb kickstart to save space.

There is also some reset fix tools for PCMCIA on remus archive. You would also need 1mb rom module and dummycdstrap to remus archive. Here http://www.mfilos.com/2010/12/guide-...kickstart.html
Old 07 July 2021, 05:41   #3
A4000Bear

I have created 1MB 3.2 ROMs. So far, this is what I have added or altered:

Third party icon.library found here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=64079
Read the notes there about using with 3.2
Also workbench.library now moved into the ROM.
NoClick added (from BlizKick)

For convenience, I also added:
PFS3aio
SmartFileSystem

With these added, assuming you want to use one of them, then there is no need to copy those filesystems into the RDB from a floppy when setting up and installing your Amiga for the first time.

I also added FAT95, mainly because there is still plenty of space, and I can't think of anything else to add for the moment.
Old 07 July 2021, 20:27   #4
tech3475

Thanks, so far I've added everything except PCMCIA fix (doesn't seem to be needed), still going to look around and see if there's anything else, otherwise I might just rig up a romdisk since I still have space.

Forgot to say I have I have an A1200 with an ACA1233n so dummycdstrap shouldn't be needed.

Thinking about it, I might put the 68030 library on ROM.

Update:

68030 library just crashes it in Winuae.

Last edited by tech3475; 07 July 2021 at 20:51.
Old 08 July 2021, 01:10   #5
utri007
mä vaan

I used romdisk.device to add CD32 emulator to kickstart. That way allow not only CD32 games from boot, but also CD boot.
Old 08 July 2021, 08:27   #6
whaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
but also CD boot.
interesting, you mean you can start 3.2 cd for installation ?
this work with internal ide only, or external scsi like on the 3000 can work too ?
Old 08 July 2021, 14:15   #7
tech3475

Quote:
I used romdisk.device to add CD32 emulator to kickstart. That way allow not only CD32 games from boot, but also CD boot.
That's good to hear, I've been trying it but had some issues so I stopped.

What emulator are you using? I've been trying IDEFix97's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaka View Post
this work with internal ide only, or external scsi like on the 3000 can work too ?
I've been experimenting with IDEFix97 on WinUAE, it is doable with the CD and HDD set to Amiga IDE, although now I'm having issues which may or may not be related.

Basically the preboot menu freezes when I try to manually select the boot device on second boot.
Old 11 July 2021, 23:06   #8
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech3475 View Post
What emulator are you using? I've been trying IDEFix97's.
Thats the one I used. I replaced cachecdfs one wich cames with OS3.9, but thats about it.

It works only with A1200 internal IDE, maybe Buddha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaka
I don't know about OS3.2, but I installed OS3.9 with help of it.
Old 12 July 2021, 12:29   #9
Higgy

If you have a TF1260 then creating a custom ROM to enable Booting from the much faster card IDE header would be a good one.
I think most TF1260 owners would like this
Old 21 July 2021, 20:55   #10
tech3475

Sorry for the late response, been away.

Quote:
Thats the one I used. I replaced cachecdfs one wich cames with OS3.9, but thats about it.

It works only with A1200 internal IDE, maybe Buddha?
Ok thanks.

I'm wondering if it's a WinUAE related issue, I might try it with the maprom feature on my ACA1233n to see if it works on real hardware and maybe try again from scratch in case it's a weird glitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
If you have a TF1260 then creating a custom ROM to enable Booting from the much faster card IDE header would be a good one.
I think most TF1260 owners would like this
Oh, I wish I had one.

Right now the closest I'm hoping for is something like an Amiga 1200 version of the PiStorm.
Old 12 September 2021, 15:37   #11
Caldor

Any news on this? I am trying to make custom 3.2 ROMs and have been trying different things. Want to use it in my real Amiga 1200, as well as WinUAE and on my MiSTer FPGA and its Minimig core.

I seem to just be told
"File not added: icon.library (Duplicate resident)

when I try to add icon.library with Remus. I cannot figure out why.

I have also been interested in seeing if booting from PCMCIA FAT32 CF card would be possible. Anyone got that to work?

I am also considering adding HRTModule to it... but not sure if that would work. I guess it needs some hardware as well maybe?I think it might work on the MiSTer. Just not sure how you get into it. I think there should be some key combination.

Adding PFS3AIO does that do anything? I keep seeing people commenting about how its part of the file system anyway, so it has to be loaded anyway, but would it maybe not save RAM to have it in the ROM? Then it would not need to be loaded into the RAM? Probably not really relevant, but with the space being there on the ROM anyway, I guess you might as well.

Adding romdisk.device to add CD32 emulation support sounds very interesting. I have done some different CD32 emulation setups on my Amiga 1200 and on the MiSTer. I made a boot that uses a file selector so you pick a CD image during the boot and it then launches that game, I made a boot disk for it and it would look on the PCMCIA CF card for ISO images. I guess with romdisk.device it would require a CD drive?

Edit: I have found that the conflicting library seems to be the system startup library, so that is why it keeps stopping me from adding icon.library and workbench.library.

Last edited by Caldor; 12 September 2021 at 16:14.
Old 12 September 2021, 17:56   #12
jcgeuze

first time i hear about burning roms with extra files, what is the benefit of doing this in stead of loading the files of the hard drive?
Old 12 September 2021, 18:32   #13
nogginthenog
Amigan

Sometimes when ROM modules are updated a reboot is needed. Creating a ROM with the updated modules avoids this. Saves a little RAM too.
Old 12 September 2021, 20:55   #14
daxb

But ROM access is slow as chipram access. That is the reason why people load (remap) the ROM to fastram which is in most cases much faster. Of course enough fastram is available in this case. So, you can just load modules to fastram.

For example ROM 3.1 has limited support for large drives. So if you want better scsi.device you could replace it and limits are gone at boot time.
Old 13 September 2021, 07:25   #15
A4000Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldor View Post

Adding PFS3AIO does that do anything? I keep seeing people commenting about how its part of the file system anyway, so it has to be loaded anyway, but would it maybe not save RAM to have it in the ROM? Then it would not need to be loaded into the RAM? Probably not really relevant, but with the space being there on the ROM anyway, I guess you might as well.

Adding PFS3AIO (or any other filesystem of your choice) is really for convenience. With it in ROM, it is already there when you go to partition your hard drive. No need to load it in externally from a floppy or other media.
Old 13 September 2021, 21:16   #16
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgeuze View Post
first time i hear about burning roms with extra files, what is the benefit of doing this in stead of loading the files of the hard drive?
Without all the libraries workbench and icon in rom you can end up situation where you can't boot your amiga to OS or even without a startup-sequence. Lets say System partion get messed up.

Those libraries in rom you can start Amiga with any boot disk. With current rom you can't, because lack of workbench and icon libraries.

But you can also add extra filesystem and PCMCIA reset fixes, those make life just little easier.
Old 13 September 2021, 22:20   #17
daxb

icon.library and workbench.library are needed for LoadWB but you can start/boot without it. If you know how to use Shell there is no problem. For data corruption a working backup is helpful. If you are in fear of the two libraries just copy them on a floppy disk or make a boot disk.

Extra filesystem in ROM is really not necessary.
Old 14 September 2021, 18:02   #18
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
icon.library and workbench.library are needed for LoadWB but you can start/boot without it. If you know how to use Shell there is no problem. For data corruption a working backup is helpful. If you are in fear of the two libraries just copy them on a floppy disk or make a boot disk.

Extra filesystem in ROM is really not necessary.
No, you can't. Without a workbench.library it is not possible to boot shell. Those libraries are copy right stuff, so fast find needed boot disk might be a difficult. If they are in rom, lets say DPaint II disk can be used to fix OS install.
Old 15 September 2021, 09:22   #19
Jope
-

Quote:
No, you can't. Without a workbench.library it is not possible to boot shell.
I just tried with ROM 3.1.4 and 3.2 and a Workbench 1.3 floppy and no hard disk. Boot with no startup-sequence works in both 3.1.4 and 3.2 just fine and I got into the initial CLI. Why do you insist in repeating this? What are you doing with your computer that you cannot boot with no startup-sequence? That literally always works.

I have no stake in 3.1.4 or 3.2, but I am genuinely puzzled when someone repeats something that I know is different to what I can see on my own amiga.
Old 22 September 2021, 10:40   #20
Slingshot46

Hi,

i have some issues when i try to add icon.library and Workbench Livrary -> Duplicate Resident.

Could someone list in order all the modules to put in the Standard Rom and in the Ext Rom please?

Thx a lot.